JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Sunday, April 6, 2025

Google blanks Govt request to remove YouTube videos

by

20121115

A re­quest from the T&T Gov­ern­ment for the re­moval of ten videos cur­rent­ly post­ed on YouTube has been de­clined. The videos are par­o­dies which fea­ture Prime Min­is­ter Kam­la Per­sad-Bisses­sar and At­tor­ney Gen­er­al Anand Ram­lo­gan.

Nine of the videos fea­ture Per­sad-Bisses­sar danc­ing with a bot­tle in hand, while Ram­lo­gan is fea­tured in an in­ter­view which took place last year with Head of News at TV6 Do­minic Kaliper­sad. In the heat­ed in­ter­view with Kaliper­sad on the top­ic of the state of emer­gency, the vet­er­an news­man ad­mon­ished the AG at one point thus: "Please don't be rude." So far, the videos have gen­er­at­ed more than 300,000 hits.

Ac­cord­ing to the search en­gine Google's Trans­paren­cy Re­port, from Jan­u­ary 2012-June 2012, T&T was among 19 coun­tries re­quest­ing that videos be re­moved for al­leged defama­tion. Among the oth­er coun­tries which re­quest­ed that con­tent be re­moved were the Unit­ed States, Chi­na, In­dia, Italy, Turkey and the Unit­ed King­dom.

The re­port states: "We re­ceived a re­quest from le­gal rep­re­sen­ta­tives of a mem­ber of the ex­ec­u­tive branch to re­move ten YouTube videos for al­leged defama­tion. We did not re­move con­tent in re­sponse to this re­quest."

Google said it al­so re­ceives reg­u­lar re­quests from copy­right own­ers and re­port­ing or­gan­i­sa­tions which rep­re­sent them, ask­ing for ma­te­r­i­al to be re­moved. "Like oth­er tech­nol­o­gy and com­mu­ni­ca­tions com­pa­nies, Google reg­u­lar­ly re­ceives re­quests from gov­ern­ment agen­cies and courts around the world to re­move con­tent from our ser­vices," Google said.

Not­ing that gov­ern­ments had asked Google to re­move con­tent for many dif­fer­ent rea­sons, the search en­gine, which bought YouTube six years ago, said some con­tent re­movals were re­quest­ed be­cause of al­le­ga­tions of defama­tion, "while oth­ers are due to al­le­ga­tions that the con­tent vi­o­lates lo­cal laws pro­hibit­ing hate speech or pornog­ra­phy. "Laws sur­round­ing these is­sues vary by coun­try, and the re­quests re­flect the le­gal con­text of a giv­en ju­ris­dic­tion."

Google said there were nu­mer­ous rea­sons why the re­quest­ed con­tent might not be re­moved. "Some re­quests may not be spe­cif­ic enough for us to know what the gov­ern­ment want­ed us to re­move (for ex­am­ple, no URL is list­ed in the re­quest), and oth­ers in­volve al­le­ga­tions of defama­tion through in­for­mal let­ters from gov­ern­ment agen­cies, rather than court or­ders."

Google not­ed that oc­ca­sion­al­ly, it had in the past re­ceived fal­si­fied court or­ders for con­tent to be pulled from its site. How­ev­er, once such re­quests have proven to be false (this is de­ter­mined af­ter rig­or­ous checks), the re­quest will not be com­plied with." Com­mu­ni­ca­tions Min­is­ter Ja­mal Mo­hammed could not be reached for com­ment yes­ter­day.


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored