JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Thursday, April 3, 2025

Creed breaks silence on absence: I am due to retire soon

by

20140705

Per­ma­nent Sec­re­tary in the Min­istry of Sport, Ash­win Creed, in an e-mail ex­change with the Sun­day Guardian, says he has ac­cu­mu­lat­ed more than 250 days leave which he is util­is­ing. Af­ter this ends, Creed may be pro­ceed­ing on pre-re­tire­ment leave.Creed and oth­er min­istry of­fi­cials have dom­i­nat­ed the me­dia as, week af­ter week, more in­for­ma­tion re­gard­ing the mul­ti-mil­lion dol­lar Life Sport pro­gramme has come to the sur­face.

There were nu­mer­ous unan­swered ques­tions, in­clud­ing some with re­gard to Creed's pro­longed ab­sence from the job, in the light of the on­go­ing au­dit in­to the con­tentious pro­gramme.While many have at­trib­uted sin­is­ter rea­sons to Creed's ab­sence, with both Op­po­si­tion Leader Dr Kei­th Row­ley and for­mer min­is­ter of Na­tion­al Se­cu­ri­ty Jack Warn­er claim­ing that Creed was out of the coun­try be­cause of threats to his life, Creed ex­plained his pro­longed ab­sence to the Sun­day Guardian.

"I have 33-and-a-third years ser­vice, and I have ac­cu­mu­lat­ed 250 days un­used leave since I have not tak­en leave for 12 years...I left on per­son­al and fam­i­ly busi­ness as I am en­ti­tled to do," he said."I am due to re­tire soon," Creed added, height­en­ing spec­u­la­tion that he may not have to re­turn to the PS job, but may pro­ceed from time off straight in­to pre-re­tire­ment leave be­fore ex­it­ing the pub­lic ser­vice.Creed said when he left the coun­try on May 13, 2014, there was no probe in­to the Life Sport pro­gramme.

"I could un­der­stand the furore if I had left the coun­try while the probe was al­ready un­der­tak­en. If the probe had been ini­ti­at­ed while I was still in the coun­try, I would not have left. There was no probe of the pro­gramme when I left the coun­try, and I am not go­ing to re­turn un­til I have com­plet­ed my busi­ness abroad, since I am en­ti­tled to my un­used leave," he said.He said de­spite re­ports that his ab­sence was hold­ing up the probe, he was not run­ning away from the au­dit. He was al­so will­ing to be in­ter­viewed, Creed said.

"I am not afraid of scruti­ny be­cause there were three pre­vi­ous au­dits un­der­tak­en. Two were un­der­tak­en by Cen­tral Au­dit and one by the Au­di­tor Gen­er­al. I presided over all three, and I am cer­tain­ly will­ing and pre­pared to make my­self avail­able for the fourth one. I stand ready to as­sist and to re­spond to the con­cerns of the au­di­tors," he said.De­spite the rash of neg­a­tive at­ten­tion the pro­gramme has been re­ceiv­ing re­cent­ly, Creed de­fend­ed the pro­gramme as a pos­i­tive one.

"The Life Sport pro­gramme is an evolv­ing pro­gramme. The pro­gramme is re­al­ly vir­gin ter­ri­to­ry and as the pro­gramme evolves, then changes can be made to it to meet the new changes. For ex­am­ple, when the pro­gramme start­ed it iden­ti­fied mu­si­cal tal­ent. "But as the pro­gramme de­vel­oped, it iden­ti­fied oth­er cre­ative ar­eas and there­fore the pro­gramme evolved to ac­com­mo­date those new and cre­ative de­mands.

"So to use the term 'keep the pro­gramme in its orig­i­nal for­mat' is un­du­ly re­stric­tive and will on­ly lock down the pro­gramme too nar­row­ly, which is not nec­es­sar­i­ly de­sir­able," he said.He re­fused to com­ment on the pro­grammes be­ing moved from his own line min­is­ter, Sport Min­is­ter Anil Roberts, to Na­tion­al Se­cu­ri­ty Min­is­ter Gary Grif­fith.

"The de­ci­sion to move the pro­gramme to the Min­istry of Na­tion­al Se­cu­ri­ty (MNS) is a Cab­i­net pol­i­cy de­ci­sion. I am a pub­lic ser­vant, and it is not my place to com­ment on pol­i­cy de­ci­sions as a pub­lic ser­vant," he said.In a sub­se­quent e-mail, Creed added that it would be "hard to de­ter­mine any fall­out" as the pro­gramme moved from the Sport Min­istry to Na­tion­al Se­cu­ri­ty.

"Every­thing de­pends on the vi­sion that MNS has for the pro­gramme and how they in­tend to ad­min­is­ter it. I can't pre­de­ter­mine the vi­sion of the MNS for the pro­gramme. But the pro­gramme, by its very na­ture, re­quires a holis­tic na­tion­al agen­da in trans­form­ing the lives of the 'at-risk' in the so­ci­ety. The best way to do this is to forge al­liances with civ­il so­ci­ety, NGOs and oth­er min­istries of gov­ern­ment. The un­der­ly­ing phi­los­o­phy of the Life Sport pro­gramme is na­tion build­ing for the fu­ture," he said.

When asked if his ab­sence would cause fur­ther harm to the pro­gramme and to deputy di­rec­tor Ruth Marchan, Creed said the strength of the Life Sport pro­gramme was not in the PS alone."The strength of the pro­gramme re­sides in the di­rec­tor, the two deputy di­rec­tors, the re­gion­al man­agers, the co-or­di­na­tors, and the coach­es who make up the whole cadre of per­sons who ad­min­is­ter the pro­gramme. The PS mere­ly gives over­sight to the pro­gramme," he said.

"The strength of the pro­gramme has al­so been in the par­tic­i­pants them­selves. They made the pro­gramme work. They em­braced the op­por­tu­ni­ty af­ford­ed to them for growth, and the co-or­di­na­tors and coach­es fa­cil­i­tat­ed this change process," he said.

"The for­mat that the pro­gramme adopts has to be de­ter­mined by and is de­pen­dent on its per­for­mance. So that as the pro­gramme evolves there is a re­search com­po­nent to track and as­sess the pro­gramme's de­vel­op­ment over time, which in­for­ma­tion would then in­form how the pro­gramme evolves. It was al­ways the in­ten­tion of the Life Sport pro­gramme to part­ner with oth­er stake­hold­ers. For in­stance, the Min­istries of Ed­u­ca­tion, Na­tion­al Se­cu­ri­ty and So­cial De­vel­op­ment," he said.

"As the pro­gramme's vi­sion broad­ened over time, nat­u­ral­ly wider stake­hold­er dis­cus­sions would have had to be en­gaged in," he said. He al­so re­fused to com­ment on the al­leged plot to hurt Marchan and the mur­der of Cur­tis "Tall­man" Gib­son."Threats to Ms Marchan are a po­lice mat­ter and it is there­fore not pru­dent to spec­u­late," he said.Creed's at­tor­ney Pe­ter Tay­lor who fa­cil­i­tat­ed this in­ter­view is out of the coun­try on per­son­al busi­ness.


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored