JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Friday, April 4, 2025

Mayor: Lack of funding killing Sando Carnival

by

Kevon Felmine
2255 days ago
20190130
San Fernando Mayor Junia Regrello

San Fernando Mayor Junia Regrello

San Fer­nan­do may­or Ju­nia Re­grel­lo says that if the Na­tion­al Car­ni­val Com­mis­sion (NCC) con­tin­ues to starve the San Fer­nan­do City Cor­po­ra­tion of suf­fi­cient funds, it will soon lead to the death of Car­ni­val in the city.

Dur­ing his month­ly ad­dress at Wednes­day’s statu­to­ry meet­ing at City Hall, Re­grel­lo said that the re­duc­tion in al­lo­ca­tions over the years have stymied the Car­ni­val ac­tiv­i­ties in San Fer­nan­do.

He said that along with hand­i­cap­ping the growth, it has im­pact­ed on the Cor­po­ra­tion’s abil­i­ty to pay prize mon­ey owed to ded­i­cat­ed mas bands, steel­bands and ca­lyp­so­ni­ans.

“These dri­vers of our Car­ni­val cul­ture, who in the face of these loss­es, con­tin­ue on in the name of keep­ing our her­itage alive. The pauci­ty of fund­ing on­ly serves to de­mo­ti­vate them in their tire­less ef­forts and de­mands im­me­di­ate at­ten­tion if we in­tend to keep the cel­e­bra­tions alive in our City. For many years, San Fer­nan­do was a nexus point for the towns and vil­lages in the South. How­ev­er, the dis­tri­b­u­tion of fund­ing for Car­ni­val has not grown pro­por­tion­ate­ly with our evo­lu­tion as a city and re­quires im­me­di­ate at­ten­tion.

“If this course of ac­tion by the NCC con­tin­ues along this path I am cer­tain the dis­rup­tion to Car­ni­val in San Fer­nan­do will progress to a point where there may not be Car­ni­val cel­e­bra­tions from a com­pe­ti­tion per­spec­tive and will ul­ti­mate­ly be the death of Car­ni­val in San Fer­nan­do,” Re­grel­lo said.

He added that South­ern-based steel­bands are mov­ing around “cap-in-hand” seek­ing fi­nan­cial as­sis­tance. He said two of the city’s large bands are op­er­at­ing with an al­lo­ca­tion of less than $500,000 which is in­clu­sive of trans­porta­tion.

“Heav­en help us.”

Based on fig­ures from the Cor­po­ra­tion, NCC fund­ing for Car­ni­val has been dwin­dling since 2013 when they re­ceived $3 mil­lion to 2018’s al­lo­ca­tion of $400,000.

Last week, Re­grel­lo said that NCC had al­lo­cat­ed $400,000 for 2019 and he had asked NCC chair­man Win­ston “Gyp­sy” Pe­ters to re­view the fund­ing. Up to yes­ter­day, no funds were placed in the city’s cof­fers for Car­ni­val.

The is­sue with fund­ing goes deep­er as Re­grel­lo and Pe­ters have been at odds over the con­struc­tion of a gate at Skin­ner Park. Pe­ters had re­cent­ly claimed that the cor­po­ra­tion wast­ed its 2018 al­lo­ca­tion on putting up the gate, which he said had been built years ago when he was the Min­is­ter of Arts and Mul­ti­cul­tur­al­ism.

Not on­ly did Re­grel­lo de­ny the claim, but he al­so said the ven­ti­la­tion of the mat­ter in the pub­lic do­main has cost the city the loss of one po­ten­tial spon­sor­ship and can tar­nish fu­ture spon­sors.

Re­grel­lo said that sub­stan­tial ev­i­dence in­di­cates that the con­struc­tion and in­stal­la­tion of this gate were car­ried out in Feb­ru­ary 2013 un­der a dif­fer­ent po­lit­i­cal ad­min­is­tra­tion.

In 2013, the al­lo­ca­tion was $3 mil­lion and the then coun­cil, award­ed a con­tract to one of the coun­cil­lors who sub-con­tract­ed it to New Earth Con­trac­tors Lim­it­ed. Pay­ment was made in three tranch­es to­talling $275,000.


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored