The PP administration will not allow former UNC MP Ramesh Lawrence Maharaj to set its agenda regarding the Clico issue, PP press secretary Garvin Nicholas said yesterday. Nicholas was asked whether there was any date in sight for a decision on several recommended alternative plans which have been presented to the Government on a solution for Clico policyholders. Three recommendations were sent to the Government last week after a ministerial team headed by Minister Vasant Bharath held five meetings with the Clico Policyholders Group in the last two weeks. The Bharath team was mandated to collate views after there was strong public outcry against a plan for policyholders announced in the 2011 Budget by Finance Minister Winston Dookeran.
Attorney Maharaj who represents a second group of Clico investors–the Clico policyholders Protection Association–has given the Government until monthend to come up with a new deal for the Clico policyholders, or face legal action. Bharath who returned on Saturday from a week-long trip to Grenada–for a Caricom meeting–was unavailable yesterday. Nicholas, however, said: "Government will do everything in the interest of the population." Other government sources said no decision was taken on the recommendations at last Thursday's Cabinet session. They said the information is still being studied. (GA)