JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Friday, April 4, 2025

Road to Re­cov­ery

Need to revisit mega-farms for food security

by

Radhica De Silva
1798 days ago
20200502

rad­hi­ca.sookraj@guardian.co.tt

The late Prime Min­is­ter Patrick Man­ning would like­ly be rolling in his grave if he found out what has hap­pened to his 2020 vi­sion for agri­cul­ture.

In 2007, Man­ning pro­posed the idea of mega-farms, de­vot­ing $100 mil­lion to es­tab­lish nine farms.

He hoped that the farms will train farm­ers in mod­ern agri­cul­tur­al tech­niques and al­so to put a dent on the do­mes­tic food im­port bill so that by 2020, T&T could be par­tial­ly self-suf­fi­cient with food.

Un­for­tu­nate­ly, the mega farm project to­tal­ly failed and much of T&T’s valu­able land re­sources went to waste.

To­day these mega-farms are out of op­er­a­tion, some have been sold and oth­ers aban­doned.

Dur­ing an ex­clu­sive in­ter­view with Guardian Me­dia, mega-farmer and en­tre­pre­neur Joe Pires, who ac­quired 200 acres of State lands to es­tab­lish two mega-farms at Tuck­er Val­ley and Ed­in­burgh, Ch­agua­nas said a lack of in­fra­struc­ture un­der­mined the suc­cess of his mega-farms.

He said the 100 acres of land at Ed­in­burgh was nev­er farmed dur­ing the dry sea­son be­cause there was no ir­ri­ga­tion.

His 100 acres par­cel of land at Tuck­er Val­ley, Ch­aguara­mas was un­prof­itable and in 2018, the gov­ern­ment un­der Min­is­ter Clarence Ramb­harat took back 50 acres to give to the Guave Road farm­ers.

At that time Plan­ning Min­is­ter Camille Robin­son Reg­is said the Guave Road farm­ers had been in con­stant oc­cu­pa­tion of ap­prox­i­mate­ly 122.6 acres of the land in ex­cess of 30 years and leas­es would be pro­vid­ed to reg­u­larise them.

But Pires said the farm­ers nev­er put the land to pro­duc­tive use.

Out of the re­main­ing 50 acres he owned, Pires said 20 acres were still forest­ed, about 10 acres were be­ing farmed and the rest was used for green­hous­es, car parks, liv­ing quar­ters and a restau­rant. That meant on­ly 15 acres out of 50 acres went in­to ac­tu­al farm­ing.

Un­prof­itabil­i­ty forced Pires to sell the re­main­ing 50-acre par­cel to De­vi Boodoos­ingh, the own­er of 02 Park who now or­gan­is­es wed­dings and oth­er func­tions on the agri­cul­tur­al es­tate.

Pires said this of­fered a greater mar­gin of prof­itabil­i­ty than ac­tu­al farm­ing.

He said the 100-acre par­cel at Ch­agua­nas is be­ing cul­ti­vat­ed slow­ly with fruit trees.

“We plant three to four acres of fruit trees per year. It would cost us $150,000 to put down ir­ri­ga­tion and as a farmer, we do not want to spend that. We just want to plant,” Pires said.

What will make mega farms prof­itable?

Pires said the idea of mega farm­ing can­not be prof­itable in the cur­rent state.

He said in­fra­struc­ture was a big prob­lem and the gov­ern­ment should pro­vide ir­ri­ga­tion is farm­ing was to be­come prof­itable.

Pires rec­om­mend­ed that Farm Parks be set up across the coun­try com­pris­ing of 100-acre parcels al­lo­cat­ed to mul­ti­ple farm­ers in five-acre blocks. He said each farmer should have leas­es for a year. He said every farmer should be­long to a co­op­er­a­tive and should pool funds to­geth­er to pur­chase equip­ment to be used with­in the 100-acre par­cel. Pires said each Farm Park should have prop­er in­fra­struc­ture and a pack­ing fa­cil­i­ty. He said an ir­ri­ga­tion line should be set up link­ing all 100 acre Farm Parks. This ir­ri­ga­tion line could utilise the wa­ter used in the cool­ing tow­ers of plants on the Point Lisas In­dus­tri­al Es­tate.

He not­ed that NAMDE­V­CO should fa­cil­i­tate mar­kets for the farm­ers. Im­ports should be re­duced in­cre­men­tal­ly on an an­nu­al ba­sis with set tar­gets and T&T should fo­cus on agro-pro­cess­ing whilst form­ing part­ner­ships to utilise land in Guyana and else­where. Pires said toma­to paste and pineap­ple, co­conut, paw­paw and even lo­cal­ly pro­duced milk should of­fer op­por­tu­ni­ties for down­stream in­dus­tries.

Mean­while, plant re­searcher and breed­er Ramdeo Boon­doo said the mega-farm project failed be­cause the plan was in­com­plete.

“The farm was sup­posed to be a pri­vate sec­tor in­vest­ment fa­cil­i­tat­ed by the State. NAMDE­V­CO was sup­posed to or­gan­ise qual­i­ty con­trol and mar­kets. Through NAMDE­V­CO, a sched­uled was sup­posed to be out­lined so that farm­ers will know what to pro­duce and what quan­ti­ty,” he said. How­ev­er, pol­i­tics taint­ed the mega-farms and peo­ple who had no in­ter­est in farm­ing, took pos­ses­sion of valu­able State land,” Boon­doo added.

He de­nied that lar­ce­ny made the farms un­prof­itable.

“When I was in the Agri­cul­tur­al So­ci­ety we looked at is­sues of land tenure, prae­di­al lar­ce­ny and lack of in­fra­struc­ture which un­der­mined prof­itabil­i­ty in the agri­cul­tur­al sec­tor. These prob­lems still ex­ist to­day,” he said.

Late last year, Min­is­ter Clarence Ramb­harat said the gov­ern­ment want­ed mega-farm­ers and not mega-farms. Per­ma­nent Sec­re­tary An­gela Siew in 2017 said the mega-farm project had been shelved be­cause of lack of fund­ing. She said many is­sues with leas­es could not be fixed be­cause of staffing woes at the Land Man­age­ment Di­vi­sion.

Sev­er­al emails and What­sapp mes­sages were sent to Min­is­ter Ramb­harat and his com­mu­ni­ca­tions man­ag­er Do­minic Hinds for com­ment. Min­is­ter Ramb­harat did not re­spond to ques­tions. Hinds said a re­sponse will be is­sued some­time next week.


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored