JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Thursday, April 3, 2025

Banks Breached

... re­gion­al hack­ing alert

by

20130307

Com­mer­cial banks across T&T have been put on alert af­ter a se­cu­ri­ty breach which has put large num­bers of Visa and Mas­ter­Card deb­it and cred­it cards across the Caribbean at risk.The breach came to light af­ter a na­tion­wide cred­it-card re­call across banks in the Ba­hamas in late Feb­ru­ary.

Fi­nan­cial in­sti­tu­tions there were on high alert as they scram­bled to pro­tect the funds of thou­sands of con­sumers whose cred­it cards were com­pro­mised by a ma­jor da­ta breach. As a re­sult, banks in the Ba­hamas had to reis­sue thou­sands of cards.

The Caribbean As­so­ci­a­tion of Banks (CAB) is­sued a se­cu­ri­ty alert yes­ter­day, say­ing banks and oth­er fi­nan­cial in­sti­tu­tions had been af­fect­ed by the breach at a da­ta cen­tre in Bar­ba­dos, where sen­si­tive in­for­ma­tion on the ac­counts of thou­sands of card­hold­ers was stolen.

CAB ad­vised card­hold­ers that "out of an abun­dance of cau­tion" banks and cred­it unions might be con­tact­ing cus­tomers to have their cards re­placed. It stressed that those mea­sures were pre­cau­tion­ary as no fraud had yet been de­tect­ed.

"Our mem­ber banks and oth­er fi­nan­cial in­sti­tu­tions through­out the re­gion take client con­fi­den­tial­i­ty and se­cu­ri­ty very se­ri­ous­ly and pro­vide as­sur­ance that cus­tomer in­ter­est re­mains sound­ly pro­tect­ed," CAB said in a state­ment.

The as­so­ci­a­tion added those mea­sures were pre­cau­tion­ary and no fraud had been at­trib­uted to this case. The CAB has mem­bers in 17 Caribbean coun­tries, in­clud­ing T&T.Re­gion­al me­dia re­ports said the un­named in­ter­na­tion­al card-pro­cess­ing fa­cil­i­ty in Bar­ba­dos had been hacked last month.

The An­tigua Ob­serv­er re­port­ed last week that four lo­cal fi­nan­cial in­sti­tu­tions had been af­fect­ed by the se­cu­ri­ty breach, though no cas­es of fraud had been re­port­ed. They were East­ern Caribbean Amal­ga­mat­ed Bank, An­tigua & Bar­bu­da In­vest­ment Bank, HS­BC and Caribbean Union Bank.

An Ob­serv­er sto­ry quot­ed Jes­sel Gads­by, gen­er­al man­ag­er of the St Kitts-based Caribbean Cred­it Card Cor­po­ra­tion, as say­ing: "I be­lieve it is near­ly all of the banks in the Caribbean, cer­tain­ly all of the banks in the East­ern Caribbean have been im­pact­ed by it."

In the Ba­hamas, An­wer Sun­der­ji, CEO of Fi­deli­ty Bank, was re­port­ed as say­ing: "All Ba­hami­an banks had their card da­ta com­pro­mised. This theft took place else­where and we were no­ti­fied by Visa on Fri­day."

Paul McWeeney, the man­ag­ing di­rec­tor at Bank of the Ba­hamas, said cred­it-card com­pa­nies and the Cen­tral Bank had called fi­nan­cial in­sti­tu­tions to warn them of the breach.His bank was re­plac­ing at least 2,000 cred­it cards and Com­mon­wealth Bank Ltd said it might have to reis­sue up to 5,000.

A Do­mini­can Web site pub­lished a state­ment is­sued by the Na­tion­al Bank of Do­mini­ca (NBD) to as­sure cus­tomers it was tak­ing steps to pre­vent their ac­counts from be­ing af­fect­ed by the se­cu­ri­ty breach.The state­ment said: "The breach af­fect­ed mul­ti­ple banks around the re­gion, in­clud­ing NBD. The in­for­ma­tion pro­vid­ed from our card proces­sor in­di­cat­ed a num­ber of our card­hold­ers were po­ten­tial­ly com­pro­mised as a re­sult of the breach. "In an ef­fort to pro­tect our cus­tomers from po­ten­tial fraud­u­lent at­tempts, we took im­me­di­ate ac­tion to block the af­fect­ed cards and reis­sue new cards."

The NBD said no cus­tomers had re­port­ed fraud­u­lent ac­tiv­i­ty in their ac­counts and the bank was not as­so­ci­at­ed with the com­pro­mised card-pro­cess­ing fa­cil­i­ty but was tak­ing pre­cau­tions and con­tact­ing all cus­tomers who were af­fect­ed.Fi­nance Min­is­ter Lar­ry Howai, Cen­tral Bank Gov­er­nor Jwala Ram­baran and the Bankers As­so­ci­a­tion could not be reached for com­ment yes­ter­day.


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored