JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Friday, April 4, 2025

PM refuses to name lawyers who failed to obtain ‘silk’

by

Gail Alexander
694 days ago
20230510
Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley responds to a question from the Opposition during yesterday’s Parliament sitting.

Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley responds to a question from the Opposition during yesterday’s Parliament sitting.

NICOLE DRAYTON

Prime Min­is­ter Dr Kei­th Row­ley yes­ter­day re­fused the Op­po­si­tion’s call for him to name the peo­ple who were un­suc­cess­ful in ob­tain­ing se­nior coun­sel rank, as he said their names should not be called in Par­lia­ment to be scan­dalised.

Row­ley did so in Par­lia­ment while re­ply­ing to UNC MP Sad­dam Ho­sein’s ques­tions on the is­sue.

Fol­low­ing this week’s ap­point­ment of se­nior coun­sel by Pres­i­dent Chris­tine Kan­ga­loo, Ho­sein called on Row­ley to pro­vide a com­plete list of all the ap­pli­cants.

Row­ley said Gov­ern­ment, through its of­fi­cials, had in­di­cat­ed the process in great de­tail and 57 peo­ple ap­plied, as well as the num­ber se­lect­ed. He said he as Prime Min­is­ter, “...refuse to call their names in Par­lia­ment so that they might be scan­dalised.”

“I think if peo­ple ap­ply for ‘silk’ and they were un­suc­cess­ful, their names should not be called in the Par­lia­ment to be scan­dalised,” Row­ley added.

On an­oth­er query, Row­ley said the date on which the fi­nal list of ap­pli­cants to be ap­point­ed se­nior coun­sel was sub­mit­ted to him by the At­tor­ney Gen­er­al was May 2.

Ho­sein al­so asked AG Regi­nald Ar­mour to state the names of the se­nior Law As­so­ci­a­tion of­fi­cials he had dis­cus­sions with on ap­pli­cants for “silk” and when. AG Ar­mour said this was Dou­glas Mendes, who was del­e­gat­ed that re­spon­si­bil­i­ty by LATT pres­i­dent Lynette See­baran-Suite, who had re­cused her­self. This was on May 2.

Mean­while, Ho­sein al­so filed a mo­tion yes­ter­day seek­ing to have AG Ar­mour tak­en to Par­lia­ment’s Priv­i­leges Com­mit­tee for al­leged­ly mis­lead­ing Par­lia­ment’s Stand­ing Fi­nance Com­mit­tee last week in pre­sent­ing cer­tain in­for­ma­tion on le­gal fees.

Ho­sein said he had asked Ar­mour when he would pro­vide a list of all of the at­tor­neys who would be col­lect­ing fees, as he had un­der­tak­en to so pro­vide at the Stand­ing Fi­nance Com­mit­tee of Oc­to­ber 11th, 2022.

“I fur­ther in­formed the SFC that the At­tor­ney Gen­er­al did not pro­vide the in­for­ma­tion to Par­lia­ment as he promised.”

Ho­sein claimed Ar­mour re­spond­ed that he had pro­vid­ed a record to Par­lia­ment of a sum­ma­ry list­ing for June 19th, 2021 to March 3rd, 2023, with the names of at­tor­neys and fees and the in­for­ma­tion had al­ready been pro­vid­ed.

But Ho­sein said the Op­po­si­tion did not see it and the record was not placed on the Ro­tun­da, as is cus­tom­ar­i­ly done, nor did search­es yield it. He claimed Ar­mour “de­lib­er­ate­ly made a mis­lead­ing state­ment” and com­mit­ted con­tempt of the Par­lia­ment.

Deputy House Speak­er Es­mond Forde said a rul­ing would be giv­en at a sub­se­quent time.


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored