JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Friday, April 4, 2025

Classes to resume for Lower Morvant pupils

by

Peter Christopher
2170 days ago
20190425
Lower Morvant Government Primary School which was demolished in 2014.

Lower Morvant Government Primary School which was demolished in 2014.

Class­es for stu­dents of the Low­er Mor­vant Pri­ma­ry School will re­sume to­day fol­low­ing a meet­ing be­tween the Ed­u­ca­tion Min­is­ter and Chair­man of the Board of the Church on the Rock.

A state­ment from the Min­istry of Ed­u­ca­tion said the church will be made avail­able to staff and stu­dents for the re­sump­tion of class­es for this aca­d­e­m­ic term.

The meet­ing was called to ad­dress con­cerns for out­stand­ing pay­ments for the use of the fa­cil­i­ty as a tem­po­rary home for the school body.

An agree­ment was reached be­tween the Min­istry and the Chair­man and class­es will re­sume to­day, the state­ment said.

Ed­u­ca­tion Min­is­ter An­tho­ny Gar­cia stat­ed that the Min­istry was mov­ing swift­ly to have all chal­lenges re­solved for stu­dents to have un­in­ter­rupt­ed teach­ing and learn­ing mov­ing for­ward.

Pupils of the Low­er Mor­vant Gov­ern­ment Pri­ma­ry School have been un­able to re­turn to school be­cause the rent and elec­tric­i­ty bill in­curred has not been paid to the church that tem­po­rary hous­es them.

"We need our school at Low­er Mor­vant, it's 250 chil­dren you are talk­ing about who have no school to at­tend be­cause they are neg­li­gent in pay­ing their bills. Last term two times the keys had to be hand­ed in by the prin­ci­pal and it was on­ly on the good graces of the church I think they were con­sid­er­ing the chil­dren who were prepar­ing for SEA that they al­lowed the chil­dren back in­to the school," said Pres­i­dent of school's Par­ent Teacher As­so­ci­a­tion Karen Wal­ters in an in­ter­view with Guardian Me­dia on Thurs­day.

"Now we are at this point at the start of the new term, SEA has gone so that good grace has gone."

Guardian Me­dia was told that on Wednes­day, par­ents and the chil­dren went to the school on­ly to found the com­pound locked off to them.

The school has been housed at the Church on the Rock Pen­te­costal Church sit­u­at­ed at the cor­ner of 2nd Cale­do­nia and La­dy Young Road, Mor­vant since Jan­u­ary 2014 af­ter the school's orig­i­nal com­pound was de­mol­ished amid plans for it to be re­con­struct­ed. Work on the orig­i­nal site has since stalled.

"The school was de­mol­ished with the promise that with­in a year we would have a new school. Since then noth­ing has been done pos­i­tive­ly to build the school," said Wal­ters.

Par­ents of pupils called on the Min­istry to not on­ly pay the monies to al­low class­es to re­sume but to make some head­way con­cern­ing the school's orig­i­nal com­pound so that the stu­dents can re­turn to a bet­ter learn­ing en­vi­ron­ment.

"The space that they oc­cu­py is ex­treme­ly small. It is like an au­di­to­ri­um that is par­ti­tioned off. And you can hear one teacher to the end of the oc­cu­pied space," she said.


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored