JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Friday, April 4, 2025

FACTT furious over AG’s silence on fireworks legislation

by

Jesse Ramdeo
97 days ago
20241228
Fireworks Coalition of T&T  coordinator Roger Marshall

Fireworks Coalition of T&T coordinator Roger Marshall

Se­nior re­porter

jesse.ramdeo@cnc3.co.tt

Fire­works Coali­tion of Trinidad and To­ba­go (FACTT) co­or­di­na­tor, Roger Mar­shall, is ac­cus­ing At­tor­ney Gen­er­al Regi­nald Ar­mour of aban­don­ing his role re­gard­ing leg­is­la­tion on fire­works use.

Dur­ing an in­ter­view with Guardian Me­dia yes­ter­day, Mar­shall said af­ter Ar­mour’s last up­date near­ly a year ago, con­firm­ing that a cab­i­net note was be­fore a sub-com­mit­tee tasked with im­ple­ment­ing gov­ern­ment pol­i­cy on the pub­lic’s use of fire­works, there has been no ad­di­tion­al in­for­ma­tion.

“We have writ­ten him sev­er­al times since that, at least three or four times via let­ter and email, and he has not re­spond­ed to any of that cor­re­spon­dence for the last year. At this point, cit­i­zens are an­gry; we are fu­ri­ous be­cause there is a pub­lic out­cry with the lack of in­for­ma­tion and lack of feed­back from the At­tor­ney Gen­er­al. As far as we are con­cerned, he has aban­doned his re­spon­si­bil­i­ties and left cit­i­zens in the dark to face these dan­gers alone,” Mar­shall said.

There are height­ened con­cerns, giv­en that fire­works have be­come a fix­ture for end-of-year cel­e­bra­tions. Mar­shall said for near­ly a year, the or­gan­i­sa­tion has been in lim­bo over plans to reg­u­late the dis­charg­ing of py­rotech­nics.

“Let me just say that with­in hours of them start­ing the re­tail sales of fire­works in Mar­aval and Diego Mar­tin, peo­ple were re­port­ing that fire­works were al­ready be­ing set off, so we are ap­peal­ing to the cit­i­zens to show com­pas­sion and en­cour­age your friends and fam­i­ly not to use fire­works in res­i­den­tial ar­eas or near farms or an­i­mal shel­ters, hos­pi­tals, nurs­ing homes, and places like that. We need to set the ex­am­ple.”

He said an­i­mals and vul­ner­a­ble groups con­tin­ued to suf­fer from the loud and sud­den ex­plo­sions of fire­works while those in au­thor­i­ty turned a blind eye.

Mar­shall al­so said he had since penned a let­ter to Prime Min­is­ter Dr Kei­th Row­ley, call­ing for his in­ter­ven­tion in the mat­ter but was yet to re­ceive a re­sponse.

“We had to turn to the last re­sort, which is call­ing on the Prime Min­is­ter to in­ter­vene be­cause the At­tor­ney Gen­er­al has cer­tain­ly aban­doned his re­spon­si­bil­i­ty; he has done noth­ing and giv­en us ab­solute­ly no feed­back of hav­ing done any­thing, so we’ve asked the Prime Min­is­ter to in­struct his cab­i­net and his At­tor­ney Gen­er­al to get some­thing done to safe­guard the pop­u­la­tion against the fire­works.”

He al­so fired back at re­marks from Fire­one Fire­works CEO An­dre Abra­ham, who called for tol­er­ance as it per­tained to fire­works. 

“Maybe we need to see who is ben­e­fit­ing from the sales of fire­works; who is prof­it­ing from it?” Maybe that will get us clos­er to the an­swer for why noth­ing is be­ing done,” he said.

“An­dre Abra­ham, in his press re­lease, made it sound as if he was in dis­cus­sion with the Gov­ern­ment to man­age this whole fire­works in­dus­try.”

Ef­forts to con­tact AG Ar­mour for a re­sponse were un­suc­cess­ful up till news time.


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored