JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Friday, April 4, 2025

Port to be dredged for new ferry's arrival

by

Shaliza Hassanali & Anna-Lisa Paul
2193 days ago
20190402
Port of Port-of-Spain

Port of Port-of-Spain

EDISON BOODOSINGH

Be­fore the new­ly-leased Jean De La Valette fer­ry ar­rives in T&T, there will have to be dredg­ing of the wa­ters off the Port of Port-of-Spain.

This was re­vealed by Port Au­thor­i­ty of T&T (PATT) chair­man Lyle Alexan­der yes­ter­day.

"When­ev­er a ves­sel is not de­signed for your port....need­less to say there will have to be ad­just­ments made to ac­com­mo­date the ves­sel. We have to ac­com­mo­date the ramp, so works sim­i­lar to what was done for the Galleons Pas­sage will have to be made for this ves­sel."

Alexan­der said PATT was al­so now re­view­ing where to dredge and the best berthing space avail­able to ac­com­mo­date the Galleons Pas­sage and JDLV. How­ev­er, he said it was too ear­ly to tell what would be the cost of that ad­just­ment.

Pressed on if there was a prop­er ten­der­ing process of the ves­sel, Alexan­der replied: "Of course, of course."

But when told that there was no con­sul­ta­tion with stake­hold­ers re­gard­ing the leas­ing arrange­ment and when the ten­der had been ad­ver­tised and by whom, Alexan­der side­stepped these ques­tions.

"At this stage of the game, I will not touch any of those ques­tions," he replied.

But chair­man of the To­ba­go arm of the T&T Cham­ber of In­dus­try and Com­merce Di­ane Hadad says the JDLV will not be able to solve the seabridge woes. She said To­bag­o­ni­ans have grown so ac­cus­tomed to the seabridge fi­as­co they are now numb.

"The Gov­ern­ment is do­ing what they want. They are a dic­ta­tor­ship Gov­ern­ment. They are not work­ing with the peo­ple," Hadad said, adding the cham­ber had been elim­i­nat­ed com­plete­ly from the ten­der­ing process.

For­mer Peo­ple's Na­tion­al Move­ment mem­ber Har­ry Ra­goo­nanan mean­while said he saw no ten­der be­ing ad­ver­tised and won­dered if an eval­u­a­tion had been done.

"It gives the im­pres­sion that the en­tire the ac­qui­si­tion process was fishy and flawed."

He said the Gov­ern­ment owes the coun­try an­swers.

"We don't know any­thing about this boat, which is wor­ry­ing. Who are the boat's own­ers? We don't know if they are friends of the PNM."

Ques­tions emailed to T&T Trans­paren­cy In­sti­tute and di­rect­ed to head of the or­gan­i­sa­tion, Dion Ab­dool, were not re­spond­ed to.

George al­so did not re­spond to a text mes­sage sent by Guardian Me­dia yes­ter­day.


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored