National Security Minister Stuart Young has announced a new initiative in which the Government is prepared to pay citizens who provide information which leads to the seizure and conviction of firearm offenders.
Young said the Government will fund the payment to tipsters through the Crime Stoppers programme.
He was speaking at a press conference at the Ministry of National Security in Port-of-Spain on Sunday afternoon.
Describing the recent upsurge in murders as “unacceptable” Young said all but one of the over 24 murders in the last week were committed with illegal firearms.
“We are launching an initiative but we require assistance from citizens, we will be offering rewards for information that lead us to locate caches, stashes, from one upwards, if we successfully search and recover illegal firearms, we are prepared to offer rewards for that,” Young said.
He said the details of the initiative will be announced in the next “few days.”
Young also said Cabinet approved $2.8 M for an improved radar for the Coast Guard to lock down the borders to stop the flow of illegal firearms into the country.