JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Friday, April 4, 2025

Govt preparing for storage, distribution of COVID vaccine

by

Anna-Lisa Paul
1567 days ago
20201219
Health Minister Terrence Deyalsingh.

Health Minister Terrence Deyalsingh.

Abraham-Diaz

In an­tic­i­pa­tion of re­ceiv­ing its first batch of COVID-19 vac­cines in the first quar­ter of 2021, lo­cal health au­thor­i­ties are busy prepar­ing fa­cil­i­ties for its stor­age and dis­tri­b­u­tion.

And while Health Min­is­ter Ter­rence Deyals­ingh has not able to say ex­act­ly which vac­cine T&T will be re­ceiv­ing or the costs, he as­sured stor­age lo­ca­tions are be­ing read­ied ahead of time.

Speak­ing dur­ing the Min­istry of Health’s me­dia brief­ing on Sat­ur­day, he said three sub-ze­ro freez­ers had al­ready been iden­ti­fied with­in the coun­try which could be used to store the Pfiz­er vac­cine which has to be kept at -72 de­grees cel­sius.

The ex­ist­ing lo­ca­tions are the Trinidad Pub­lic Health Lab; the Port-of-Spain Gen­er­al Hos­pi­tal; and the Er­ic Williams Med­ical Sci­ences Com­plex, Mt Hope.

He said they are cur­rent­ly be­ing re-com­mis­sioned and ser­viced as part of the na­tion­al prepa­ra­tion plan.

Mean­while, the min­is­ter added, “In case we re­ceive a vac­cine that has to be stored at -20, we al­ready have in-coun­ty in the pub­lic health sec­tor two sub-ze­ro -20 freez­ers at the Ari­ma Hos­pi­tal.”

Con­firm­ing of­fi­cials had vis­it­ed To­ba­go last Thurs­day to in­spect their vac­cine stor­age fa­cil­i­ty, Deyals­ingh dis­closed, “The chiller there is in good con­di­tion. There will have to be some mi­nor tweaks, but if To­ba­go had to re­ceive vac­cines, they can re­ceive vac­cines.”

Stat­ing that the C40 stor­age fa­cil­i­ty in Ch­aguara­mas has space, he said ten­ders had al­ready gone out through the North Cen­tral Re­gion­al Health Au­thor­i­ty (NR­CHA), which is the pro­cure­ment agency, for in­ter­est­ed peo­ple to build the chiller at the Cou­va fa­cil­i­ty.

Hop­ing to be in a state of readi­ness by the end of Feb­ru­ary with the chiller at Cou­va, Deyals­ingh said, “We are an­tic­i­pat­ing that if we are to start re­ceiv­ing vac­cines from March, we will be in a po­si­tion to do so; to re­ceive, to store, and to dis­trib­ute.”

He said ad­di­tion­al or­ders for sub-ze­ro freez­ers had al­ready been placed.

Re­cap­ping the MOH’s re­sponse which be­gan on Ju­ly 13 when Prime Min­is­ter Dr Kei­th Row­ley com­mu­ni­cat­ed T&T’s in­ter­est in ac­quir­ing COVID-19 vac­cines through the Pan Amer­i­can Health Or­ga­ni­za­tion (PA­HO) re­volv­ing fund, Deyals­ingh went on to de­tail the var­i­ous steps that had been tak­en be­tween Sep­tem­ber 9 and No­vem­ber 19.

Re­veal­ing that they had been hand­ed an 18-pa­ra­me­ter pre-req­ui­site by PA­HO on De­cem­ber 2 to be ful­filled, he said that re­port was sub­mit­ted on De­cem­ber 15.

In­di­cat­ing he had vis­it­ed satel­lite cen­tres which will be used as dis­tri­b­u­tion points for the vac­cine un­der the aus­pices of the East­ern Re­gion­al Health Au­thor­i­ty—span­ning ar­eas from To­co to San­gre Grande and Ma­yaro to Rio Claro last week —Deyals­ingh said, “We are choos­ing sites that have re­sus­ci­ta­tion ca­pac­i­ty in case, in the un­like­ly event that some­one should have an ad­verse re­ac­tion, these sites must have re­sus­ci­ta­tion equip­ment.”

In­di­cat­ing sim­i­lar mea­sures would be un­der­tak­en through the oth­er RHAs and should be com­plet­ed by the end of the first week in Jan­u­ary, Deyals­ingh said, “I am sat­is­fied we are on the right path.”

Deyals­ingh point­ed out that CO­V­AX, the glob­al ini­tia­tive to en­sure rapid and eq­ui­table ac­cess to COVID-19 vac­cines for all coun­tries re­gard­less of their in­come lev­el, an­nounced it had arrange­ments in place to ac­cess near­ly two bil­lion dos­es of COVID-19 vac­cines dur­ing 2021, on be­half of 190 par­tic­i­pat­ing coun­tries.

COVID-19


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored