There is an outbreak of dengue fever in Tobago says County Medical Officer of Health Dr Murchison Melville.
He was speaking at a news conference at the Tobago Regional Health Authority (TRHA) office yesterday. Melville said while there were no dengue deaths the statistics showed a trend of an outbreak. He added: "The amount of cases reported to date is 159 cases, 55 were positive and that gives a percentage of 35 per cent.
"If you compare the figures from last year–January 1 to July 25, 2009–there is an increase in the amount of cases that were positive." He said the current figures were obtained by rapid test "and these are only screening results and are not confirmatory. "These are sent to the Trinidad Public Health lab where they will say whether it is positive or negative." he added.
Melville said there was an outbreak because this year's figures were 50 per cent higher than last year's. He said from February to May 2010 there was a significant decline in the incidence of dengue in Tobago. However, he added, from June a resurgence was obvious.
Tobago dengue cases for 2010
�2 January: 45 cases reported, 16 positive;
�2 February:17 cases reported, eight positive;
�2 March: 13 cases reported, two positive;
�2 April: 12 cases reported, one positive;
�2 May: 13 cases reported, one positive;
�2 June: 24 cases reported, six positive; and,
�2 July 1 to 25: 48 cases reported, 21 positive
Melville said the areas where positive cases were identified in July were Charlottteville, Belle Garden, Bethel, Plymouth, Les Coteaux, Sou Sou Lands, Mt Thomas, Carnbee, Rockly Vale and Bon Accord.