JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Thursday, April 3, 2025

Military manhunt, bomb scare at GML

by

20140715

A mil­i­tary man­hunt for a man who sol­diers say can help them solve the mur­der of their col­league Kay­o­de Thomas led to dra­ma on the doorstep of Guardian Me­dia Ltd yes­ter­day.The sus­pect, iden­ti­fied as Dil­lon "Bandy" Skeete, agreed to meet with a T&T Guardian re­porter ear­li­er yes­ter­day. Af­ter sev­er­al con­ver­sa­tions be­tween the re­porter and a lawyer rep­re­sent­ing him, Skeete even­tu­al­ly agreed to meet at the T&T Guardian build­ing at St Vin­cent Street, Port-of-Spain, around 4 pm.A se­ries of in­ci­dents took place short­ly be­fore the meet­ing.

Armed sol­diers rushed in­to the Queen Street carpark of the news­pa­per and ques­tioned the se­cu­ri­ty guard and an­oth­er mem­ber of staff about a red Maz­da car which had been parked there since 6.15 am.The dri­ver of the car told the se­cu­ri­ty guard on du­ty that she was a new em­ploy­ee and worked at CNC3. When she left, how­ev­er, she said she was work­ing at the T&T Guardian sales de­part­ment.An­oth­er group of sol­diers were seen parked on St Vin­cent Street, me­tres away from the en­trance to the T&T Guardian build­ing, in a mil­i­tary ve­hi­cle.Short­ly af­ter 3 pm, Skeete's lawyer, Rus­sell Warn­er, ar­rived in the lob­by. Skeete, ac­com­pa­nied by three women, ar­rived mo­ments lat­er. Dur­ing the in­ter­view, Skeete claimed he was be­ing hunt­ed across the coun­try by sol­diers and feared for his life.

As the in­ter­view was end­ing, about 20 min­utes lat­er, an uniden­ti­fied man tele­phoned the T&T Guardian op­er­a­tor and said there was a bomb in the build­ing and it would blow up if "you all don't ----ing come out."By then Skeete had left the build­ing.A se­nior sol­dier then tele­phoned an ed­i­tor say­ing he had heard a man who sol­diers were look­ing for was in the build­ing.Af­ter the bomb threat, alarms were set off and staff from the var­i­ous me­dia arms of GML, in­clud­ing tele­vi­sion sta­tion CNC3 and the GML ra­dio sta­tions, be­gan pour­ing out of the build­ing to gath­er at the muster point at Wood­ford Square.Po­lice and fire­fight­ers blocked off St Vin­cent Street, di­rect­ing rush-hour traf­fic along al­ter­na­tive routes.Po­lice as­signed to Spe­cial Branch, the in­tel­li­gence-gath­er­ing unit of the Po­lice Ser­vice, were the first to re­spond. They were lat­er joined by po­lice as­signed to the Ca­nine Unit and two bomb-sniff­ing dogs.

Dur­ing a de­tailed search, which last­ed al­most two hours, the po­lice were ac­com­pa­nied by three mem­bers of GML staff. They gave the all-clear to re­turn to the build­ing around 5.45 pm.

The dis­rup­tion de­layed the CNC3 7 pm news­cast and af­fect­ed the Crime Watch pro­gramme and oth­er me­dia op­er­a­tions.Skeete's lawyer said his client was able to elude the mil­i­tary drag­net and made it to a safe lo­ca­tion.

Skeete: I'm scared for my life

In the in­ter­view Skeete said mem­bers of his fam­i­ly were be­ing ha­rassed by sol­diers in dif­fer­ent parts of the coun­try.He said on Ju­ly 9, his moth­er's house in To­co was searched, op­er­at­ing with­out po­lice as­sis­tance.Skeete de­scribed sim­i­lar search­es at his home in East Dry Riv­er, Port-of-Spain, and at a rel­a­tive's home in Cou­va. Sol­diers al­so searched an­oth­er rel­a­tive's home in Champs Fleurs."I'm scared for my life," Skeete said, adding that there was no war­rant out for his ar­rest.

A mem­ber of the po­lice Homi­cide Bu­reau con­firmed there was no war­rant out for Skeete nor was he want­ed for ques­tion­ing over the sol­dier's mur­der.Skeete said he has had no di­rect con­ver­sa­tion with ei­ther po­lice or sol­diers and had been speak­ing to po­lice through his lawyers."To me, it looks like those sol­diers just want to out my lights. They are com­ing in masks and they are threat­en­ing my fam­i­ly," he said. He ad­mit­ted that he has two mat­ters pend­ing in court for pur­chas­ing a stolen phone and ob­scene lan­guage and said some oth­er mat­ters, which he did not iden­ti­fy, were thrown out of court.

Skeete said sol­diers had ha­rassed his eight-year-old son and his girl­friend.Asked why he felt sol­diers were look­ing for him, he said he was told it was in re­la­tion to the mur­der of Thomas on June 29."He (Thomas) was my cousin. He was killed in Bev­er­ly Hills. I am from East Dry Riv­er. There is no way I can go there."He ex­plained that was be­cause of con­flict be­tween some res­i­dents of both ar­eas.He said he could not go to work as a con­trac­tor with the Hous­ing De­vel­op­ment Cor­po­ra­tion or stay home with his chil­dren but was forced to hide in fear for his life.

"I re­al­ly want this to stop," he added.

Army: Public­should co-op­er­ate

The T&T Guardian con­tact­ed civ­il mil­i­tary af­fairs of­fi­cer of the De­fence Force Ma­jor Al Alexan­der, who said sol­diers were ac­com­pa­nied by po­lice when they searched Skeete's rel­a­tives' home in Cou­va.Nei­ther Alexan­der or Pub­lic Af­fairs Of­fi­cer of the Reg­i­ment, Capt Ste­fan Al­fon­so, said they were look­ing in­to in­for­ma­tion pro­vid­ed by the me­dia yes­ter­day.Al­fon­so said: "The reg­i­ment is in­ves­ti­gat­ing these re­ports and we are al­so ask­ing mem­bers of the pub­lic to co-op­er­ate with us and pro­vide any in­for­ma­tion or ev­i­dence of abuse by sol­diers to help with in­ves­ti­ga­tions."

GML re­sponds

Com­ment­ing on the bomb threat, man­ag­ing di­rec­tor of Guardian Me­dia Ltd Lisa Agard said it was an at­tack on press free­dom.

"I am very con­cerned if some­one can so eas­i­ly and so non­cha­lant­ly call in a bomb threat in to a me­dia house and dis­rupt our op­er­a­tions so sig­nif­i­cant­ly.

"We have to be very con­cerned and we have to be wor­ried about this at­tack on the me­dia – and we re­gard it as an at­tack on the me­dia," Agard said.


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored