JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Friday, April 4, 2025

T&TEC worker waiting over a week for COVID results

by

Renuka Singh
1776 days ago
20200525
OWTU vice-president Peter Burke.

OWTU vice-president Peter Burke.

Abraham-Diaz

A Trinidad and To­ba­go Elec­tric­i­ty Com­mis­sion (TTEC) em­ploy­ee who was sus­pect­ed of con­tract­ing COVID-19 and was test­ed a week ago is still await­ing his test re­sults.

How­ev­er, the em­ploy­ee may have pon­tential­ly ex­posed at four col­leagues to the virus. The sit­u­a­tion with the five em­ploy­ees, who are cur­rent­ly un­well and ex­hibit­ing flu-like symp­toms, is said to be caus­ing jit­ters among oth­er staff and the Oil­fields Work­ers’ Trade Union (OW­TU).

OW­TU vice-pres­i­dent Pe­ter Burke said on Sun­day that the em­ploy­ees are un­well and have been self-quar­an­ti­ning at their homes while two peo­ple from the group had so far been test­ed. The oth­er three are await­ing the out­come of those tests be­fore be­ing test­ed them­selves, he said.

“I don’t know why the Gov­ern­ment is be­ing so stingy with their test­ing,” Burke said in an in­ter­view.

He said the first work­er who com­plained of feel­ing un­well and was test­ed a week ago was still await­ing re­sults yes­ter­day.

“The com­pa­ny doc­tor gave him med­ica­tion and he has been quar­an­tined at home, tak­ing the meds and is start­ing to im­prove. At one point he was do­ing so bad­ly that he was hos­pi­talised,” Burke said.

But now with the med­ica­tion work­ing and the em­ploy­ee on the mend, Burke is won­der­ing why the state is tak­ing so long to pro­duce the man’s re­sults.

“Is it a case of wait­ing un­til he is bet­ter so we don’t know whether he had it or not?” Burke asked.

He said em­ploy­ee be­lieves he was first ex­posed when he re­port­ed to a sub-sta­tion in Port-of-Spain that need­ed emer­gency re­pairs. The same crew got called out again when there was an­oth­er trans­former is­sue days lat­er.

“He could have ex­posed the crew be­cause they are all un­well and we don’t know if they have it,” Burke said, claim­ing T&TEC has pro­vid­ed PPE gear but it was “sub-stan­dard”.

Burke said he did not think the com­pa­ny was do­ing enough to pro­tect work­ers dur­ing the pan­dem­ic. He said when the work­er got ill he was tend­ed to by the com­pa­ny doc­tor and sent home but not di­rect­ed to con­tact the Min­istry of Health or CMO’s of­fice.

“The com­pa­ny doc­tor calls him dai­ly to check on him but to date, no test re­sults, no con­tact trac­ing,” he said.

Guardian Me­dia yes­ter­day sent ques­tions about the is­sue to T&TEC’s gen­er­al man­ag­er Kelvin Ram­sook.

Guardian Me­dia lat­er re­ceived a mes­sage from T&TEC’s com­mu­ni­ca­tion man­ag­er, Annabelle Bras­nell, which read: “My in­for­ma­tion is that our com­pa­ny doc­tor has not been en­gaged.”

Bras­nell said the ques­tion about the de­layed re­sults should be di­rect­ed to the Min­istry of Health.

On whether the em­ploy­ee should re­turn to work when the quar­an­tine pe­ri­od ends even with­out a test re­sult, Bras­nell ad­vised, “The em­ploy­ee should con­tin­ue to li­aise with their man­ag­er/su­per­vi­sor on their pos­si­ble re­turn to work. T&TEC will con­tin­ue to be guid­ed by the MoH on COVID-19 re­lat­ed is­sues and I have no rea­son to doubt that the Min­istry would pro­vide the nec­es­sary guid­ance.”

Guardian Me­dia called Min­is­ter of Health Ter­rence Deyals­ingh but he asked to be texted in­stead and then did not re­spond when Guardian Me­dia com­plied.

Guardian Me­dia al­so con­tact­ed Chief Med­ical Of­fi­cer (CMO) Dr Roshan Paras­ram but he too did not com­ment.

COVID-19


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored