JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Friday, April 4, 2025

Star Network CEO evicted after failed launch

by

Asha Javeed
656 days ago
20230618
Star Network CEO Keron Les Pierre

Star Network CEO Keron Les Pierre

KERWIN PIERRE

Lead Ed­i­tor In­ves­ti­ga­tions

asha.javeed@guardian.co.tt

Three days af­ter the fail­ure to launch Star Net­work, a mo­bile so­lu­tions op­tion for cus­tomers, own­er Keron Les Pierre was asked to leave the In­vaders Bay co-work­ing space where he had set up shop.

Last week, Les Pierre had a botched launch of an event that he has said would rev­o­lu­tionise the mo­bile in­dus­try.

His pitch was to sell phones and lap­tops at $1.

“The launch event is sched­uled to take place at Lev­el 2, In­vaders Bay Tow­er, lo­cat­ed ad­ja­cent to Movi­eTowne in Port-of-Spain,” the press state­ment had said.

How­ev­er, it was shut down af­ter hun­dreds of peo­ple showed up for an event that was es­sen­tial­ly a one-man op­er­a­tion.

Les Pierre was us­ing the co-work­ing space by Re­gus, the world’s largest provider of flex­i­ble work­space which cur­rent­ly rents space with­in the Wood­side Build­ing for its Port-of-Spain Busi­ness Cen­tre.

In an in­ter­view with the Sun­day Guardian last week at Guardian Me­dia’s St Vin­cent Street of­fice, Les Pierre, the CEO of Star, said that the man­age­ment asked him to ter­mi­nate their arrange­ment which he had in place since 2018, giv­en the un­ex­pect­ed crowds and chaos which re­sult­ed in ten­ant­ed peo­ple not be­ing able to ac­cess the build­ing.

The Sun­day Guardian un­der­stands that the pack­age he ini­tial­ly pur­chased from the Re­gus was an ad­dress-on­ly pack­age, which would al­low him to re­ceive mail and use the ad­dress for busi­ness pur­pos­es.

How­ev­er, be­fore the launch, he had rent­ed the fa­cil­i­ty’s board­room which is avail­able for up-to-date paid ten­ants.

The Sun­day Guardian was told that no no­ti­fi­ca­tion was giv­en to Re­gus for a launch event and that on the day that left ten­ants blind­sided by the crowds.

In a com­ment on the mat­ter, Stephanie Ques­nel, Re­gus’ gen­er­al man­ag­er said, “At Re­gus, we have poli­cies and pro­ce­dures in place that must be ad­hered to by all clients across our glob­al net­work of 3,500 cen­tres. These poli­cies are in place to en­sure a safe and pro­fes­sion­al en­vi­ron­ment for all our clients. In this in­stance, our ad­dress was utilised with­out any au­tho­ri­sa­tion in which to do so and sub­se­quent­ly caused a large in­flux of mem­bers of the pub­lic un­ex­pect­ed­ly show­ing up to our lo­ca­tion. The sce­nario was in breach of many of our claus­es and re­sult­ed in us hav­ing no choice but to ter­mi­nate ser­vice.”

A section of the crowd gathered at Invaders Bay, Port-of-Spain, for the launch.

A section of the crowd gathered at Invaders Bay, Port-of-Spain, for the launch.

KERWIN PIERRE

Didn’t read the fine print

While ex­cit­ed by the in­ter­est, Les Pierre, 36, said the sit­u­a­tion could have been avoid­ed if cus­tomers had read the fine print.

But what ex­act­ly is that fine print?

Here’s what it is:

It’s not a sep­a­rate mo­bile en­ti­ty. Rather, Star is us­ing sims from Dig­i­cel for its de­vices which would run on the Dig­i­cel net­work.

The Sun­day Guardian un­der­stands that Les Pierre se­cured 10,000 Dig­i­cel sims for the phones.

Cus­tomers who choose to ac­quire the de­vices at $1, would be signed on to a sub­scrip­tion ser­vice which they would have to pay for month­ly. The $1 would be the ini­tial cost of hard­ware on­ly. So, the full cost of the de­vice would be cov­ered over time with the cost of the sub­scrip­tion. Ul­ti­mate­ly, Dig­i­cel is the end provider ser­vice on ei­ther de­vice.

The hard­ware–the phones and lap­top–are man­u­fac­tured by an “Asian” firm specif­i­cal­ly for Les Pierre. The soft­ware is pro­vid­ed by Mi­crosoft’s af­fil­i­ate PC Clin­ic. He did not dis­close the ex­act lo­ca­tion or com­pa­ny from which it is be­ing sourced.

The “fine print” was not made pub­lic or dis­closed to cus­tomers in the com­pa­ny’s re­lease.

In­stead, the press re­lease led cus­tomers to be­lieve that there was a third mo­bile op­er­a­tor with de­vices for $1.

When the Sun­day Guardian point­ed out that the fine print was not in­clud­ed in the press re­lease and per­haps it was disin­gen­u­ous to omit that it was pow­ered by an ex­ist­ing mo­bile ser­vices provider, Les Pierre ac­knowl­edged that more in­for­ma­tion should have been pro­vid­ed to po­ten­tial cus­tomers.

The press re­lease led to TSTT’s chief ex­ec­u­tive Lisa Agard is­su­ing a swift call of ac­tion to the Telecom­mu­ni­ca­tions Au­thor­i­ty of T&T (TATT) to in­ter­vene.

Les Pierre, who has a diplo­ma in mar­ket­ing from the School of Ac­count­ing and Man­age­ment, said that the on­ly re­buke he re­ceived from TATT who vis­it­ed on the day was to re­move the word ‘mo­bile’ from their tag.

In his view, his launch was suc­cess­ful.

Who is Les Pierre?

Les Pierre ac­knowl­edged that there was scep­ti­cism about the op­er­a­tion in the pub­lic do­main, and he had heard the de­scrip­tions of him­self as a “con man” and a “smart­man”.

In­stead, he de­scribes him­self as “a vi­sion­ary and an en­tre­pre­neur.”

Last year, Les Pierre, in his ca­pac­i­ty as CEO of Grapes Tech­nol­o­gy, was among the fi­nal­ists of the en­tre­pre­neur­ship cat­e­go­ry at T&T’s Cham­pi­ons of Busi­ness Awards 2022.

At the time, Les Pierre, a young en­tre­pre­neur, was hailed as one of the Youth Busi­ness of T&T’s (YBTT) many suc­cess sto­ries.

“Les Pierre cre­at­ed an on­line tu­tor­ing ser­vice called GRAPES (Good Reme­dies A Par­ent Should Ex­er­cise So­cial­ly) which equips chil­dren (from child­hood to sec­ondary school) with all the sup­port nec­es­sary to re­alise their fullest po­ten­tial. Les Pierre re­ceived fi­nan­cial and men­tor­ing sup­port for his busi­ness from YBTT,” their FB mes­sage on his achieve­ment said.

He said that GRAPES was an on­line pro­gramme for chil­dren of­fer­ing lessons in math­e­mat­ics, Eng­lish, and psy­cho­log­i­cal sup­port.

This was pre-COVID.

And the $1 Lap­top for Bet­ter Schools ini­tia­tive was born in ear­ly 2018.

The ser­vice was avail­able by sub­scrip­tion and Les Pierre said he had 8,000 sub­scribers.

He said dur­ing the pan­dem­ic, there was a need to have more de­vices and he was able to source the de­vices from the Asian mar­ket and of­fer it at cost price.

Les Pierre brand­ed the lap­tops and phones and Star was born with the abil­i­ty to of­fer the ser­vice na­tion­al­ly.

He con­cedes that some chil­dren who used the lap­tops found them flim­sy with not enough mem­o­ry but said that com­plaints are made about most prod­ucts.

The Star team are Mar­i­on Jones-Scott and Shakedar Veris and Les Pierre.

Fi­nan­cial trou­bles

Les Pierre ad­mit­ted that he ran in­to fi­nan­cial trou­bles with a firm he hired to help him.

The firm, First­line Se­cu­ri­ties, had agreed to fi­nance a $3.2 mil­lion fa­cil­i­ty but the deal fell through.

When a val­u­a­tion was done on the col­lat­er­al for the fi­nan­cial fa­cil­i­ty, a prop­er­ty in Pe­nal for which he want­ed to build hous­es, it was val­ued low­er than he had pro­ject­ed it to be worth.

In ad­di­tion, he said, First­line said they could not get any­one to buy in­to the in­vest­ment.

At the time, he said he had al­ready re­ceived $150,000 from First­line Se­cu­ri­ties.

But un­able to com­plete the fi­nanc­ing of the deal, Les Pierre said it land­ed him in­to some chal­lenges with his cred­it cards.

This pushed back his launch, which was sup­posed to be ear­li­er in the year, as he couldn’t cov­er the cost of de­vices.

He said First­line has since is­sued him a pre-ac­tion pro­to­col let­ter to re­pay sums which in­clud­ed in­ter­est, and mon­ey ex­pend­ed and he had en­gaged an at­tor­ney and was deal­ing with the mat­ter. He did not want to dis­close ex­act­ly why First­line was su­ing him. For its part, First­line’s chief ex­ec­u­tive Kei­th King sim­ply an­swered: “Fi­nan­cial in­sti­tu­tion, no com­ment.”

Les Pierre said that he in­tends to re-launch at an­oth­er lo­ca­tion as he was en­thused by the re­sponse.

He said that he will work with an ap­point­ment sys­tem mov­ing for­ward.

“What we are go­ing to do on so­cial me­dia is post what day and time you can come back as it is go­ing to be an ap­point­ment sys­tem, so, for now, you can log on to In­sta­gram and Face­book, where you will give us an email and we will then do it through an on­line ap­point­ment sys­tem to man­age the crowd,” he said.


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored