JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Friday, April 4, 2025

State hit with 16 COVID-related lawsuits since March

by

Sascha Wilson
1719 days ago
20200719
Attorney General Faris Al-Rawi

Attorney General Faris Al-Rawi

The state has been hit with 16 law­suits re­lat­ed to COVID-19 since the bor­ders were closed in March in an ef­fort to curb the spread of the virus. This was re­vealed by At­tor­ney Gen­er­al Faris Al-Rawi when asked whether the de­ci­sion to re­vert to a 10 pm clos­ing time for bars had any­thing to with the law­suit filed by more than 300 bar own­ers and op­er­a­tions and the Bar­keep­ers and Op­er­a­tors As­so­ci­a­tion of Trinidad and To­ba­go (BOATT).

In an in­ter­view at the Me­dine Street Hous­ing De­vel­op­ment dur­ing his walk­a­bout in the San Fer­nan­do West con­stituen­cy, Al-Rawi not­ed that the Pub­lic Health Reg­u­la­tions were re­vis­it­ed every two weeks. He said the de­ci­sion was tak­en be­cause of the med­ical ev­i­dence and more par­tic­u­lar­ly the Trinidad and To­ba­go Po­lice Ser­vice con­firmed that they were able to su­per­vise bars and the “oth­er Pub­lic Health Reg­u­la­tions im­pact fo­cus points in an ef­fec­tive way”.

“I be­lieve we are up to 16 law­suits now from Anand Ram­lo­gan and Ger­ald Ramdeen where they do­ing every­thing from try­ing to re­peal and strike out the reg­u­la­tions so that they can open the bor­ders, im­por­tant­ly, so that they can set free COVID pos­i­tive pa­tients and so that they can ba­si­cal­ly col­lapse Trinidad and To­ba­go.”

Anand Ramlogan

Anand Ramlogan

Con­demn­ing the ac­tions of the UNC, he said the par­ty’s at­tor­neys have lost all the mat­ters heard this far in the court.

“They are doomed to fail but I think it an at­tack on the peo­ple of Trinidad and To­ba­go to want to strike out the Pub­lic Health Reg­u­la­tions and to de­mand that the bor­ders be open. That is rep­re­hen­si­ble and that is the op­po­site course tak­ing us away from be­ing num­ber one in the world to prob­a­bly be­ing a dis­as­ter zone.”

Asked about the laws re­gard­ing the use of mu­sic trucks dur­ing cam­paigns, he said his fo­cus is on his cam­paign and the en­force­ment of the laws is for the Po­lice Ser­vice.

BOATT, which is be­ing rep­re­sent­ed by Ram­lo­gan, was grant­ed leave by Jus­tice Ava­son Quin­lan-Williams last Thurs­day to file for ju­di­cial re­view chal­leng­ing the then 8 pm clos­ing time.

The mat­ter will be heard to­day.

Dur­ing a press con­fer­ence on Sat­ur­day, Health Min­is­ter Ter­rence Deyals­ingh an­nounced the clos­ing time for bars had been ex­tend­ed from 8 pm to 10 pm.

Gerald Ramdeen

Gerald Ramdeen

How­ev­er, he again ap­pealed to pa­trons and bar op­er­a­tors to ex­er­cise re­spon­si­bil­i­ty and ob­serve the COVID-19 pro­to­cols and guide­lines.

Prime Min­is­ter Dr Kei­th Row­ley re­cent­ly told a me­dia con­fer­ence that around 10,000 na­tion­als have sought ex­emp­tions to come home and that even his daugh­ter in New York want­ed to re­turn, but wasn’t al­lowed or en­cour­aged to do so.

He not­ed, how­ev­er, that ex­emp­tions could in­crease ac­cord­ing to what sort of su­per­vised quar­an­tine peo­ple agree to have.

“There’s no de­lib­er­ate pol­i­cy to tram­ple on any­one’s rights. We’re try­ing to pro­tect every­one’s life, es­pe­cial­ly those with­in T&T’s bor­der,” he said.

The prime min­is­ter had added that ex­emp­tions for re­turns would be al­lowed on a man­aged ba­sis so hos­pi­tal ca­pac­i­ty wouldn’t be af­fect­ed by large num­bers en­ter­ing.

Of the 330,000 na­tion­als over­seas, he said 275,000 live in the US. But there is a cat­e­go­ry of ap­prox­i­mate­ly 10,000 who were “out­side” when bor­ders closed and may need ex­emp­tions.

The ma­jor­i­ty is from the US.

Gov­ern­ment has so far grant­ed ap­prox­i­mate­ly 4,600 ex­emp­tions.

COVID-19COVID-19 deaths


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored