JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Thursday, April 3, 2025

PoS Corporation slammed for handling of Muslimeen land matter

by

20120827

The Port-of-Spain (POS) City Cor­po­ra­tion's han­dling of the oc­cu­pan­cy of land by the Ja­maat al Mus­limeen at No 1 Mu­cu­rapo Road, St James was ques­tioned yes­ter­day by lead coun­sel to the Com­mis­sion of En­quiry, Av­ery Sinanan, SC, as the Com­mis­sion of En­quiry in­to the 1990 at­tempt­ed-coup re­sumed at the Caribbean Court of Jus­tice (CCJ), Hen­ry Street, Port-of-Spain. Through­out the tes­ti­mo­ny the lead coun­sel demon­strat­ed sev­er­al in­con­sis­ten­cies in the cor­po­ra­tion's han­dling of the mat­ter such as de­layed re­spons­es to let­ters sent by the Mus­limeen and the cor­po­ra­tion's year-long de­lay in re­spons­es to its in­spec­tor's re­port about the group's il­le­gal oc­cu­pa­tion of the land. De­o­raj Ram­ta­hal, the city en­gi­neer and for­mer build­ing in­spec­tor, took the stand to tes­ti­fy as to the cor­po­ra­tion's role in the Ja­maat's claim in a May 1 T&T Guardian re­port that a land row caused the Ju­ly 27, 1990 at­tempt­ed coup.

For­mer At­tor­ney Gen­er­al John Je­re­mie, SC, the State's at­tor­ney, opened the pro­ceed­ings by say­ing Ram­ta­hal had made a writ­ten re­port about the il­le­gal oc­cu­pa­tion of the lands by the Ja­maat al Mus­limeen in his then func­tion as Build­ing In­spec­tor 1 with the City Cor­po­ra­tion and was asked if he stood by it. The re­port was made in Oc­to­ber 1987 and Ram­ta­hal said it was part of his nor­mal func­tions as build­ing in­spec­tor to ex­am­ine the premis­es. As a con­se­quence of the DR [Ram­ta­hal's ini­tials] re­port a no­tice was served to the Mus­limeen group for il­le­gal con­struc­tion ac­tiv­i­ty. Ram­ta­hal said the is­sues sur­round­ing this were nev­er re­solved. Dur­ing Sinanan's cross-ex­am­i­na­tion, the lead coun­sel re­ferred to doc­u­ments (let­ters, no­tices, etc) pro­vid­ed by Ram­ta­hal and the cor­po­ra­tion. A 1969 Cab­i­net note grant­ed the Is­lam­ic Mis­sion­ar­ies Guild the right to oc­cu­py lands at Mu­cu­rapo Road with the un­der­stand­ing that an Is­lam­ic cul­tur­al cen­tre would be con­struct­ed there. In 1972, coun­sel in­formed the court, the Ja­maat al Mus­limeen re­placed the Is­lam­ic Guild on the 8.8 acres of land.

Of that land, 3.4 acres be­longed to the cor­po­ra­tion. Al­though there was no of­fi­cial doc­u­men­ta­tion to show the prop­er­ty had been trans­ferred, the cor­po­ra­tion still ac­cept­ed rates and tax­es from the Mus­limeen. Ram­ta­hal coun­tered that rates and tax­es could be paid by any­one but re­ceipt of pay­ment would be gen­er­at­ed un­der the own­er's name.

Sinanan then asked if it was the pol­i­cy of the cor­po­ra­tion to ac­cept rates and tax­es from il­le­gal oc­cu­piers, to which Ram­ta­hal qui­et­ly replied, "No." He in­formed the court a num­ber of no­tices were served on the Mus­limeen but the on­ly ac­tion tak­en against the group was in 1984 for tres­pass. In that same year and af­ter a judge­ment by Jus­tice Brooks the cor­po­ra­tion of­fered the Mus­limeen a 25-year lease with the op­tion to re­new for an­oth­er 25 years. Sinanan then dis­sect­ed Ram­ta­hal's tes­ti­mo­ny through Bun­dle B (a se­ries of doc­u­ments out­lin­ing the cor­po­ra­tion's han­dling of the land mat­ter). He showed on June 21, 1990, Bakr sent a let­ter to the cor­po­ra­tion seek­ing reg­u­lar­i­sa­tion and ac­cept­ing the cor­po­ra­tion's of­fer of a lease for 25 years. Sinanan said the cor­po­ra­tion did not re­spond, nor did it seem in­ter­est­ed in dis­cussing a lease with the group. This, he said, was sub­se­quent to a meet­ing on June 18 in which the then may­or, Au­gus­tus Williams met with the Ja­maat to dis­cuss the land is­sue. Be­fore these events, in Oc­to­ber 1987, the Ja­maat ap­plied for per­mis­sion to build a school. The ap­pli­ca­tion, Sinanan ar­gued, was made on the premise of se­cur­ing 8.8 acres of land. An April 14,1989 re­port, done by Ram­ta­hal, said il­le­gal struc­tures were be­ing built on the lands. It then took the cor­po­ra­tion an en­tire year to re­spond to Ram­ta­hal's re­port (April 18, 1990) when it sent the Mus­limeen a 14-day cease-and-de­sist no­tice. Mem­bers of the com­mis­sion, who con­stant­ly in­ter­vened for clar­i­fi­ca­tion and more in­for­ma­tion, de­scribed the cor­po­ra­tion as a "tooth­less bull­dog" for its in­ac­tion.


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored