JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Thursday, April 3, 2025

Husband accused of robbing wife denied bail

by

20120305

A San Fer­nan­do man ac­cused of rob­bing and threat­en­ing his es­tranged com­mon-law wife with death was yes­ter­day de­nied bail. Wen­dell Welling­ton was not called up­on to plead when he ap­peared be­fore Mag­is­trate Ali­cia Chankar in the San Fer­nan­do Fourth Court. It is al­leged that on Feb­ru­ary 25 he robbed Nicole Grif­fith of a cel­lu­lar phone and $400 cash. It is al­leged al­so that he used per­son­al vi­o­lence against Grif­fith ei­ther be­fore, dur­ing or af­ter rob­bing her.

Pros­e­cu­tor Sgt Rus­sell Ra­moutar ob­ject­ed to bail on the grounds that Welling­ton threat­ened to kill Grif­fith.

He said the ac­cused al­so made threats to Grif­fith out­side the court­room yes­ter­day morn­ing. He al­so told the court Welling­ton has a pend­ing mat­ter for a sim­i­lar of­fence at the Cou­va Mag­is­trates' Court. Welling­ton, who de­nied hav­ing a pend­ing mat­ter, said he had a three-year re­la­tion­ship of "mak­ing up and break­ing up" with Grif­fith. He claimed that last year he worked at Petrotrin and gave her $3,000 a week. Chankar up­held the pros­e­cu­tor's ob­jec­tion to bail and ad­vised Welling­ton of his right to ap­ply to a judge in cham­bers. The mat­ter was ad­journed to April 2.


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored