JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Thursday, April 3, 2025

Two schools shut down

by

20140918

Two schools in Port-of-Spain have been shut down be­cause of sev­er­al con­firmed cas­es of the chikun­gun­ya virus.Sources said that the New­town Boys' and Girls' RC Schools were closed yes­ter­day so that Port-of-Spain City Cor­po­ra­tion of­fi­cials could deal with the prob­lem.A school source said close to a dozen stu­dents from New­town Girls' and Boys' had com­plained of flu-like symp­toms over the past two weeks and at least four were con­firmed cas­es of ChikV.

The af­fect­ed stu­dents were said to be from the Bel­mont and Mar­aval ar­eas. The schools will re­open on Mon­day.The source said pub­lic health in­spec­tors vis­it­ed both schools on Wednes­day and arranged to have them fu­mi­gat­ed yes­ter­day and to­day."We were ad­vised not to re­port for du­ty be­cause the schools will need at least two days to air out so we will be go­ing back to class­es on Mon­day," the source said.

Asked whether oth­er schools were af­fect­ed, the of­fi­cial said that was un­cer­tain."When the health in­spec­tors came they were alarmed at the num­ber of mos­qui­toes, so they de­cid­ed to spray to­day (yes­ter­day). The cy­cle of spray­ing is done once a year but this is not suf­fi­cient," the source said.The of­fi­cial ex­plained that some stu­dents at­tend­ing the schools came from as far away as Ari­ma and Ch­agua­nas.

"We are con­cerned that if a bet­ter cy­cle of spray­ing is not de­vel­oped then the virus could be spread to oth­er parts of the coun­try," the of­fi­cial said.Both schools are on Mar­aval Road, New­town. The boys' school has 700 pupils while 590 stu­dents at­tend the girls' school.

Last week, the ex­ec­u­tive di­rec­tor of the Caribbean Pub­lic Health Agency (CARPHA) said the Caribbean must brace for the full im­pact of the virus. He said with a pop­u­la­tion of 17 mil­lion peo­ple, the re­gion was still in the ear­ly stages and the "full bloom of chikun­gun­ya virus is yet to come."

Au­thor­i­ties: No­body told us

Con­tact­ed yes­ter­day, Lyns­ley Doo­d­hai, sec­ond vice-pres­i­dent of the T&T Uni­fied Teach­ers As­so­ci­a­tion (TTUTA), said he was not aware of the clo­sure of the schools, but said:

"I will ad­vise the teach­ers that when they meet con­di­tions detri­men­tal to their health and safe­ty, they should leave the af­fect­ed ar­eas un­til the nec­es­sary work is done so as to en­sure their health is not af­fect­ed."TTUTA pres­i­dent De­vanand Sinanan al­so said he was al­so un­aware of the chikun­gun­ya cas­es.

"We have no of­fi­cial re­ports. All we are hear­ing is ru­mours. No­body called us to in­form us of­fi­cial­ly. Last week some teach­ers ex­pressed con­cern about ChikV but we are guid­ed by the pro­to­cols of the Pub­lic Health De­part­ment," he added.

Say­ing TTUTA was not in a po­si­tion to tell schools how to treat with such prob­lems, Sinanan said:

"This must be a de­ci­sion tak­en by the Coun­ty Med­ical Of­fi­cer of Health (CMOH) so we are ad­vis­ing that if there is a prob­lem the au­thor­i­ties should li­aise with the pub­lic health in­spec­tors." He al­so said it would be ir­re­spon­si­ble of him to make pro­nounce­ments on the is­sue with­out sci­en­tif­ic ev­i­dence.Health Min­is­ter Dr Fuad Khan said yes­ter­day he was un­aware that the schools were af­fect­ed but would in­ves­ti­gate.

Con­tact­ed af­ter yes­ter­day's Par­lia­ment sit­ting, Ed­u­ca­tion Min­is­ter Dr Tim Gopeesingh al­so said he was un­aware of the clo­sures but promised to make some en­quiries to­day.How­ev­er, he said: "We have to look at the home en­vi­ron­ment al­so be­cause it doesn't nec­es­sar­i­ly mean that stu­dents got the virus at school."

Gopeesingh not­ed that Khan had shown him en­quiries from the T&T Guardian on the mat­ter while they were in Par­lia­ment, adding that the Health Min­istry will take the nec­es­sary pre­cau­tion­ary ac­tions, in­clud­ing fu­mi­gat­ing the schools.


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored