JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Thursday, April 3, 2025

How Sagicor Exodus came to settle for $1

by

20110211

The three dai­ly news­pa­pers all car­ried the ad­ver­tise­ment on Fri­day, De­cem­ber 3, last year. "Pan Trin­ba­go Apol­o­gy to Ex­o­dus" screamed the head­line over the body of text that stat­ed in its fi­nal para­graph: "In an ef­fort to re­solve this mat­ter which has been un­der le­gal con­sid­er­a­tion since then, Sagi­cor Ex­o­dus has agreed to ac­cept the sum of $1 rep­re­sent­ing dam­ages." What had the Caribbean Panora­ma, World Steel­band Mu­sic Fes­ti­val and Na­tion­al Panora­ma cham­pi­ons done to be­come em­broiled in a le­gal mat­ter with Pan Trin­ba­go and, af­ter be­ing vic­to­ri­ous,set­tle for just one dol­lar?

This had al­ways piqued my cu­rios­i­ty, so I felt com­pelled to get the facts now that Panora­ma 2011 is here, and es­pe­cial­ly as Sagi­cor Ex­o­dus did not make it to the fi­nal last year. Ac­cord­ing to band man­ag­er Ainsworth Mo­hammed, the mat­ter stemmed from an in­ci­dent on stage at the Na­tion­al Panora­ma fi­nal­sof2009 when the band was­forced to re­duce its com­ple­ment of play­ers­for what Pan Trin­ba­go claimed was ex­ceed­ing the play­er lim­it on stage. "Pri­or to 2009, large bands were al­lowed to field 120 play­ers in the Panora­ma," ex­plained Mo­hammed."How­ev­er, Pan Trin­ba­go de­cid­ed to re­duce the num­ber to 100 at an ex­tra­or­di­nary gen­er­al meet­ing called to dis­cuss the is­sue on No­vem­ber 29, 2008."

Af­ter ob­jec­tions to the de­ci­sion aired at the meet­ing with some of the large bands, the or­gan­i­sa­tion's then pres­i­dent Patrick Arnold agreed, through an amend­ment, to re­verse the de­ci­sion and al­low the large bands to com­pete with 120 play­ers. Mo­hammed point­ed out, how­ev­er, be­fore the se­mi-fi­nal round of com­pe­ti­tion, that Arnold called a meet­ing in Pan Trin­ba­go's car park to say he had erred in is­su­ing the amend­ment, so the de­ci­sion tak­en at the ex­tra­or­di­nary gen­er­al meet­ing­had to be en­forced.

"But as far as Sagi­cor Ex­o­dus was con­cerned that ex­tra­or­di­nary gen­er­al meet­ing was un­con­sti­tu­tion­al,in thatthe rules were breached," said Mo­hammed. "Bands did not re­ceive the stip­u­lat­ed 30 days ad­van­ceno­tice, the spe­cif­ic agen­da was not­statedand there was no quo­rum for the meet­ing. "To make mat­ters worse, all present at that meet­ing were al­lowed to vote whether you were a del­e­gate or not. "What should be not­ed is that over the years bands were nev­er has­sled for play­ing with num­bers in ex­cess of the "stip­u­lat­ed" amount.

"Large bands do not ever con­cern them­selves about num­bers as they are ful­ly aware of the fact that the qual­i­ty and ex­e­cu­tion of the mu­sic is what re­al­ly mat­ters." At the end of the se­mi-fi­nal round of Panora­ma 2009, Sagi­cor Ex­o­dus was sec­ond to Phase II Pan Groove by a mere two points. "But we learned that Arnold said he want­ed to 'break up the big five'-Des­per­a­does, Phase II, All Stars, Rene­gades and Ex­o­dus," said Mo­hammed.

"So on the night of the fi­nal some­one called and told him we were ap­pear­ing with more than 100 play­ers. I called him one hour be­fore the start on his cell phone to en­quire, and he ad­mit­ted that he re­ceived the call, but said he 'was not tak­ing on that.' "Yet, when we went on stage we were de­layed for near­ly 45 min­utes by­Pan Trin­ba­go per­son­nel and po­lice who were there to en­sure law and or­der and not to de­ter­mine the num­bers in bands. "Sagi­cor Ex­o­dus wasthe sec­ond in play­ing po­si­tion, but the first of the "pow­er" bands.Wead­mit­ted to the of­fi­cials that we had 124 play­ers, and we were bul­lied by them and the Po­lice to re­duce the num­bers to 100. This was nev­er done be­fore by any past pres­i­dent of Pan Trin­ba­go.

"We com­plied in­order not to fur­ther de­lay the show and in the in­ter­est of the pay­ing pa­trons and a 'live' tele­vi­sion au­di­ence. "At the end of the per­for­mance,two mem­bers of the then ex­ec­u­tive of Pan Trin­bagorushed to the judges' en­clo­sure de­mand­ing that no marks be scored for us, and we should be dis­qual­i­fied. When the re­sults were an­nounced, the band placed sixth." Some will be of the view that all the bands were re­quest­ed there­after to per­form with 100 play­ers and there­fore the play­ing field would have been lev­eled. Fact is, checks re­vealed that oth­er bands had the ben­e­fit of ad­vance no­tice, al­beit on the same night, but they were not sub­ject­ed to ha­rass­ment by Pan Trin­ba­go of­fi­cials and the po­lice. They al­so were not seen as hav­ing de­layed the show by some 45 min­utes.

Sagi­cor Ex­o­dus was de­ter­mined to clear its name and its im­age of dis­ci­pline and pro­fes­sion­al­ism, and so em­ployed the ser­vices of at­tor­ney El­ton Prescott, SC. Com­mu­ni­ca­tion be­tween at­tor­neys be­gan in May 2009, with a view of com­ing to some am­i­ca­ble set­tle­ment and to avoid go­ing to court. Af­ter re­view­ing the facts, Patrick Arnold ad­mit­ted ver­bal­ly that the or­gan­i­sa­tion had erred. But be­fore arrange­ments for set­tle­ment were agreed to, he was vot­ed out of of­fice. The new pres­i­dent of Pan Trin­ba­go Kei­th Di­az, up­on as­sum­ing of­fice in late 2009 and af­ter hear­ing the facts, con­ced­ed that Pan Trin­ba­go was at fault, and sought an out-of-court set­tle­ment of the mat­ter.

In recog­ni­tion of the fact that Di­az and his new ad­min­is­tra­tion were not to be blamed, Sagi­cor Ex­o­dus agreed to set­tle un­der the fol­low­ing con­di­tions:

•a pub­lic apol­o­gy word­ed to its sat­is­fac­tion in the three dai­ly news­pa­pers;

•pan Trin­ba­go meet all le­gal costs; and

•ac­knowl­edg­ing that dam­age would have been in­curred with re­spect to "loss of earn­ings" and "rep­u­ta­tion­al dam­ages."

Sagi­cor Ex­o­dus had agreed to ac­cept the nom­i­nal sum of $1 in set­tle­ment.

When pressed for a rea­son for ac­cept­ing such a sum af­ter all the ef­fort, time and en­er­gy in get­ting Pan Trin­ba­go's ad­mis­sion that it was at fault, Mo­hammed said: "Ex­o­dus was borno­ut of prin­ci­ple, and in fair­ness to the new Pan Trin­ba­go ad­min­is­tra­tion led by Kei­th Di­az, though we need­ed the mon­ey al­so, we just could not bring our­selves to ex­ploit the sit­u­a­tion which was not of their mak­ing. "We are al­so hop­ing that no steel­band will ever be sub­ject­ed­to this kind of treat­ment and dis­re­spect in the fu­ture," he added.


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored