JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Thursday, April 3, 2025

?Af­ter­math of swine flu deaths...

Narace orders probe into treatment by doctors

by

20091018

?Health Min­is­ter Jer­ry Narace has in­struct­ed Chief Med­ical Of­fi­cer Dr An­ton Cum­ber­batch to con­duct an in­ves­ti­ga­tion in­to the clin­i­cal process­es ob­served by lo­cal pri­vate and pub­lic health sec­tor doc­tors who dealt with the four peo­ple who died of the A/H1N1 virus. Narace made the dis­clo­sure dur­ing a news con­fer­ence at his of­fice in Port-of-Spain yes­ter­day. "The Chief Med­ical Of­fi­cer is cur­rent­ly in­ves­ti­gat­ing the fa­tal­i­ties and I asked him to re­port to me in the short­est pos­si­ble time. And I have al­so clear­ly es­tab­lished that we are go­ing to in­ves­ti­gate all, and not on­ly the clin­i­cal­ly process­es, but all oth­er process­es," Narace said. The min­is­ter al­so re­ferred to an ar­ti­cle pub­lished in an­oth­er lo­cal news­pa­per. That re­port claimed one of the A/H1N1 vic­tims had vis­it­ed a pri­vate doc­tor in Pe­nal twice for treat­ment be­fore suc­cumb­ing to his ill­ness at the San Fer­nan­do Gen­er­al Hos­pi­tal.

Narace said the Min­istry of Health was at­tempt­ing to ver­i­fy the news­pa­per ar­ti­cle. "I have al­ready in­struct­ed the Chief Med­ical Of­fi­cer to con­duct thor­ough in­ves­ti­ga­tions in­to the clin­i­cal process­es fol­lowed by that doc­tor, our pub­lic hos­pi­tals, the pri­vate clin­ics where some of those peo­ple came from," Narace said. The min­is­ter's com­ments fol­lowed con­cerns that there ex­ist­ed lo­cal med­ical prac­ti­tion­ers who were neg­li­gent in their de­tec­tion and treat­ment of H1N1 vic­tims. In the ques­tion and an­swer ses­sion of the news con­fer­ence, Narace said he would not jump to con­clu­sions re­gard­ing neg­li­gence from lo­cal doc­tors–both at pri­vate and pub­lic health in­sti­tu­tions–who han­dled the cas­es of A/H1N1 vic­tims who died in Trinidad.

"I have no sus­pi­cions and I am not pre­judg­ing any­thing," he said. "What I want to make sure is that a prop­er au­dit takes place and a re­port is brought to the Min­is­ter. We will at that point de­ter­mine the ap­pro­pri­ate course of ac­tion." Four In­fluen­za A/H1N1 deaths have so far been re­port­ed in T&T. There were 163 lab­o­ra­to­ry con­firmed H1N1 cas­es in the coun­try, ac­cord­ing to sta­tis­tics from the Health Min­istry. Con­firmed vic­tims of H1N1, who suc­cumbed to their ill­ness­es, in­clud­ed Bar­rack­pore res­i­dent Vishraj Ma­haraj, a truck-dri­ver. Ad­ver­tis­ing agency ex­ec­u­tive As­tra Da Cos­ta died on Thurs­day of com­pli­ca­tions of A/H1N1. Ma­haraj died last Tues­day at the San Fer­nan­do Gen­er­al Hos­pi­tal af­ter twice seek­ing treat­ment from a pri­vate doc­tor in Pe­nal.

Da Cos­ta died at the Port-of-Spain Gen­er­al Hos­pi­tal hours af­ter she was trans­ferred from West Shore Med­ical where she was ward­ed since Sep­tem­ber 27

Narace not­ed that those who died of the A/H1N1 had been ad­mit­ted to pub­lic hos­pi­tals "at a late stage in the course of their ill­ness and they all pre­sent­ed res­pi­ra­to­ry dis­tress." He said, too, that those vic­tims had un­der­ly­ing risk fac­tors, which com­pli­cat­ed their cas­es of H1N1. He said oth­er H1N1 cas­es treat­ed in T&T "were rel­a­tive­ly mild and the per­sons re­turned to their nor­mal ac­tiv­i­ties with­in sev­en to ten days." Narace said he un­der­stood that peo­ple in T&T felt anx­ious and fear­ful. "We ex­pect­ed it (a sec­ond wave) and it is clear that it is here," he said.

?Vac­cine due next month:

?He said the Min­istry of Health had de­vel­oped a pan­dem­ic plan to tack­le H1N1. He al­so as­sured that a batch of vac­cines to fight the H1N1 virus was sched­uled to ar­rive in T&T next month. "This is a very se­ri­ous threat and I have said on pre­vi­ous oc­ca­sions while we do not wish pan­ic or hys­te­ria, there is great cause for con­cern and vig­i­lance will bring is great re­wards," Narace said. "While we main­tain that we do not wish for peo­ple to pan­ic or en­gage in hys­te­ria, this is a se­ri­ous threat and there is cause for grave con­cern," he said.


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored