JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Thursday, April 3, 2025

'Trafficked' Indians to return home

by

20110423
Stuart Charles-Fevrier

Stuart Charles-Fevrier

In­di­an na­tion­als Di­nesh Chand Jatav, Jagdish Mali and Bab­u­lal Jatav-who claimed they were vic­tims of a hu­man traf­fick­ing ring in Trinidad-will fi­nal­ly leave T&T shores next Sun­day.Al­though the men were giv­en air­line tick­ets by the In­dia High Com­mis­sion last Wednes­day, Man­ju Ver­ma who un­earthed the traf­fick­ing ring, said she was not sat­is­fied with the num­ber of con­nect­ing flights the men would have been sub­ject­ed to and was in the process of hav­ing it changed to a lat­er date.The orig­i­nal flight would have tak­en be­tween three to fours days.

Ver­ma said hope­ful­ly by next Sun­day the men would de­part Trinidad and with­in 33 hours they would be re­unit­ed with their fam­i­lies in Jaipur, In­dia.The busi­ness­man be­hind the ring met with In­dia High Com­mis­sion­er to T&T Malay Mishra hours af­ter the Sun­day Guardian high­light­ed the plight of the three men, agree­ing to pay each $15,000 com­pen­sa­tion, as well as cov­er the cost of their air­line tick­ets.Their pass­ports were al­so re­turned to them.The men col­lect­ed their com­pen­sa­tion last Wednes­day at the High Com­mis­sion's of­fice in the pres­ence of Mishra.

On No­vem­ber 17, 2009, the men came to Trinidad af­ter ap­ply­ing for a po­si­tion ad­ver­tised in one of In­dia's news­pa­pers seek­ing skilled males in gran­ite and mar­ble fab­ri­ca­tion.The ad­ver­tise­ment was placed in the news­pa­per by a rel­a­tive of the lo­cal busi­ness­man.The men were ac­cept­ed and of­fered $2,700 month­ly, plus a $3,500 apart­ment which the busi­ness­man promised to pay for un­til their con­tract and work per­mits ex­pired in 2012.How­ev­er, up­on their ar­rival in Trinidad, the busi­ness­man seized their pass­ports as well as ex­ploit­ed, threat­ened and abused them.Ver­ma said the men were duped and ex­ploit­ed for the past 17 months in a hu­man traf­fick­ing ring un­til she in­ter­vened and plead­ed with the au­thor­i­ties for the men to re­turn home.

So far, Ver­ma said Im­mi­gra­tion has in­ter­vened to en­sure that the men re­turn home safe­ly.Ver­ma was giv­en the re­spon­si­bil­i­ty to look af­ter the men un­til they de­part. She said Min­is­ter in the Min­istry of Na­tion­al Se­cu­ri­ty Sub­has Pan­day was ex­pect­ed to meet with Mishra next week.Touched by an out­pour­ing of love from T&T cit­i­zens for the men, Ver­ma said: "These guys have promised to re­turn one day. Peo­ple have of­fered them jobs. I am re­al­ly hap­py that things have worked out and I must thank the Sun­day Guardian for in­ter­ven­ing. Jus­tice has been done."


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored