JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Friday, April 4, 2025

After agreement between Govt and JCC, highway work at Mon Desir still on

by

20121205

Work on the con­tentious Debe to Mon De­sir seg­ment of the Gol­con­da to Point Fortin High­way con­tin­ues de­spite an agree­ment be­tween Gov­ern­ment and the Joint Con­sul­ta­tive Coun­cil (JCC) and oth­er groups that all work should stop for 60 days.

On Mon­day, the JCC was giv­en a man­date to re­view all doc­u­ments pro­vid­ed by the Na­tion­al In­fra­struc­tur­al De­vel­op­ment Com­pa­ny (Nid­co) and pro­duce a re­port with­in two months.

A con­di­tion of the agree­ment was work on that sec­tion of the high­way should stop. The meet­ing was aimed at re­solv­ing the im­passe be­tween the Gov­ern­ment and the High­way Re-route Move­ment head­ed by hunger-strik­er Dr Wayne Kublals­ingh.

How­ev­er, at around 2.30 pm yes­ter­day, when the T&T Guardian vis­it­ed Mon­teil Trace, Fyz­abad-on the way to Mon De­sir-sev­er­al ex­ca­va­tors and bull­doz­ers were clear­ing the land, while heavy-du­ty trucks were seen trans­port­ing equip­ment to the site.

As the me­dia crew neared the con­struc­tion site, one work­man or­dered us not to step on­to the work­site, say­ing the me­dia were bent on bring­ing a halt to the high­way con­struc­tion.

Min­utes lat­er, the an­noyed work­man made a phone call as he walked over to the ex­ca­va­tors and all work stopped.

At Berridge Trace, Mon De­sir, the pro­posed site of the Fyz­abad in­ter­change, OAS con­trac­tors were at work be­tween 1 pm and 2 pm yes­ter­day. Of­fi­cials at the site de­clined to speak on the is­sue.

Mon­teil Trace res­i­dent Man­da Shar­ma, whose home is next to the con­struc­tion site, said when she in­quired why work was still tak­ing place, the work­men told her they were giv­en per­mis­sion to keep work­ing.

Shar­ma said she lis­tened to the news on Mon­day night and was sur­prised on Tues­day morn­ing when she saw con­trac­tors work­ing on the site.

She said she did not want to move as it would dis­rupt the lives of her fam­i­ly, es­pe­cial­ly her chil­dren.

At Berridge Trace, where con­trac­tors di­vert­ed traf­fic on­to an oil­sand-paved road, res­i­dents were con­cerned in­stead about how soon they would be paid for their prop­er­ties so they could move.

Amar­nath Ram­soon­dars­ingh said peo­ple had been wait­ing for the high­way for a long time and it would ben­e­fit every­one in the com­mu­ni­ty. He said stop­ping the work would on­ly de­lay a project which should have been com­plet­ed many years ago.

But the con­tin­u­ing works seem­ing­ly con­tra­dict the out­come of Gov­ern­ment's meet­ing with civ­il so­ci­ety groups.

Con­tact­ed for an ex­pla­na­tion yes­ter­day af­ter­noon, cor­po­rate com­mu­ni­ca­tions man­ag­er at the Min­istry of Works and In­fra­struc­ture Tiffany Richards said the doc­u­ment signed by civ­il so­ci­ety group lead­ers and gov­ern­ment of­fi­cials stat­ed: "Works will con­tin­ue on sites of the high­way re­leased to the con­trac­tor."

Works and In­fra­struc­ture Min­is­ter Eman­nuel George and Nid­co pres­i­dent Dr Car­son Charles could not be reached for com­ment yes­ter­day.


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored