JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Friday, April 4, 2025

HRM to file injunction to stop highway work

by

Kevon Felmine
1727 days ago
20200712
Highway Reroute Movement (HRM) leader Dr. Wayne Kublalsingh right assists Suresh Chaitoo to put up a sign and caution tape at the Reroute camp located on his land in Roots Avenue in Mon Desire yesterday.

Highway Reroute Movement (HRM) leader Dr. Wayne Kublalsingh right assists Suresh Chaitoo to put up a sign and caution tape at the Reroute camp located on his land in Roots Avenue in Mon Desire yesterday.

Rishi Ragoonath

KEVON FELMINE
kevon.felmine@guardian.co.tt

De­spite be­ing charged with ob­struct­ing work on the Solomon Ho­choy High­way Ex­ten­sion to Point Fortin (SHHEPF) project, High­way Reroute Move­ment (HRM) leader Dr Wayne Kublals­ingh says the group will ap­ply for an in­junc­tion to sus­pend work in Mon De­sir .

An a me­dia con­fer­ence at Camp Reroute along the Right of Way off Roots Av­enue Branch 1, Kublals­ingh claimed the Gov­ern­ment is vi­o­lat­ing the Land Ac­qui­si­tion Act as its con­trac­tor, Gen­er­al Earth Movers Ltd al­ready be­gan clear­ing lands which still be­longs to res­i­dents in the area. He said the group hired a Se­nior Coun­sel who should ap­ply to the high court this week.
Camp Reroute cur­rent­ly blocks part of the Right of Way along the con­tentious leg Debe-Mon De­sir seg­ment of the project. Kublals­ingh said the gov­ern­ment took lands from the Pri­am, Creese, Chaitoo and Ramjohn fam­i­lies’ with­out any com­pen­sa­tion. He asked jour­nal­ists to ques­tion Prime Min­is­ter Dr Kei­th Row­ley on whether he com­pen­sat­ed any landown­ers be­tween Debe and Mon De­sir for their lands.
“We are al­so go­ing to file an in­junc­tion against Works. We are go­ing to say ba­si­cal­ly that the gov­ern­ment is breach­ing the Land Ac­qui­si­tion Act and the EMA Act. We have a mat­ter be­fore Jus­tice James Aboud, who is sup­posed to rule on this mat­ter since Jan­u­ary last year and he has not ruled. The thing is in court. In the mean­time, we are go­ing to try to hold out here as long as pos­si­ble,” Kublals­ingh said.

Landown­er and HRM mem­ber Suresh Chaitoo said the State al­ready cleared the front of his prop­er­ty. Chaitoo said his protest was not on­ly about com­pen­sa­tion, but the gov­ern­ment’s dis­re­gard of the Re­port of the In­de­pen­dent Re­view Com­mit­tee of the Debe-Mon De­sir seg­ment of the San Fer­nan­do to Point Fortin High­way. The Com­mit­tee found there were sig­nif­i­cant short­com­ings which war­rant­ed fur­ther in­ter­ro­ga­tion. It rec­om­mend­ed that if the gov­ern­ment de­cid­ed to pro­ceed with the con­struc­tion of the Debe-Mon De­sir seg­ment, the draw­backs re­sult­ing from the in­ad­e­qua­cies of prop­er as­sess­ment of the like­ly im­pacts on the hu­man and nat­ur­al en­vi­ron­ment must first be de­ter­mined and re­solved.
Chaitoo said Na­tion­al In­fra­struc­tur­al De­vel­op­ment Com­pa­ny (NID­CO), the project man­ag­er, failed to con­tact him re­gard­ing the ac­qui­si­tion of his land. He said the pre­vi­ous arrange­ments be­tween him­self and NID­CO ex­pired.
Al­though the HRM lost its le­gal chal­lenge to stop the re­sump­tion of work along the Debe-Mon De­sir seg­ment back in April, Kublals­ingh said they are ap­peal­ing the rul­ing, even if it has to reach the Privy Coun­cil.
He said, “With all re­spect to the Prime Min­is­ter, with all re­spect to his PNM col­leagues, he has been very treach­er­ous to us. He is fol­low­ing in the foot­steps of the last gov­ern­ment. He is do­ing it like Mooni­lal. He is do­ing it like Warn­er. I ex­pect­ed him to be a more prin­ci­pled man. 
“I would have ex­pect­ed him to fol­low the sci­ence and prin­ci­ple and stop this un­der­tak­ing, but he has done no such thing. There­fore, he will be de­feat­ed. He may not be de­feat­ed this elec­tion, but he will be de­feat­ed very short­ly be­cause you do not do those kinds of things. He is act­ing against the peo­ple’s lands, and com­mu­ni­ties of Trinidad & To­ba­go in favour of the con­trac­toc­ra­cy.”
Kublals­ingh said the Gov­ern­ment’s ac­tions pau­perised the HRM as they spent cost­ly le­gal fees over the years. Now he and mem­bers have to con­vert as­sets to con­tin­ue the bat­tle to save the not on­ly the com­mu­ni­ties but the ecol­o­gy of the area. He said they would not re­lent in stop­ping the gov­ern­ment from de­stroy­ing the re­main­ing for­est in the area.

Last May, Fyz­abad po­lice ar­rest­ed Kublals­ingh af­ter he al­leged­ly at­tempt­ed to stop ex­ca­va­tors from bull­doz­ing a forest­ed area, which he said was on pri­vate lands. The po­lice grant­ed him $500 own bail on an ob­struc­tion charge. He lat­er went to the Siparia Po­lice Sta­tion where he ap­peared via video link be­fore Se­nior Mag­is­trate Mar­garet Alert. He plead­ed not guilty to a charge of ob­struc­tion of the pas­sage­way.

 


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored