JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Thursday, April 3, 2025

Energy Minister: Master gas plan in hand

by

20161007

The mas­ter gas plan re­ceived by the En­er­gy Min­istry on Mon­day, con­tains rec­om­men­da­tions on nat­ur­al gas sup­ply, trans­fer pric­ing, roy­al­ty gas and a gas al­lo­ca­tion pol­i­cy, En­er­gy Min­is­ter Nicole Olivierre said yes­ter­day.

In her con­tri­bu­tion to the 2017 Bud­get de­bate in Par­lia­ment, Olivierre con­firmed the plan was re­ceived. This was af­ter Op­po­si­tion Leader Kam­la Per­sad-Bisses­sar on Thurs­day had queried its where­abouts.

The plan pro­vides the frame­work un­der which all nat­ur­al gas sec­tor is­sues will be ad­dressed.

"The En­er­gy Stand­ing Com­mit­tee en­gaged a spe­cial sub-com­mit­tee to re­view the rec­om­men­da­tions of the plan de­vel­oped by Poten and Part­ners. The team de­lib­er­at­ed for sev­er­al weeks and held con­sul­ta­tions with all nat­ur­al gas sec­tor stake­hold­ers," Olivierre said.

"On Mon­day, the sub-com­mit­tee's chair­man pre­sent­ed me with a com­pre­hen­sive re­port with clear rec­om­men­da­tions that Gov­ern­ment may wish to pur­sue as pri­or­i­ty mea­sures."

Oth­er ar­eas the plan cov­ers in­clude cross-bor­der gas sup­plies, the role of the Na­tion­al Gas Com­pa­ny (NGC) and LNG con­tract re­new­al. The min­is­ter will take the re­port to the next meet­ing of the En­er­gy Stand­ing Com­mit­tee for ap­proval.

Once ap­proved for im­ple­men­ta­tion, more in­for­ma­tion will be pro­vid­ed to Par­lia­ment, she said.

Olivierre said con­sul­ta­tions with all stake­hold­ers took place in Au­gust on the Plan as well as en­er­gy sec­tor pol­i­cy.

She said the prog­no­sis was for fair­ly sta­ble gas prices in the near fu­ture up to US$)2.87MMB­TU in 2017. How­ev­er, the re­sults of the nat­ur­al gas re­serves au­dit, which was just re­ceived, has shown a 0.9 TCF de­crease in proven re­serves which now stand at 10.6 TCF.

Risked prob­a­ble and pos­si­ble re­serves, as well as ex­plo­ration po­ten­tial, are al­so re­duced.

"This low re­serves re­place­ment ra­tion of 34 per cent is clear­ly not sus­tain­able. But sev­er­al op­er­a­tors are do­ing work that can have a pos­i­tive im­pact on this," Olivierre said.

She added the min­istry had al­so en­gaged in re­claim­ing ac­er­age from op­er­a­tors who did not ful­fil their manda­to­ry work pro­grammes.

"We're in the process of re­claim­ing acreage from one op­er­a­tor and the re­claimed blocks will even­tu­al­ly be of­fered for ex­plo­ration to the in­dus­try," she said.

Olivierre said Petrotrin had been man­dat­ed to ar­rest crude oil pro­duc­tion de­cline, in­clud­ing by seek­ing new com­mer­cial part­ner­ships to de­vel­op Trin­mar's as­sets.

An in­ter­na­tion­al con­sul­tant will be en­gaged to ad­vise on a part­ner for the en­tire Trin­mar ac­er­age.

Based on var­i­ous strate­gies in Petrotrin's five-year busi­ness plan, crude oil pro­duc­tion is ex­pect­ed to re­main "fair­ly sta­ble around 44,538 bar­rels in 2017, pro­ject­ed to in­crease to 59,472 by 2020."

De­tail­ing drilling/ex­plo­ration by var­i­ous com­pa­nies, Oliviere said a Shal­low Wa­ter Com­pet­i­tive Bid Round is be­ing con­sid­ered for the first quar­ter of 2017 and an On­shore Com­pet­i­tive Bid Round may be con­sid­ered in the "near fu­ture once the mar­ket re­cov­ers."

Olivierre said the re­ac­ti­vat­ed T&T-Ghana in­vest­ment agree­ment will al­low this coun­try to own "a tan­gi­ble ac­tu­al re­al piece of phys­i­cal in­fra­struc­ture in Ghana for trans­mis­sion of nat­ur­al gas for pow­er gen­er­a­tion. This will earn valu­able for­eign ex­change and help di­ver­si­fy state en­ter­prise rev­enue base."

The Sup­ple­men­tal Pe­tro­le­um Tax is be­ing ad­dressed to deal with cur­rent dis­in­cen­tives to small and medi­um op­er­a­tors and to en­cour­age pro­duc­tion of "strand­ed" oil and gas on land and off­shore.

She added that there had been sig­nif­i­cant progress on long­stand­ing Lo­ran Man­a­tee ne­go­ti­a­tions. A fi­nal draft un­der­stand­ing of agree­ment (UOA) was re­ceived in re­sponse to a Sep­tem­ber 20 dead­line giv­en by the Min­istry and the agree­ment is be­ing re­viewed.

"By year end we'll be so much clos­er to see­ing that cross bor­der ar­riv­ing in a pipeline in T&T," Olivierre said.


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored