JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Sunday, April 6, 2025

Govt to spend $millions to restore five buildings

by

20160217

The Great Hall of Pres­i­dent's House re­sem­bles a war zone, as if a bomb went off, leav­ing a gap­ing hole in the mid­dle of a hall where pub­lic of­fi­cials were once sworn in to serve the coun­try.

Plan­ning Min­is­ter Camille Robin­son-Reg­is made the com­par­i­son to a bomb site as she peered over a wood­en bar­ri­er, con­struct­ed to keep peo­ple from top­pling about six feet in­to an open cav­i­ty.

The build­ing is emp­ty but for for­got­ten fur­ni­ture, Christ­mas dec­o­ra­tions and a bro­ken pi­ano.In one aban­doned room, a glass sign for the Caribbean Court of Jus­tice was on the floor, sur­round­ed by fall­en bits of con­crete, paint that had flaked off walls and box­es of left over bits.

With the ex­cep­tion of nois­es made by bats, the set­ting pro­vides a still­ness in di­rect con­trast to the im­por­tance of past events held in the space years ear­li­er.Prime Min­is­ter Kei­th Row­ley, who toured the house last week, said it was an ab­solute dis­grace.

The Pres­i­dent now con­ducts of­fi­cial swear­ing-ins and oth­er of­fi­cial cer­e­monies in a small of­fice in the first lev­el of the ad­min­is­tra­tive build­ing.Robin­son-Reg­is, chair­man of the Ur­ban De­vel­op­ment Cor­po­ra­tion of T&T (Ude­cott) Noel Gar­cia and sev­er­al Ude­cott project man­agers and oth­er em­ploy­ees, led me­dia through a tour yes­ter­day of five his­tor­i­cal build­ings to be re­stored by Gov­ern­ment in the com­ing five years.

While Robin­son-Reg­is de­nounced the pri­or gov­ern­ment for not keep­ing promis­es re­gard­ing the restora­tion of the build­ings, she promised that the Peo­ple's Na­tion­al Move­ment (PNM) Gov­ern­ment viewed the restora­tion of the build­ings as a pri­or­i­ty to take place with­in the next five years.

The cost to re­pair the five build­ings – Pres­i­dent's House, the Red House, White­hall, Stollmey­er's Cas­tle and Mille Fleurs – will cost Gov­ern­ment hun­dreds of mil­lions of dol­lars, with a sig­nif­i­cant chunk go­ing to­ward the Red House restora­tion.

Speak­ing to me­dia yes­ter­day, Robin­son-Reg­is said de­spite the eco­nom­ic sit­u­a­tion the coun­try was in, hav­ing been de­clared to be in a re­ces­sion late last year, the Gov­ern­ment was pre­pared to spend mon­ey to fix the his­tor­i­cal prop­er­ties.

"If we don't do it now, it will get even worse, you saw Mille Fleurs. Mille Fleurs may have to even be de­mol­ished, giv­en the state that it is in and an­oth­er five years is go­ing to make it worse and it is go­ing to cost even more," Robin­son-Reg­is said.

Mille Fleurs, one of the mag­nif­i­cent sev­en build­ings around the Queen's Park Sa­van­nah, is near­ing cri­sis, cov­ered by a tem­po­rary gal­vanise roof to pro­tect it from the el­e­ments, the build­ing is crum­bling, with the floor rot­ted through in some parts.

Project man­agers for the build­ing said it may need to be com­plete­ly re­con­struct­ed.

Robin­son-Reg­is added: "It is im­por­tant that our her­itage be re­stored and even dur­ing a time of strin­gency there are some things that must be done and we feel cer­tain that this is very im­por­tant for our his­to­ry and for our peo­ple go­ing for­ward."She said she was sad­dened that noth­ing had been done to re­pair Pres­i­dent's House over the past five years.

Robin­son-Reg­is is a mem­ber of a restora­tion com­mit­tee es­tab­lished to over­see the restora­tion of the five build­ings.The com­mit­tee com­pris­es Row­ley, Fi­nance Min­is­ter Colm Im­bert and At­tor­ney Gen­er­al Faris Al-Rawi.Robin­son-Reg­is said the com­mit­tee would de­ter­mine the even­tu­al use of the prop­er­ties and that would de­ter­mine how they were ren­o­vat­ed or re­stored.

The Red House re­mains the lo­ca­tion of Par­lia­ment. Plans to make Stollmey­er's Cas­tle a pro­to­col guest house are be­ing re­viewed and White­hall, once the of­fice of the Prime Min­is­ter, may still be used as such.No de­ci­sion has been made on Mille Fleurs, which has re­main un­touched and un­oc­cu­pied for over 20 years.

Work on Stollmey­er's Cas­tle is 85 per cent com­plete, with most of the re­main­ing work be­ing ex­ter­nal.The Red House has been ex­ca­vat­ed but is still in ini­tial stages while at the Pres­i­dent's House no re­cent restora­tion has take place.

Gar­cia told re­porters the ma­jor prob­lem with White­hall was the roof, as the build­ing had re­ceived a $20 mil­lion restora­tion which was com­plet­ed in 1996.He said one of the sug­ges­tions Ude­cott would make to the com­mit­tee would be to ap­point a cu­ra­tor for each re­stored build­ing so that the State did not find it­self with the re­cur­ring prob­lem of hav­ing to re­store build­ings fre­quent­ly af­ter spend­ing tax­pay­ers mon­ey.

"We need to en­sure that the nec­es­sary main­te­nance is done," Gar­cia added.

Ar­chi­tect Bernard Mack­ay is work­ing with the State on the restora­tion of the build­ings.Row­ley is ex­pect­ed to give the pub­lic an up­date on the prop­er­ties in a press con­fer­ence to­mor­row.

Ini­tial project es­ti­mates

Last month, Ude­cott chair­man Noel Gar­cia said $110 mil­lion had al­ready been spent on the Red House and Gov­ern­ment would pump an ad­di­tion­al $400 mil­lion in­to the project.Gar­cia said to bring the project to a close, Ude­cott would in­ject a fur­ther $381 mil­lion on con­struc­tion of a Par­lia­men­tary Com­plex – phase two – tak­ing the to­tal fig­ure for the icon­ic build­ing to a whop­ping $891 mil­lion.

In 2012, then chair­man of the Na­tion­al Trust, Vel Lewis said the bud­get to re­store Mille Fleurs would be $32 mil­lion.That same year, then Works Min­is­ter Jack Warn­er said that the restora­tion of Pres­i­dent's House would be com­plet­ed by the end of 2013 and would cost $4.5 mil­lion.

By 2013, Zan­im Ali, di­rec­tor of the min­istry's Restora­tion Unit, said the fig­ure for the re­pairs would be over $100 mil­lion.Stollmey­er's Cas­tle, al­so called Kil­lar­ney, is 85 per cent com­plete with the on­ly ex­ter­nal work and the up­stairs bal­cony left to be com­plet­ed.


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored