JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Thursday, April 3, 2025

Soldiers on patrol threaten media

by

20140703

Na­tion­al Se­cu­ri­ty Min­is­ter Gary Grif­fith said yes­ter­day he was con­cerned about re­ports made that mem­bers of the me­dia had been threat­ened by sol­diers who pa­trolled the St Paul Street, Port-of-Spain, area fol­low­ing the mur­der of Lance Cor­po­ral Kay­o­de Thomas.In a tele­phone in­ter­view yes­ter­day Grif­fith said if what hap­pened was in­deed true he apol­o­gised, adding that it would not hap­pen again. Grif­fith said he would speak with the Chief of De­fence Staff Ma­jor Gen Ken­rick Ma­haraj to get fur­ther in­for­ma­tion on the de­ploy­ment of the sol­diers in the area. Grif­fith said the me­dia was not the en­e­my and the sol­diers ought to know that.

He said around the world the rule re­gard­ing the mur­der of a mem­ber of the pro­tec­tive ser­vices was that if you touched one you have touched all and the heavy pres­ence of sol­diers in the com­mu­ni­ty was not ir­reg­u­lar or iso­lat­ed to Trinidad.He added that the law must do what was need­ed to sup­press crim­i­nal ac­tiv­i­ty and the pa­trols by sol­diers with­out the as­sis­tance of po­lice was not il­le­gal.Yes­ter­day masked mem­bers of the Reg­i­ment, claim­ing to be mem­bers of a spe­cial op­er­a­tions unit, were again de­ployed in east Port-of-Spain and again have been ac­cused of beat­ing res­i­dents.One masked of­fi­cer is al­leged to have point­ed a loaded high-pow­ered ri­fle at CNC3 re­porter Samuel Mc Knight and told him if he was to record them he would be dealt with.

The sol­ders were at St Paul Street when the me­dia was called fol­low­ing re­ports of abuse.

When McK­night and his cam­era­man ar­rived they were told not to record the of­fi­cers. Res­i­dents claim short­ly be­fore the me­dia ar­rived the of­fi­cers had as­sault­ed them.The reg­i­ment of­fi­cers were al­so seen pa­trolling McK­ai Lands, Bel­mont, yes­ter­day fol­low­ing protest ac­tion by res­i­dents who de­mand­ed bet­ter roads, wa­ter, street­lights and jobs.The sol­diers told the T&T Guardian if the Prime Min­is­ter was not go­ing to do any­thing about the gangs in the coun­try they would.They were seen ques­tion­ing young men in the area about the where­abouts of a man iden­ti­fied as "Di­a­mond". The sol­diers were heard telling one of the young men that he would re­turn lat­er in the evening for him.

Speak­ing with the T&T Guardian yes­ter­day res­i­dents said they were thank­ful that the of­fi­cers were there as they pro­vid­ed some lev­el of safe­ty but were up­set that the of­fi­cers were as­sault­ing them.The res­i­dents said Thomas was killed by his own neigh­bours who they said used to ben­e­fit from him bring­ing guns, am­mu­ni­tion and cam­ou­flage uni­forms for them.That claim, how­ev­er, was not sup­port­ed by po­lice at­tached to the near­by Besson Street Po­lice Sta­tion who said they nev­er had cause to sus­pect the 32-year-old fa­ther of eight of any wrong­do­ing.


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored