The Central Bank has categorically denied reports published in both the Newsday and Express newspapers yesterday that police officers had visited the institution, interviewed its officers and seized documents relating to a performance bond issued by a company for a Udecott project. The erroneous report was first carried on Thursday night on local television channel TV 6, which is affiliated to the Express newspaper as both are owned by the One Caribbean Media (OCM) group.
The Guardian received the same information as its two newspaper rivals but was able to verify with its sources at the Central Bank and within the police service that the information was incorrect. In the statement yesterday, the Central Bank said it wished to state categorically that there had been "no searches nor seizures of any documents or other material by ACIB or the Fraud Squad at the Central Bank, whether related to Udecott or any other matter." The Central Bank said that while it had discussions in the past with the Anti-Corruption Investigation Bureau, "at no time was any allegation of negligence raised against the Central Bank by ACIB."
According to the statement, the Central Bank said it was prepared at any time to fully co-operate with legitimate requests for information in accordance with the laws of T&T. The Central Bank added that it had "requested a full, immediate and prominent retraction of the statements made in the respective television and newspaper reports as it relates to the matters concerning the Central Bank and its officers." Over 21 per cent of OCM shares, the group's largest block, is owned by Clico, the insurance company that is now under the control of the Central Bank.