JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Friday, April 4, 2025

Malick Secondary re-opens after bad road forces closure

by

Otto Carrington
1912 days ago
20200108

Class­es re­sumed to­day at Mal­ick Sec­ondary School af­ter teach­ers stayed away from class­es yes­ter­day.

They de­cid­ed to stay away from class­es af­ter they were ad­vised to use an al­ter­nate road­way to ac­cess the school be­cause of the poor con­di­tion of the main ac­cess road.

The teach­ers said they were fear­ful since it meant the new route would mean they had to pass through an area de­scribed as a crime hotspot.

For months now the main ac­cess road to the school has been af­fect­ed by un­der­ground soil ero­sion and it now pos­es a threat to the stu­dents and teach­ers.

With no class­es, Mem­ber of Par­lia­ment for Laven­tille East Mor­vant, Adri­an Leonce, Coun­cil­lor for the area, Kwe­si An­toine along with school’s Par­ents’ Teach­ers As­so­ci­a­tion (PTA), rep­re­sen­ta­tives of the Trinidad and To­ba­go Uni­fied Teach­ers As­so­ci­a­tion (TTUTA), Min­istry of Works and Trans­port and the Min­istry of Ed­u­ca­tion held an hour-long meet­ing at the school.

Vice Pres­i­dent of the Mal­ick Sec­ondary School P-T-A, Karen Wal­ters said her con­cern was that it al­ways takes some se­ri­ous mea­sure, some with­hold­ing of a ser­vice, a protest or strike ac­tion to get some­thing done for the chil­dren of the Mal­ick Sec­ondary School and by ex­ten­sion the chil­dren of Mor­vant.

“Why does this have to reach to this, let­ters were sent out months ago about this road, there was site vis­its and still noth­ing hap­pened, since then it has got­ten pro­gres­sive­ly worst”, Wal­ters said.

She added, “From yes­ter­day to to­day the road has sink more, why do we have un­til things are at the point where it bub­bling over for some­thing to be done, why our chil­dren is al­ways ne­glect­ed it is un­fair and it must be stopped”.

Wal­ters lament­ed that the stu­dents of Mal­ick Sec­ondary School have been through a sim­i­lar sit­u­a­tion al­ready and re­called that stu­dents have been away from class­es for a term in 2017.

Speak­ing to the Guardian, Mem­ber of Par­lia­ment for Laven­tille East Mor­vant, Adri­an Leonce said he is aware the con­di­tion of the road has been an is­sue and he brought it to the at­ten­tion of the Min­istry of Works and Trans­port.

He added a meet­ing was card­ed for the end of the week to deal with the is­sue but when the class­es were sus­pend­ed the meet­ing was called with all stake­hold­ers to come to an am­i­ca­ble so­lu­tion.

“The plan now is to put a bai­ley bridge to give teacher and stu­dents safe ac­cess to the school, and the time­line for will be four to five days to be in­stalled,” MP Leonce said.

He added,“ With­in those days the teach­ers will be parked at Day Break As­sem­bly church car park and then be shut­tled to the school and they all agreed to it”.

MP Leonce said, “the main ob­jec­tive is to get the stu­dents back to school and it is on­ly one day of dis­rup­tion and I am hap­py that all par­ties have come to an am­i­ca­ble so­lu­tion”.


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored