JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Thursday, April 3, 2025

CCJ sends Guyana back to polls

by

Derek Achong
2116 days ago
20190618

Back to the polls.

This in essence was the ef­fect of the Caribbean Court of Jus­tice rul­ing on Tues­day which held that pas­sage of a no-con­fi­dence mo­tion filed by the Op­po­si­tion against the rul­ing par­ty was valid.

Guyana’s Gov­ern­ment and Op­po­si­tion have been asked to come to­geth­er to de­cide on the way for­ward for the coun­try fol­low­ing the CCJ’s de­ci­sion.

While the CCJ’s Pres­i­dent Adri­an Saun­ders and his four col­leagues de­ter­mined the va­lid­i­ty of the vote in their judge­ment, they de­cid­ed to post­pone their de­ter­mi­na­tion of the con­se­quences of their de­ci­sion to next Mon­day, for the par­ties to dis­cuss their views on the is­sue.

In a brief ad­dress to the par­ties, most of whom did not trav­el to the CCJ’s head­quar­ters in Port-of-Spain for the judge­ment, CCJ Judge Ja­cob Wit ex­pressed hope that they would ar­rive at a con­sen­sus with­out fur­ther ju­di­cial in­ter­ven­tion.

“We are hop­ing for a hap­py mar­riage of prin­ci­ple and prac­ti­cal­i­ty,” Wit said.

Al­though the rul­ing es­sen­tial­ly means that Guyana’s coali­tion Gov­ern­ment led by Pres­i­dent David Granger would now have to re­sign with fresh elec­tions be­ing called, the CCJ has so­licit­ed the par­ties’ views on shap­ing its fi­nal or­ders and for set­ting a time frame for the elec­tions.

In a state­ment is­sued short­ly af­ter the judge­ment was de­liv­ered, Granger stat­ed that his Gov­ern­ment would abide by the rul­ing.

“I call on all Guyanese to re­main calm and I as­sure you that the Gov­ern­ment will abide by the Con­sti­tu­tion of the Co­op­er­a­tive Re­pub­lic of Guyana,” Granger said.

How­ev­er, he not­ed that he would have to wait on the Guyana Elec­tions Com­mis­sion (GECOM) to in­form him when they can fa­cil­i­tate a fresh elec­tion be­fore he is­sues the procla­ma­tion.

GECOM has pre­vi­ous­ly claimed that it could on­ly fa­cil­i­tate it by Oc­to­ber and No­vem­ber due to fi­nan­cial is­sues and de­lays in com­pil­ing a new vot­ers list.

“It is es­sen­tial that we hold fair, free and cred­i­ble elec­tions. We can­not pro­ceed on the cur­rent list of vot­ers. It is out­dat­ed and cor­rupt­ed. It may hold as many as 200,000 in­cor­rect en­tries,” Granger said.

In its judge­ment, the CCJ ap­proved the ap­peal, in which the coun­try’s Op­po­si­tion Leader Dr Bhar­rat Jagdeo, oust­ed gov­ern­ment mem­ber Char­ran­das Per­saud and so­cial ac­tivist Christo­pher Ram chal­lenged the de­ci­sion of Guyana’s Court of Ap­peal to strike down the con­tro­ver­sial no-con­fi­dence mo­tion in that coun­try’s Na­tion­al As­sem­bly in De­cem­ber, last year, which was passed by a slim 33 to 32 ma­jor­i­ty.

The judges sug­gest­ed that the Ap­peal Court got it wrong when it stat­ed that the for­mu­la for cal­cu­lat­ing the ma­jor­i­ty for the mo­tion was di­vid­ing the num­ber of as­sem­bly mem­bers by two, round­ing off and adding one. They stat­ed a sim­ple ma­jor­i­ty, as was tak­en last year, was all that was re­quired as the as­sem­bly has an odd num­ber of mem­bers.

The CCJ fur­ther ruled that Ar­ti­cle 156 of Guyana’s Con­sti­tu­tion, which re­quires as­sem­bly mem­bers to in­di­cate if they wish to vote against their par­ty and be re­moved a re­sult, was not ap­plic­a­ble in a no-con­fi­dence vote. The court stat­ed that as­sem­bly mem­bers were al­lowed to vote against their par­ty even if it meant that they are re­moved af­ter­wards.

The court al­so re­ject­ed ar­gu­ments from Guyana’s At­tor­ney Gen­er­al Basil Williams and po­lit­i­cal ac­tivist Comp­ton Reid that Per­saud’s vote should al­so be in­val­i­dat­ed as he had dual cit­i­zen­ship with Cana­da.

The judges stat­ed that Per­saud’s po­si­tion in the as­sem­bly could have on­ly been chal­lenged in an elec­tion pe­ti­tion brought with­in 28 days of when he was elect­ed in 2015.

The CCJ was al­so asked to con­sid­er a sep­a­rate ap­peal from Op­po­si­tion MP Mustapha Zul­fikar, who chal­lenged Granger’s ap­point­ment of re­tired Judge James Pat­ter­son as chair­man of the GECOM.

The court ruled that Granger failed to give suf­fi­cient and com­pelling rea­sons for re­ject­ing 18 can­di­dates put for­ward by Jagdeo, be­fore he went ahead to ap­point Pat­ter­son in Oc­to­ber 2017.

“The giv­ing of rea­sons by the Pres­i­dent will en­sure trans­paren­cy and ac­count­abil­i­ty to the peo­ple, avoid uni­lat­er­al­ism and ar­bi­trari­ness, and en­gen­der pub­lic trust and con­fi­dence in the Elec­tions Com­mis­sion,” the judges said.

The is­sue of ap­point­ing a per­son to fill Pat­ter­son’s va­can­cy and a time-line for do­ing so is ex­pect­ed to be dis­cussed when the case comes up for hear­ing, next week.


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored