JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Friday, April 4, 2025

Children murdered with mothers Part II: More women seek protection orders

by

Guardian Media Investigations Desk
123 days ago
20241202

Yes­ter­day, Guardian Me­dia’s In­ves­ti­ga­tions Desk high­light­ed the in­creas­ing trends of do­mes­tic vi­o­lence cas­es and sex­u­al vi­o­lence cas­es against chil­dren. 

While some per­pe­tra­tors have been ar­rest­ed there is a low pros­e­cu­tion rate even as more women seek pro­tec­tion or­ders from the court.

For the fam­i­lies left be­hind, it takes years to get jus­tice and life can nev­er be nor­mal again. 

Long wait for jus­tice

On Ju­ly 21, 2011, Selvon Reyes’ two young sons and es­tranged wife Vonet­ta Haynes-Reyes were bru­tal­ly mur­dered at their Plumba­go Av­enue, La Hor­quet­ta home.

The killings sparked out­rage on so­cial me­dia, rocked the peace­ful com­mu­ni­ty and brought Reyes to his knees.

Thir­teen years af­ter the mur­ders, Reyes, 49, con­tin­ues to ask what his sons—eight-year-old Ma­lik and Makasi, five, had done to de­serve such hor­ri­ble deaths.

“That is the hurt­ful part about it. Why the kids?”

Still try­ing to come to terms with the loss more than a decade lat­er, Reyes said he has asked God to for­give the killer.

The necks of Ma­lik and Makasi were slit while their 31-year-old moth­er died as a re­sult of a stab wound to the neck.

Haynes-Reyes’ car, which was re­port­ed miss­ing on the day of the mur­ders, was lo­cat­ed in Cara­po a few days lat­er.

Based on the pat­tern of blood on the bed­room floor, Reyes was told by in­ves­ti­ga­tors that Ma­lik fought with the killer be­fore los­ing his life.

“I can’t imag­ine what he went through,” Reyes said, as he tried hard to hold back his tears.

He said Makasi was asleep when his throat was slashed.

Days af­ter the killings, the po­lice ar­rest­ed and charged 23-year-old An­cil Richards, the moth­er’s neigh­bour, with the mur­ders.

Ma­lik and Makasi were Reyes’ pride and joy.

He shared an un­break­able bond with his sons.

“They were my every­thing. I still can’t be­lieve they are gone.”

To this day, Reyes still grieves.

Reyes was at his San Juan work­place when a friend called him to say that his sons and their moth­er were mur­dered.

“I took it for a joke,” Reyes re­called.

Min­utes lat­er, Reyes said a fam­i­ly mem­ber in­formed him of the bad news.

“Then it hit me...I start­ed to bawl for my kids. My whole in­side start­ed to feel hol­low. I kept say­ing that could nev­er hap­pen to me.”

Al­though Reyes had been sep­a­rat­ed from Haynes-Reyes for years, his sons vis­it­ed his Orop­une home reg­u­lar­ly.

The day be­fore the mur­ders, Reyes re­mem­bered his boys beg­ging to spend the night with him.

Reyes be­lieved if he had al­lowed his sons to stay at his home af­ter pick­ing them up at the babysit­ter, they might have been alive to­day.

“It’s like I blame my­self still for this ... for not lis­ten­ing to them,” he said.

The mur­ders, Reyes said, be­gan to af­fect his men­tal health.

At one point, he had to seek help from two psy­chi­a­trists.

He lived on med­ica­tion.

“I start­ed to hear things. I start­ed to sit down on the cor­ner (of the road) and talk to my­self. I kept hear­ing my sons talk­ing to me.”

Reyes still suf­fers from de­pres­sion.

For Reyes, the wheels of jus­tice have been mov­ing too slow­ly.

“I am just pray­ing for jus­tice be­cause those in au­thor­i­ty don’t know the pain yuh does go through when you lose some­one you love. Un­less some­thing like that doh fall in their gar­den, they would not un­der­stand. I am still suf­fer­ing to this day.”

 

Ram­sa­roop’s pain 

What Tara Ram­sa­roop con­sid­ered to be a good day was sim­ply one where she was not beat­en or abused.  

Ram­sa­roop was so grate­ful for these days that she of­ten shared them with her old­er sis­ter Jas­so­dra Ra­jaram, with whom she shared a close bond and con­fid­ed in the prob­lems she faced with a close male rel­a­tive.

Ram­sa­roop, 34, known to rel­a­tives as Gee­ta and her one-year-old daugh­ter Ja­da Moti­lal had been found chopped to death at a rel­a­tive’s Lo­ca­tion Road, Bar­rack­pore, home on Oc­to­ber 9. 

Ram­sa­roop’s tur­bu­lent re­la­tion­ship with Rishi Moti­lal, 29, who was even­tu­al­ly ar­rest­ed and charged with their mur­ders, was al­leged­ly marked with nu­mer­ous com­plaints to rel­a­tives and po­lice re­ports be­fore their mur­ders. 

The vi­o­lent deaths of both moth­er and daugh­ter prompt­ed na­tion­wide out­rage over the grue­some na­ture of the crime and what could have been done to pre­vent it in the first place. 

But with her sis­ter and niece now dead and the man ac­cused of their mur­ders await­ing tri­al, Ra­jaram and the sur­viv­ing fam­i­ly con­tin­ue to live out their lives one day at a time, hop­ing for heal­ing they doubt will ever come. 

Speak­ing with Guardian Me­dia at her home, which is with­in walk­ing dis­tance from the scene of her sis­ter and niece’s mur­der, Ra­jaram said time has not dulled the pain of her loss. 

Re­call­ing her last in­ter­ac­tion with Ram­sa­roop, the night be­fore her mur­der, Ra­jaram said they shared a ca­su­al con­ver­sa­tion with her sis­ter be­ing in un­usu­al­ly high spir­its. 

“We were just jok­ing around and mak­ing plans for a trip to Fun­Splash Wa­ter­park. 

“I was un­sure if I would be go­ing, but she was in such a good mood, she kept in­sist­ing.  

“She said some­thing to me that I nev­er for­got, ‘You have to live life be­cause you don’t know when is your time’.”

Ac­cord­ing to Ra­jaram, her sis­ter’s care­free frame of mind in their last con­ver­sa­tion was in stark con­trast to the fear and un­ease of­ten char­ac­ter­is­tic of her be­hav­iour.  

To­day, al­most two months af­ter the mur­ders of her sis­ter and niece, their last con­ver­sa­tion re­mains as clear as ever, but so does the grief she feels.  

Ra­jaram said while she con­tin­ues to func­tion in her dai­ly life as a small busi­ness own­er, wife and moth­er of two daugh­ters, heal­ing is still a dis­tant thought and fears that she may nev­er re­cov­er ful­ly from the loss.  

As the old­er sis­ter, Ra­jaram said she and her 14-year-old daugh­ter of­ten act­ed as babysit­ters for lit­tle Ja­da while her moth­er worked or ran er­rands.  

Dur­ing this time, their bond grew stronger, as the loss has been par­tic­u­lar­ly dev­as­tat­ing for both Ra­jaram and her daugh­ter. 

“Ja­da used to be here maybe four or five days for the week with us.  

“She was just about to start talk­ing and to this day I still feel like I see her walk­ing around the house.  

“My old­er daugh­ter bun­dles up every­thing but I know that she re­al­ly feels for the loss of Ja­da, one day she just let it all out and said that she can’t do with­out her.” 

The first few weeks fol­low­ing the mur­ders of moth­er and daugh­ter con­tin­ued to take a toll on the fam­i­ly.  

Tears were shed and emo­tions ran high as grief turned to anger to­wards the sus­pect.  

But even be­fore the mur­ders, Ra­jaram said her nephew - Ram­sa­roop’s sev­en-year-old son -be­gan show­ing signs of trau­ma from see­ing his moth­er abused.  

“He would wake up ei­ther 1 am or 2 am and run to the front door to turn the latch on the door, re­peat­ing, ‘Dad­dy com­ing, we have to run!’ and this was a night­mare he had. 

“The abuse around him was trau­ma­tis­ing him and she would have to hug him and wake him up. 

“She tried to not let them see what she’s go­ing through, but it was too much to hide.” 

The boy who now lives with the moth­er of the ac­cused is re­ceiv­ing psy­cho-so­cial sup­port. 

And while this as­sis­tance is need­ed to treat any long-term trau­ma, Ra­jaram said fam­i­lies should ral­ly to­geth­er to teach chil­dren, es­pe­cial­ly boys the im­por­tance of re­spect­ing girls and women. 

In­crease in de­mand for pro­tec­tion  

Da­ta ob­tained from the Ju­di­cia­ry ear­li­er this year re­port­ed that the to­tal num­ber of pro­tec­tion or­ders from Fam­i­ly, Chil­dren and Dis­trict Courts had in­creased from 2,111 in 2022 to 2,785 in 2023.  

The da­ta al­so showed that be­tween Jan­u­ary to Au­gust this year, 2,270 pro­tec­tion or­ders were al­ready grant­ed. 

An in­ter­im pro­tec­tion or­der was is­sued for Ram­sa­roop on April 24. 

How­ev­er, High Court Judge Jus­tice Frank Seep­er­sad in an in­ter­view with Guardian Me­dia in Oc­to­ber, not­ed that suf­fi­cient re­sources must be al­lo­cat­ed to shel­ters and homes for vic­tims of abuse. He said hav­ing a pro­tec­tion or­der may not be enough to pre­vent fur­ther at­tacks.  

In her ex­pe­ri­ence, Ra­jaram said first re­spon­ders must be held to high­er stan­dards of ac­count­abil­i­ty as she re­called in­stances where re­ports were made with lit­tle more than a re­ceipt to show for it.  

Af­ter one par­tic­u­lar­ly dif­fi­cult pe­ri­od of re­port­ing the abuse to the po­lice with lit­tle re­sults, Ra­jaram claimed her sis­ter was frus­trat­ed over the lack of re­sponse.  

“She said, ‘An­nie I just fed up. I don’t know what to do again for these po­lice to lock him up.’ 

“I said ‘Gee­ta the day some­thing hap­pens to you, that’s when you’ll see all the po­lice,’ and so said, so done.” 

How­ev­er, ACP South-Cen­tral Wayne Mys­tar re­ferred to the pro­tec­tion or­der grant­ed for Ram­sa­roop’s safe­ty and re­mind­ed vic­tims to avoid in­ter­act­ing with their abusers for their own safe­ty. 

“We can­not have per­sons who have pro­tec­tion or­ders to pro­tect them, (and) they are op­er­at­ing in a man­ner that will leave them­selves in harm’s way,” Mys­tar told one dai­ly news­pa­per. 

And while Ra­jaram agreed that her sis­ter should have kept away from the ac­cused for her own safe­ty, at this point there is noth­ing more that can be done. 

IACHR calls for im­me­di­ate ac­tion 

Alarmed by the da­ta, the In­ter-Amer­i­can Com­mis­sion on Hu­man Rights, an au­tonomous or­gan of the Or­ga­ni­za­tion of Amer­i­can States, has ex­pressed its con­cern over the sit­u­a­tion of gen­der-based vi­o­lence against women in Trinidad and To­ba­go. The IACHR called on the State to adopt ur­gent mea­sures to pre­vent and erad­i­cate gen­der-based vi­o­lence, par­tic­u­lar­ly in the fam­i­ly and in­ti­mate part­ner con­text.

“These mea­sures should in­cor­po­rate a gen­der and in­ter­sec­tion­al ap­proach, en­sure the ef­fec­tive pro­tec­tion of sur­vivors and pro­mote the trans­for­ma­tion of so­cio-cul­tur­al pat­terns that nor­malise gen­der-based vi­o­lence against women.

“The Com­mis­sion re­ceived re­ports of homi­cides of at least four women in Oc­to­ber 2024, who ex­pe­ri­enced a his­to­ry of do­mes­tic and in­ti­mate part­ner vi­o­lence. Ac­cord­ing to pub­licly avail­able in­for­ma­tion, in re­cent weeks phys­i­cal at­tacks on six women were re­port­ed, of which four died. These at­tacks were per­pe­trat­ed by part­ners or ex-part­ners of the vic­tims. In some cas­es, the vic­tims would have been ben­e­fi­cia­ries of pro­tec­tion mea­sures that were not im­ple­ment­ed,” a press re­lease is­sued in ear­ly No­vem­ber said.

It called on the State to guar­an­tee that all women have ac­cess to ef­fec­tive pro­tec­tion mea­sures and ju­di­cial guar­an­tees to pre­vent vi­o­lence from es­ca­lat­ing to femi­cide. It al­so called on com­pli­ance with oblig­a­tions to in­ves­ti­gate and pun­ish vi­o­lence, send­ing a clear mes­sage of ze­ro tol­er­ance.

“The Com­mis­sion recog­nis­es the State’s ef­forts to com­bat vi­o­lence against women, such as the Na­tion­al Strate­gic Plan of Ac­tion on Gen­der-Based Vi­o­lence and Sex­u­al Vi­o­lence and the de­ci­sion of the High Court that recog­nised the State’s oblig­a­tion to pro­tect vic­tims of do­mes­tic vi­o­lence from the ac­tions of non-State ac­tors. In this re­gard, it urges the State to con­tin­ue and re­dou­ble ef­forts to com­pre­hen­sive­ly ad­dress gen­der-based vi­o­lence, in­clud­ing mea­sures to trans­form dis­crim­i­na­to­ry so­cio-cul­tur­al pat­terns that nor­malise vi­o­lence against women, es­pe­cial­ly in the do­mes­tic and in­ti­mate part­ner con­texts.

“In par­tic­u­lar, the IACHR urges the State of Trinidad and To­ba­go to take con­crete mea­sures to en­sure that any vic­tim or po­ten­tial vic­tim of gen­der-based vi­o­lence has ac­cess to time­ly and ef­fec­tive pro­tec­tion mea­sures, which in­te­grate dif­fer­en­ti­at­ed ap­proach­es to gen­der and in­ter­sec­tion­al­i­ty; it must al­so en­sure its prop­er im­ple­men­ta­tion through mon­i­tor­ing, su­per­vi­sion, and ac­count­abil­i­ty mech­a­nisms. In ad­di­tion, it urges the State to con­duct dili­gent in­ves­ti­ga­tions that lead to the iden­ti­fi­ca­tion and pun­ish­ment of those re­spon­si­ble, in ad­di­tion to en­sur­ing vic­tims’ ac­cess to com­pre­hen­sive care ser­vices and repa­ra­tion,” the No­vem­ber 7 re­lease said.

  

CADV con­tin­ues to ad­vo­cate for sup­port for bat­tered women

 In­ter­im pres­i­dent of the Coali­tion Against Do­mes­tic Vi­o­lence (CADV) Dr Kati­ja Khan de­scribed the TTPS’ do­mes­tic vi­o­lence fig­ures as alarm­ing.

“I think any fig­ure that shows us the scope and the size of the prob­lem we have in our coun­try is alarm­ing and should con­tin­ue to alarm us,” she told Guardian Me­dia last week. 

The most dis­turb­ing crimes, she said, were sex­u­al of­fences com­mit­ted against chil­dren.

She said in many cas­es, the vic­tims know the per­pe­tra­tors, stat­ing that there is an epi­dem­ic of vi­o­lence against women and girls in T&T.

“These peo­ple should be play­ing a role in pro­tect­ing them. But in­stead they are caus­ing harm and trau­ma that they have to live with for years.”

Khan de­scribed do­mes­tic vi­o­lence as a scourge that wreaks hav­oc on house­holds, com­mu­ni­ties and so­ci­eties.

In the CADV’s 2021/2022 re­port, it said 34 peo­ple were killed in 2021 as a re­sult of fam­i­ly vi­o­lence.

Of that num­ber, 14 were as a re­sult of in­ti­mate part­ner vi­o­lence.

The re­port stat­ed that from Jan­u­ary 2021 to June 2022 CADV pro­vid­ed over 512 free coun­selling and 32 le­gal con­sul­ta­tions for 147 new clients.

Each year, CADV gets fund­ing from spon­sors to help hun­dreds of women.

Khan said most of the women who sought coun­selling, le­gal ad­vice and treat­ment at CADV are in their 30s, em­ployed and ed­u­cat­ed.

“At least 85 per cent of them have one child.”

She said these acts of vi­o­lence against women and  chil­dren have to do with “pow­er and con­trol.”

In­tim­i­da­tion, iso­la­tion, eco­nom­ic abuse and ex­ploita­tion are al­so fac­tors.

“It al­so has to do with min­imis­ing blame and not tak­ing re­spon­si­bil­i­ty or gaslight­ing women. It’s not about love and loss.”

As an aca­d­e­m­ic and psy­chol­o­gist, Khan said pro­tec­tion or­ders have be­come a con­tentious and sig­nif­i­cant is­sue.

“While it is good that we have those pro­vi­sions... they don’t have the in­tend­ed ef­fect when the in­fra­struc­ture is not there to sup­port en­force­ment.”

On De­cem­ber 9, CADV will part­ner with the Caribbean As­so­ci­a­tion for Fem­i­nist Re­search and Ac­tion to dis­cuss this mat­ter in de­tail.

 


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored