JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Friday, April 4, 2025

Khan: Expect increased crude oil production in coming years

by

Curtis Williams
1478 days ago
20210317

En­er­gy Min­is­ter Franklin Khan has pre­dict­ed that T&T’s crude oil pro­duc­tion will in­crease to over 90,000 bar­rels of oil per day (bo/d) by 2025 with most of the in­crease com­ing from state-owned Her­itage Pe­tro­le­um Com­pa­ny Ltd.

In an in­ter­view with the Busi­ness Guardian Khan said, “We have a fore­cast here that says we can reach 92,000 in 2025. Un­less we find new big fields. Re­mem­ber this is on the pe­riph­ery. Re­mem­ber I still want to ini­ti­ate an ex­plo­ration pro­gramme for the Cre­ta­ceous, that was the south­ern basin with Exxon, and I try­ing to put the lo­gis­tics in place for that.”

The En­er­gy Min­is­ter said he was told that there was in­ter­est by the world’s largest oil and gas com­pa­ny to look again at T&T’s on land province.

“My un­der­stand­ing is that Exxon may be in­ter­est­ed in it be­cause its Cre­ta­ceous oil they find­ing in Guyana and Suri­name you know. It is not the same basin, but we are al­ready part of the east­ern Venezuela basin. So as a long term strat­e­gy, that could be on the ta­ble, but then your time-line of the life­time now of liq­uid fu­els seem to be short­en­ing, es­pe­cial­ly Guyana’s ag­gres­sive de­vel­op­ment plan which is dri­ven by Exxon and I see the same thing is go­ing to hap­pen in Suri­name,” Khan not­ed.

The En­er­gy Min­is­ter said there is fair­ly good jus­ti­fi­ca­tion to go af­ter the Cre­ta­ceous “if we take a sec­ond look with the new tech­nol­o­gy that is avail­able, the new think­ing in ge­o­log­i­cal mod­el­ling it is worth a try again.

“Cur­tis, imag­ine Exxon ran a Cre­ta­ceous ex­plo­ration pro­gramme with on­ly 2d seis­mic. That was in the 80s, I worked on that project, I was in Hous­ton for two years and the team leader of that project con­tact­ed me last year, he is now re­tired. He said he has done some work in Papua New Guinea, you know they find­ing big gas there, and he said ‘I will like the op­por­tu­ni­ty to come back to Trinidad to take a look at the basin again’, so I think I will take up his of­fer short­ly,” Khan said.

With re­spect to in­creased pro­duc­tion from Her­itage, Khan said the com­pa­ny’s first port of call was to sta­bilise its pro­duc­tion which it has achieved.

He said, “I think they have done that so. Now I am speak­ing to them very reg­u­lar­ly and I have told them I want a laser-beam fo­cus on pro­duc­tion and they are do­ing that. They have eval­u­at­ed the Trin­mar acreage, there is the Ju­bilee field that they are go­ing out to a joint ven­ture for, there is South-West Sol­da­do which they will be go­ing on a joint ven­ture for, to bring in the in­vest­ment lev­el, to bring in the pro­duc­tion.”

Ac­cord­ing to the En­er­gy Min­is­ter Her­itage will al­so seek to in­crease the lease op­er­a­tor­ship/farm-out on­shore and he has told them they have to come up with their own drilling pro­gramme for the land-based as­sets.

The min­is­ter al­so promised to have a bid round for fur­ther deep ex­plo­ration in what is called the Siparia syn­cline for Her­reras, sim­i­lar to what Touch­stone has made sev­er­al dis­cov­er­ies.

He said, “This will prob­a­bly take about two years but I can see Her­itage ramp­ing up to over 60/70,000 bar­rels of oil per day by 2024.”

With re­spect to the Ju­bilee field Khan said while Her­itage had gone out to mar­ket with a Re­quest for Pro­pos­al (RFP) it was now go­ing out to ten­der the field.

“They are hav­ing a lot of in­ter­est in it. Ju­bilee is a heavy oil­field eh.”

With re­spect to the South-West Sol­da­do field and the co-op­er­a­tion agree­ment with Roy­al Dutch Shell Khan said an an­nounce­ment will be made soon.

“We have some­thing in place for South-West Sol­da­do which we will make pub­lic, I would say with­in a month or so. Stay post­ed on that.”

Khan ac­knowl­edged that the field has al­ways had sig­nif­i­cant po­ten­tial but has been fraught with chal­lenges.

“At least what we have now is the Mopo, that is bring­ing some sta­bil­i­ty to South-West Sol­da­do, be­cause what the Mopo is do­ing, it is re­duc­ing sur­face pres­sure, some­thing sim­i­lar to what Cas­sia plat­form will do for bpTT, so the wells could flow and it is tak­ing the gas, com­press­ing it and re-in­ject­ing it for gas lift. That is even with­out drilling we will get ad­di­tion­al pro­duc­tion there and then we have a drilling pro­gramme planned for South-West.

“The whole is­sue here now is the eco­nom­ics be­cause as I keep say­ing, to be in this busi­ness you have to have deep pock­ets. The oil and gas busi­ness is not for the faint heart­ed, and when you go in­to a pok­er game you have to have bank, if you lose the first pot, you have to come again,” the En­er­gy Min­is­ter end­ed.


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored