JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Sunday, April 6, 2025

Moonilal on Penal hospital contract: Canadian Corp to clear the air soon

by

20130809

The Cana­di­an Com­mer­cial Cor­po­ra­tion is to is­sue a state­ment on the con­tro­ver­sial con­tract giv­en to trou­bled Cana­di­an firm SNC Lavalin to de­sign and build the $ 1 bil­lion Pe­nal chil­dren's hos­pi­tal and re­ha­bil­i­ta­tion cen­tre, Hous­ing Min­is­ter Dr Roodal Mooni­lal said Thurs­day.He was re­spond­ing to an ar­ti­cle writ­ten by Pa­tri­cia Adams, ex­ec­u­tive di­rec­tor of Probe In­ter­na­tion­al, which was pub­lished in the Huff­in­g­ton Post last week.

The ar­ti­cle quot­ed the CCC as say­ing that T&T was not get­ting any pref­er­en­tial con­di­tions in the con­struc­tion of the project.Mooni­lal ini­tial­ly de­fend­ed the Peo­ple's Part­ner­ship's de­ci­sion to build the hos­pi­tal us­ing a gov­ern­ment-to-gov­ern­ment loan grant­ed by the Cana­di­an au­thor­i­ties.Con­tact­ed Thurs­day, Mooni­lal said he was in touch with the CCC and a state­ment was ex­pect­ed to be is­sued by the or­gan­i­sa­tion to clar­i­fy the mat­ter. He did not dis­close any de­tails of the pref­er­en­tial con­di­tions T&T would en­joy if the project went ahead.

How­ev­er when con­tact­ed at 5 pm Thurs­day, Mooni­lal said he was still await­ing for the CCC's state­ment.Since the Guardian re­port­ed ex­clu­sive­ly that SNC Lavalin got the con­tract to de­sign the hos­pi­tal, sev­er­al groups in­clud­ing the Joint Con­sul­ta­tive Coun­cil for the con­struc­tion in­dus­try and the Lo­cal Con­tent Cham­ber have called for full dis­clo­sure on the con­tract.Calls were al­so made about the al­leged in­volve­ment of T&T's High Com­mis­sion­er to Cana­da, Philip Buxo, in the deal.

Be­fore his diplo­mat­ic ap­point­ment, Buxo held the po­si­tion of Di­rec­tor of the Cari­com (Caribbean Com­mu­ni­ty and Com­mon Mar­ket) Re­gion En­er­gy and In­fra­struc­ture Di­vi­sion of SNC-Lavalin.How­ev­er, he has de­nied any in­volve­ment in the se­lec­tion process, say­ing: "The T&T Gov­ern­ment is not in­volved in the de­ci­sion-mak­ing process to hire any Cana­di­an com­pa­ny to con­struct the hos­pi­tal. The full re­spon­si­bil­i­ty for the se­lec­tion of any com­pa­ny is the ex­clu­sive re­spon­si­bil­i­ty of the Cana­di­an gov­ern­ment's des­ig­nat­ed co-or­di­na­tor, the CCC."

SNC-Lavalin and many of its top ex­ec­u­tives are ac­cused of cor­rup­tion in Cana­da, the Mid­dle East, Africa, and Asia. In April, the World Bank de­barred the com­pa­ny from bank-fund­ed projects for ten years.In a state­ment last month, pres­i­dent and CEO of the CCC, Marc Whit­ting­ham, said the T&T Gov­ern­ment had signed a con­tract in Feb­ru­ary with SNC-Lavalin to de­sign the Pe­nal hos­pi­tal, on the rec­om­men­da­tion of the CCC.

Whit­ting­ham said a frame­work agree­ment was signed be­tween the gov­ern­ments of Cana­da and T&T on May 1, 2012, to pro­mote co-op­er­a­tion in the health sec­tor.He ex­plained that in ear­ly 2012, CCC and Ude­cott de­cid­ed to split the work in­to two phas­es: The de­sign of the hos­pi­tal and the con­struc­tion and in­stal­la­tion of med­ical equip­ment.

He said the de­sign phase was al­most com­plet­ed and Ude­cott and CCC were now work­ing on a con­tract for phase two. How­ev­er, a due dili­gence re­view is now in progress to de­cide whether SNC-Lavalin will get the sec­ond part of the con­tract.


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored