JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Friday, April 4, 2025

Man who rescued baby girl wants to visit her

by

Rhondor Dowlat-Rostant
1589 days ago
20201127
Stephen Redhead who  who found an abandoned baby hidden among bushes in Freeport recently.

Stephen Redhead who who found an abandoned baby hidden among bushes in Freeport recently.

RHONDOR DOWLAT- ROATANT

 

The young man who found the aban­doned ba­by hid­den among bush­es in Freeport last Thurs­day wants to vis­it the in­fant, to see for him­self how she is do­ing.

Steven Red­head, 21, who has been shy­ing away from the spot­light said he has been try­ing to “go see her”, but I’m wait­ing for them to get back to me lat­er.”

On No­vem­ber 19, Red­head was la­belled a lo­cal hero as he fol­lowed what he first thought were the “cries of kit­tens” com­ing from the bush­es that he and his broth­er were walk­ing past to head to work that morn­ing. 

Those cries turned out to be short cries of a ba­by girl who was hid­den in some bush­es mere me­ters from the ma­jor road that runs par­al­lel to the en­trance of Beau­ca­roo Vil­lage, Old South­ern Main Road in Cen­tral.

The ba­by girl, who was dressed in a fuch­sia pink one­sie and a pair of match­ing socks, be­lieved to be a few weeks old, was found ly­ing on her back on the grass in the swel­ter­ing heat. Her blan­ket was bun­dled up next to her. 

Speak­ing with the Guardian Me­dia last week, Red­head said he did not see him­self as a hero as he was sure if some­one else was to pass­ing by and heard the cries they would have done the right thing, just like he did. 

Mean­while, in­ves­ti­gat­ing of­fi­cers are still search­ing for the ba­by’s par­ents and oth­er rel­a­tives as no one has come for­ward with any in­for­ma­tion on who the ba­by be­longs to.

Since the res­cue of the ba­by girl, there have been nu­mer­ous peo­ple have been seek­ing in­for­ma­tion about her wel­fare and have even of­fered to adopt her.

How­ev­er, last Fri­day, the Chil­dren’s Au­thor­i­ty of Trinidad and To­ba­go gave the as­sur­ance that the ba­by is “in a safe place and is get­ting the re­quired med­ical at­ten­tion.”

In a re­lease, the Au­thor­i­ty said it will be man­ag­ing the case and will pro­vide the nec­es­sary in­ter­ven­tions, in the best in­ter­est of the child.

When con­tact­ed on Thurs­day af­ter­noon as to the re­quest to vis­it by the res­cuer, Red­head, Cheryl Moses-Williams, Com­mu­ni­ca­tions Man­ag­er| Pub­lic Ed­u­ca­tion & Com­mu­ni­ca­tions at the Chil­dren’s Au­thor­i­ty of Trinidad and To­ba­go said she was in “no po­si­tion to ad­vise on that mat­ter.”

In­ves­ti­ga­tors are again plead­ing with mem­bers of the pub­lic who have any in­for­ma­tion as to where the par­ents of the child can be found to call them at 555, 999, 800 TIPS or 482 GARY.


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored