JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Friday, April 4, 2025

Plans for Carnival 2022 leave sour taste

for former TTCBA president

by

CHARLES KONG SOO
1154 days ago
20220206
Former president of the T&T Carnival Bands Association Gerard Weekes.

Former president of the T&T Carnival Bands Association Gerard Weekes.

For­mer pres­i­dent of the T&T Car­ni­val Bands As­so­ci­a­tion (TTC­BA) Ger­ard Weekes says the Gov­ern­ment's pro­posed con­trolled Car­ni­val safe zones bub­ble will burst.

He de­clared that "A Taste of Car­ni­val 2022" ben­e­fits all the stake­hold­ers in the in­dus­try ex­cept the re­al dri­ving force be­hind Car­ni­val–the cre­atives.

Speak­ing to the Sun­day Guardian re­cent­ly, Weekes said the pow­ers that be are again at­tempt­ing to dis­re­spect the arts and cul­ture.

"Those of us who have been in­volved in it for many years and have a pas­sion for our cre­ative tal­ents are al­ways not recog­nised or re­ward­ed in the right man­ner.

"This is just an­oth­er at­tempt to ob­tain and gain sub­ven­tions by the NCC (Na­tion­al Car­ni­val Com­mis­sion) to sat­is­fy their own chal­lenges and not re­al­ly take in­to ac­count the needs of the cre­atives, all of whom suf­fered for the last two years due to the pan­dem­ic.

"We are in the midst of a pan­dem­ic, dur­ing this time when so many peo­ple have been chal­lenged and deal­ing with deaths dai­ly, what do they ex­pect will hap­pen and who will ben­e­fit?" he asked.

Weekes said the NCC will now seek sub­ven­tions for their con­trac­tors to in­stall the stage, lights, sound, and all the lo­gis­tics for host­ing these events while the grass­roots cre­atives are de­prived of any re­al ben­e­fits.

Weekes was ap­palled by the fact that the Gov­ern­ment would even con­sid­er hav­ing any sem­blance of Car­ni­val in 2022.

The Gov­ern­ment has al­lo­cat­ed $20 mil­lion for Car­ni­val, a $10 mil­lion cut from the $30 mil­lion that was orig­i­nal­ly an­nounced.

On Thurs­day the Min­istry of Tourism, Cul­ture and the Arts an­nounced that sup­port for Trinidad and To­ba­go’s “Taste of Car­ni­val” had been ap­proved. The bud­get al­lo­cat­ed to the NCC is $15 mil­lion for the host­ing of its events along with the three spe­cial in­ter­est groups, Pan Trin­ba­go, TU­CO, and the TTC­BA.

A fur­ther $5 mil­lion will be pro­vid­ed in spon­sor­ship sup­port to small­er, sep­a­rate­ly pro­mot­ed safe zone type of events. This spon­sor­ship will as­sist in off­set­ting some ex­pen­di­ture re­lat­ed to the pay­ment of artistes and per­for­mance fees to the cre­atives in­volved through the min­istry’s ap­proved ap­pli­ca­tion process, the min­istry stat­ed.

The band­leader for Mas Pas­sion said when one con­sid­ered Car­ni­val and its his­to­ry, every­one un­der­stood that the fes­ti­val was about the strug­gle of the peo­ple, the grass­roots, who were the main cre­atives.

He ex­plained T&T was the mec­ca of Car­ni­val, it was the home to the great­est show on earth, where the en­tire coun­try comes alive in the fes­tive mode, for both adults and chil­dren re­gard­less of re­li­gion, eth­nic­i­ty, gen­der or pref­er­ence of par­ty. "The way we vote is not how we par­ty," he added.

Weekes said hy­brid ver­sions of Car­ni­val had been ex­port­ed glob­al­ly be­cause of its in­fec­tious spir­it and eco­nom­ic im­pact, but none can com­pare to that of the Mec­ca of Car­ni­val; T&T.

Weekes dis­closed over the past decade T&T had lost its essence of in­trigue in host­ing the six to eight-week-long fes­ti­val lead­ing to the fi­nal two days of cli­max in the pa­rade of bands, due to its high cost of pro­duc­tion along with poor plan­ning and hur­ried repet­i­tive ex­e­cu­tion of its ad­min­is­tra­tion.

Ac­cord­ing to the busi­ness­man, the huge de­cline in au­di­ences at ca­lyp­so tents and Car­ni­val shows had been ev­i­dent. Many bands had con­tin­ued to suf­fer loss­es due to the lack of par­tic­i­pa­tion as a re­sult of the high cost of cos­tumes.

Weekes dis­closed that their de­pen­den­cy had been main­ly on the for­eign na­tion­als' in­ter­est in play­ing mas.

He stat­ed that fetes had be­come mar­gin­alised with changes in al­co­hol con­sump­tion laws and se­cu­ri­ty is­sues pro­mot­ing a re­turn to cheap­er back-yard events tak­ing prece­dence.

Weekes re­vealed that coun­tries like Ja­maica, Mi­a­mi, Toron­to and oth­ers were be­com­ing more af­ford­able Car­ni­val des­ti­na­tions for fete seek­ers with bet­ter eco­nom­ic re­turns for pro­mot­ers.

He not­ed that the ad­vent of COVID-19 had great­ly im­pact­ed the cre­ative in­dus­try fi­nan­cial­ly and he was cer­tain that many of the coun­try's tal­ents though ea­ger to re­turn to the Car­ni­val are­na will not pos­sess the fi­nan­cial where­with­al to pro­duce a ma­jor pre­sen­ta­tion at this late stage.

Weekes opined one would think that the NCC dur­ing the pe­ri­od of COVID-19 would have used the op­por­tu­ni­ty to plan and pre­pare for a grand re­turn; one with a bang where the coun­try would cre­ative­ly come alive and once again set the trend for the world main­tain­ing T&T as the moth­er of all Car­ni­vals.

He added de­ri­sive­ly that the pow­ers that be were in­stead em­brac­ing a hy­brid ver­sion for 2022, safe zone events for the vac­ci­nat­ed on­ly.

Weekes be­lieves that the present stake­hold­ers TTC­BA, TU­CO and Pantrin­ba­go all lack the lead­er­ship qual­i­ties to man­age and ad­min­is­trate their re­spec­tive mem­ber­ships.

Weekes said that dur­ing the past year nei­ther the NCC nor any of the stake­hold­ers had been able to cre­ate a plat­form, vir­tu­al or oth­er­wise, to present and sup­port the fra­ter­ni­ty to gen­er­ate rev­enue for/or to ed­u­cate their re­spec­tive as­so­ci­a­tions.

Carnival


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored