JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Friday, April 4, 2025

7 more die from COVID, death toll rises to 203

by

Anna-Lisa Paul
1426 days ago
20210508
Police Commissioner Gary Griffith observes the COVID-19 protocols at West Bees Supermarket, Western Main Road, Diego Martin, on Friday evening.

Police Commissioner Gary Griffith observes the COVID-19 protocols at West Bees Supermarket, Western Main Road, Diego Martin, on Friday evening.

ANISTO ALVES

As the coun­try’s COVID-19 out­look hit a record high in terms of new cas­es per 24-hour pe­ri­od, at 402 and sev­en ad­di­tion­al deaths, which pushed the tal­ly to 203 over­all, fears con­tin­ue to cir­cu­late that the na­tion’s hos­pi­tals are be­ing over­whelmed.

Inch­ing clos­er to the 4,000-mark as to­tal ac­tive cas­es reached 3,783 up to 4 pm on Sat­ur­day, pub­lic of­fi­cials have con­tin­ued to adopt dras­tic ac­tions to force per­sons to stop con­gre­gat­ing.

In a nev­er-be­fore-seen move to pre­vent mem­bers of the pub­lic from ven­tur­ing on­to the cap­i­tal’s busiest lim­ing strip— the Bri­an Lara Prom­e­nade, the Port-of-Spain City Cor­po­ra­tion on Sat­ur­day roped off the area which runs from east to west with cau­tion tape and cor­doned off the area with bar­ri­cades.

COVID-19 cases disaggregated be age and sex, Trinidad and Tobago, Jul 20, 2020- May 6, 2021

COVID-19 cases disaggregated be age and sex, Trinidad and Tobago, Jul 20, 2020- May 6, 2021

MINISTRY OF HEALTH

In the Min­istry of Health’s dai­ly up­date at 4 pm, of­fi­cials re­port­ed that a to­tal of 331 peo­ple had been hos­pi­talised.

And with 391 peo­ple at state quar­an­tine sites, the min­istry said a to­tal of 3,014 peo­ple re­mained in home self-iso­la­tion, with 46 in step-down fa­cil­i­ties.

This is the sec­ond time sev­en deaths have been record­ed in a 24-hour pe­ri­od since the pan­dem­ic be­gan in March 2020. An­oth­er sev­en fa­tal­i­ties were al­so record­ed on Sep­tem­ber 11, 2020.

Mean­while, Po­lice Com­mis­sion­er Gary Grif­fith al­so shut down the West Bees Su­per­mar­ket in Diego Mar­tin on Sat­ur­day for fail­ing to ad­here to COVID-19 reg­u­la­tions. He said he was left with no choice af­ter they failed to heed the ad­vice to in­stall so­cial dis­tance mark­ers to keep cus­tomers apart.

Grif­fith is­sued a warn­ing to the own­ers on Fri­day af­ter he vis­it­ed and found close to 100 per­sons packed un­der a tent. Up­on ar­riv­ing on Sat­ur­day, Grif­fith "found cus­tomers packed to­geth­er, tighter than chan­na in a dou­bles."

The CoP said the gro­cery will be al­lowed to re­open on­ly when it does what is re­quired. He has promised that greater at­ten­tion will be paid to in­creas­ing foot pa­trols in and around busi­ness­es to en­sure crowd con­trol mea­sures are fol­lowed.

COVID-19


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored