JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Friday, April 4, 2025

Tears, anger as part of historic Greyfriars church demolished

by

20141130

Hours af­ter he or­dered the de­mo­li­tion of the his­toric Greyfri­ars Church of Scot­land, own­er Al­fred Galy agreed to stay his hand.

But not be­fore a de­mo­li­tion crew smashed its way through the north­ern wall of the Fred­er­ick Street, Port-of-Spain land­mark.

De­spite yes­ter­day's bad weath­er, work­ers of Joel Ramdeen and Co, work­ing with an ex­ca­va­tor, start­ed de­mo­li­tion around5 am. By8 am, the church hall was re­duced to rub­ble, and the north­ern wall of the church had been tak­en down.

Joshua Lu, who had been cir­cu­lat­ing a pe­ti­tion call­ing for the preser­va­tion of the site as a his­toric build­ing, alert­ed mem­bers of the NGO Cit­i­zens for Con­ser­va­tion, who rushed to the scene to try to stop the de­mo­li­tion.Con­ser­va­tion ac­tivists and oth­er con­cerned cit­i­zens start­ed to flock to the church­yard, as news of the de­mo­li­tion spread via so­cial me­dia.

Lu said he of­ten drove in­to the city on a week­end to check on the site and en­sure no de­mo­li­tion work was be­ing done.

In an at­tempt to stop the ex­ca­va­tor op­er­a­tor from knock­ing down the re­main­ing church walls, Lu stood in­side the build­ing, but the own­er of the ex­ca­va­tor or­dered the op­er­a­tor to con­tin­ue the de­mo­li­tion.

Lu was lat­er joined by Dr Nu­rah-Ros­alie Cord­ner, an ad­vis­er to the Min­is­ter of Na­tion­al Di­ver­si­ty and So­cial In­te­gra­tion, who jumped on­to the ex­ca­va­tor and ap­pealed to the op­er­a­tor to stop de­stroy­ing the coun­try's her­itage. As four work­men tried to forcibly re­move her, Cord­ner's hi­jab was pulled off by and her purse was ripped open, leav­ing her per­son­al be­long­ings scat­tered among the de­bris.

Tears, out­rage

Blink­ing away tears, ex­ec­u­tive sec­re­tary of Cit­i­zens for Con­ser­va­tion, Michele Ce­les­tine said yes­ter­day's ac­tion caught every­one un­awares.

"Mr Galy con­tin­ues to dis­re­spect the process, al­though we have been in dis­cus­sions with him all week and for the past two weeks try­ing to come up with a city plan where he can con­struct a build­ing as he says he wants to do, and we would get to keep our his­toric church."

Ce­les­tine said it was dis­ap­point­ing to wit­ness the de­struc­tion of a build­ing which was cen­turies old. (The church was built in the 1830s.)

"The no­tice of in­ten­tion to list this prop­er­ty as a his­toric site has been served on Mr Galy over three weeks now,"she point­ed out.

Galy had ex­pressed an in­ter­est in pur­chas­ing ad­ja­cent prop­er­ties to con­struct of­fices, she said.

Chair­man of the Coun­cil of the Na­tion­al Trust Prof Win­ston Suite said Galy had act­ed in a "dis­hon­est and dis­re­spect­ful" man­ner.

"Like a thief in the night, he has moved in to de­stroy the build­ing and hop­ing by the time peo­ple wake up­Mon­day­morn­ing, every­thing would be done and it would be a fait ac­com­pli."

Suite was joined by his wife, at­tor­ney Lynette See­baran-Suite, and deputy prin­ci­pal of the Uni­ver­si­ty of the West In­dies, Prof Rho­da Red­dock, who were out­raged over the de­mo­li­tion.

MIn­is­ter: no re­spect

Stand­ing in the rain as he sur­veyed the scene in dis­be­lief, Min­is­ter of Na­tion­al Di­ver­si­ty and So­cial In­te­gra­tion Rodger Samuel said: "They just don't have re­spect for this coun­try–ab­solute­ly no re­spect–be­cause we have been ne­go­ti­at­ing, the Town and Coun­try Di­vi­sion up toThurs­day­was ne­go­ti­at­ing with this gen­tle­man in good faith try­ing to help him work around it. And this is what hap­pens, like a thief in the night."

Samuel said no de­mo­li­tion ap­provals were grant­ed by the Port-of-Spain City Cor­po­ra­tion.

He said he would re­main on the site un­til the ex­ca­va­tor was re­moved.

Way for­ward

Up to yes­ter­day evening, Galy was ex­pect­ed to sit with of­fi­cials to dis­cuss the way for­ward. Those meet­ings are ex­pect­ed to in­clude Samuel, mem­bers of the Na­tion­al Trust, and rep­re­sen­ta­tives from the Town and Coun­try Plan­ning Di­vi­sion.?


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored