JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Thursday, April 3, 2025

Mother Lode

by

20140117

Unit­ed States au­thor­i­ties have seized an es­ti­mat­ed US$100 mil­lion (ap­prox TT$644 mil­lion) worth of co­caine con­cealed in cans of juice shipped from Trinidad to Nor­folk, Vir­ginia.Al­though the ship­ment was seized on De­cem­ber 20, the haul was on­ly re­port­ed in US me­dia on Thurs­day af­ter of­fi­cials held a me­dia brief­ing and is­sued a press re­lease. The find was de­scribed as the largest seizure in the port of Nor­folk's his­to­ry.

The drugs were con­cealed in 700 cans that ap­pear to be man­u­fac­tured by the Cit­rus Grow­ers As­so­ci­a­tion, a sub­sidiary of SM Jaleel, and were be­ing shipped in a con­tain­er des­tined for New York. The cans con­tained a to­tal of 732 pounds of co­caine. The cans con­tain­ing the drugs al­so con­tained some liq­uid. Con­flict­ing re­ports sur­faced on whether the drugs were found fol­low­ing a tip-off or through a ran­dom search.

In a sto­ry car­ried in a Vir­ginia pa­per, the Dai­ly Press, US Cus­toms and Bor­der Pro­tec­tion (CBP) area port di­rec­tor Mark Lar­ia said of­fi­cers used ad­vanced tech­nol­o­gy to do an ini­tial in­spec­tion of the 20-foot con­tain­er, but af­ter anom­alies were dis­cov­ered, they did a more ex­ten­sive search, dur­ing which time the nar­cotics were found.

The re­port said they dis­cov­ered the drugs by a "cold hit," mean­ing of­fi­cials re­ceived no spe­cif­ic in­tel­li­gence about its pres­ence. Rather, a CBP of­fi­cer tar­get­ed the ship­ment for in­spec­tion us­ing port knowl­edge, au­to­mat­ic tar­get­ing tools and in­for­ma­tion about re­cent smug­gling trends, Lar­ia said. How­ev­er, US-based News Chan­nel 3 re­port­ed that the con­tain­er was flagged as soon as it left T&T, but the CBP could not check it un­til it got to the US.

This is the sec­ond time in as many months that SM Jaleel's prod­ucts have been im­pli­cat­ed in a drug case. Roy­al Navy vet­er­an Joromie Lewis, 33, of Gosport, Hamp­shire, died hours af­ter drink­ing a co­caine-taint­ed 20-oz Pear D drink on De­cem­ber 5. This prompt­ed the com­pa­ny to re­move the prod­uct from lo­cal shelves. It does not ex­port Pear D to the UK.

Grif­fith: We're co-op­er­at­ing

Min­is­ter of Na­tion­al Se­cu­ri­ty Gary Grif­fith said yes­ter­day that T&T is col­lab­o­rat­ing with the US Drug En­force­ment Agency to crack drug car­tels.Al­though he re­fused to com­ment on the Nor­folk drug bust be­cause in­ves­ti­ga­tions were on­go­ing, Grif­fith ad­mit­ted that such busts were the re­sult of in­ter­na­tion­al col­lab­o­ra­tion.Say­ing in­tel­li­gence was be­ing shared in re­al time, Grif­fith re­vealed that 41 weapons had been seized in T&T with­in 16 days, along with 50 ki­los of co­caine and 20 ki­los of mar­i­jua­na.

"Agree­ments have been signed with Venezuela and Colom­bia to stamp out the drug trade," Grif­fith said.He added that T&T's in­tel­li­gence al­so passed in­for­ma­tion to the Unit­ed King­dom and the French cus­toms, which led to the seizure of 800 ki­los of co­caine re­cent­ly.

Po­lice Com­mis­sion­er Stephen Williams did not an­swer his phone so the T&T Guardian could ver­i­fy whether the po­lice were as­sist­ing the US with the in­ves­ti­ga­tion. Head of the Or­gan­ised Crime, Nar­cotics and Firearms Unit, act­ing Se­nior Supt Gar­rick al­so could not be reached for com­ment yes­ter­day.Press spe­cial­ist in the pub­lic af­fairs sec­tion of the US Em­bassy, Charleen Thomas, could not give de­tails on whether the em­bassy was aware of the Nor­folk seizure or if any ar­rests had been made.

The em­bassy's Alexan­der Mc Laren said the Nor­folk drug bust was a US-based case so ques­tions should be raised with Vir­ginia Dabbs, the CBP pub­lic af­fairs spe­cial­ist for the State of Vir­ginia. She could not be reached up to press time.Com­mu­ni­ca­tions spe­cial­ist at the Cus­toms and Ex­cise De­part­ment Ali­cia Charles al­so said she would in­ves­ti­gate the ori­gins of the ship­ment yes­ter­day, but she too was un­avail­able up to press time.

Ship­ment not ours–SM Jaleel

SM Jaleel yes­ter­day de­nied that the ship­ment was theirs. Asked if they shipped juice to the US, a com­pa­ny spokesman said Trinidad Juice is of­fi­cial­ly ex­port­ed to the US all year round."All ex­port con­tain­ers shipped in 2013 were re­ceived by the au­tho­rised food and bev­er­age com­pa­ny, the last ship­ment be­ing re­ceived in No­vem­ber. This De­cem­ber ship­ment was not made by SM Jaleel."

Asked whether the com­pa­ny planned to with­draw the juices lo­cal­ly, the spokesman said: "There is no rea­son to with­draw the prod­uct. The US au­thor­i­ties have not is­sued a prod­uct re­call, which they would if there was the slight­est sus­pi­cion of pub­lic health con­cerns."From the ABC re­port, co­caine was not in the juice. The tins which con­tained juice did not con­tain the tight­ly packed co­caine.

"SM Jaleel will con­tin­ue to com­ply with the var­i­ous leg­is­la­tions both lo­cal­ly and in­ter­na­tion­al­ly re­lat­ing to the pro­duc­tion and ex­por­ta­tion of prod­ucts."In a state­ment post­ed on its Web site, the com­pa­ny said: "It is com­mon knowl­edge that the crim­i­nals in­volved in the drug trade have been us­ing mech­a­nisms to trans­port co­caine such as fruit, car parts, lum­ber, hard­ware etc.

"It now ap­pears that some­one may be try­ing to utilise our com­pa­ny's prod­uct in this re­gard. We too have on­ly just been re­cent­ly in­formed of the sit­u­a­tion that oc­curred al­most a month ago, re­gard­ing the use of our TJC or­ange–and grape­fruit-flavoured juice tins in the smug­gling of co­caine in­to the US and have, to date, not been con­tact­ed by the rel­e­vant US au­thor­i­ties in con­nec­tion with this mat­ter. At present we have no knowl­edge or ev­i­dence of the de­tails oth­er than the press re­lease from the US.

"We have al­ready com­menced our own in­ter­nal in­ves­ti­ga­tion; how­ev­er, we are not yet in a po­si­tion to pro­vide any fur­ther de­tails at this time."The com­pa­ny said nei­ther the Nar­cotics Bu­reau nor T&T Cus­toms were con­tact­ed by the US au­thor­i­ties, so this like­ly meant that it is a for­eign is­sue that will be solved abroad.

No lo­cal re­call

The Min­istry of Health has not or­dered the with­draw­al of Trinidad Juices from lo­cal shelves.Chief Med­ical Of­fi­cer Dr Collin Fur­longe said the fruit juices can­not be re­called un­til in­ves­ti­ga­tions are com­plete."I will in fact try and find out more about the mat­ter be­fore I make any rec­om­men­da­tions about this," Fur­longe said.Di­rec­tor of the Chem­istry Food and Drug Di­vi­sion Adri­an Mc Carthy al­so said shelf re­calls can­not be done with­out prop­er in­ves­ti­ga­tion.

"Usu­al­ly we will be alert­ed through in­ter­na­tion­al health reg­u­la­tions about this mat­ter. We are part of that net­work and we re­ceive alerts from them con­cern­ing mat­ters like this. We have not re­ceived any such di­rec­tive," Mc Carthy said.

Asked whether he be­lieved a prod­uct re­call was war­rant­ed, Mc Carthy ad­mit­ted, "That is not some­thing we can eas­i­ly do. To make that rec­om­men­da­tion is harsh un­til we in­ves­ti­gate. We should have been alert­ed to this al­ready. We knew of the in­ci­dent in the UK but not this one. I can­not make a de­fin­i­tive state­ment un­til in­ves­ti­ga­tions are com­plete."


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored