JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Friday, April 4, 2025

UNC Couva staffer’s husband COVID-positive

by

Gail Alexander
1707 days ago
20200731
UNC Couva North candidate Ravi Ratiram during a motorcade last Sunday. A member of the constituency’s staff and her co-workers are now under quarantine after her husband tested positive for COVID-19.

UNC Couva North candidate Ravi Ratiram during a motorcade last Sunday. A member of the constituency’s staff and her co-workers are now under quarantine after her husband tested positive for COVID-19.

A sec­re­tary from the Unit­ed Na­tion­al Con­gress’ Cou­va North MP’s of­fice and her fam­i­ly are among those test­ed for COVID-19. As such, the rest of the of­fice staff is now quar­an­tined and oth­er Cou­va North elec­tion cam­paign­ers who may have been along­side the woman are now on alert.

This was con­firmed by staffers and Cou­va North con­stituen­cy of­fi­cials yes­ter­day. The woman is a rel­a­tive of a Cen­tral Trinidad man who works with ANSA McAL—who re­cent­ly test­ed pos­i­tive.

UNC Cou­va North can­di­date Ravi Rati­ram yes­ter­day de­clined to de­ny or con­firm re­ports from UNC ac­tivists that the woman was part of re­cent Cou­va North cam­paign­ing, in­clud­ing last Sun­day’s events and mo­tor­cade. He said there was no “sec­re­tary” in his of­fice but there was one in the Cou­va North MP’s of­fice. Rati­ram said he was in a meet­ing and didn’t re­ply sub­se­quent­ly.

Cou­va North chair­man Or­lan­do Nages­sar con­firmed the woman is the sec­re­tary in the MP’s of­fice in Chase Vil­lage. He al­so con­firmed she’s a mem­ber of the Cou­va North ex­ec­u­tive, “But that ex­ec­u­tive hasn’t met since (Rati­ram) was se­lect­ed and he’s ap­point­ed a new cam­paign team.”

Nages­sar said he hadn’t spo­ken to the woman (but plans to) and couldn’t say if she’d in­formed the new can­di­date of her sit­u­a­tion.

Af­ter word of the sit­u­a­tion of­fi­cial­ly arose on Tues­day, Guardian Me­dia learned the Min­istry of Health test­ed the per­son. Pos­si­ble in­fec­tion is be­ing traced from Ju­ly 19-20. The per­son lives in a house with her two chil­dren, fa­ther and hus­band.

The woman’s last work­ing day at the of­fice was re­port­ed­ly to­wards the end of last week. UNC of­fi­cials said the woman did tell some col­leagues “up­front” that her hus­band was quar­an­tined for COVID and they told her to stay home.

The min­istry has or­dered that the en­tire eight-mem­ber staff of the MP’s Chase Vil­lage of­fice be quar­an­tined at home for 14 days. The min­istry con­tact­ed staffers to sani­tise the of­fice on Thurs­day but was re­ferred to the Par­lia­ment, which closed the of­fice on Tues­day.

How­ev­er, the of­fice clo­sure had been sched­uled from be­fore and had noth­ing to do with the sus­pect­ed COVID case. Par­lia­ment of­fi­cials have been mak­ing the rounds of T&T in the last two weeks—con­tin­u­ing yes­ter­day—clos­ing MP’s of­fices as the Au­gust 10 elec­tion to choose new MPs draws near­er.

Be­fore Par­lia­ment of­fi­cials ar­rived on Tues­day af­ter­noon, they were alert­ed that a staff mem­ber was quar­an­tined for COVID and to be­ware of pos­si­ble risk. Par­lia­ment of­fi­cials said they had to close the of­fice as per pro­to­col and went to do so equipped with masks.

Of­fi­cials said Cou­va North staff were not in the of­fice much in re­cent weeks and there had been lit­tle ac­tiv­i­ties since peo­ple were out cam­paign­ing. Out­go­ing MP Ra­mona Ram­di­al hasn’t been to the of­fice, as she’s been cam­paign­ing with the La Hor­quet­ta/Tal­paro can­di­date.

How­ev­er, some UNC ac­tivists have ex­pressed con­cern that they have to wait 14 days and can on­ly be test­ed if they show symp­toms. Col­leagues of the sec­re­tary are ea­ger­ly await­ing the end of their quar­an­tine, since they recog­nise they are sec­ondary and pri­ma­ry con­tacts of the per­son. They al­so ex­pressed con­cern about team sports af­ter they not­ed a Cen­tral res­i­dent they knew man­i­fest­ed symp­toms af­ter a re­cent all-fours tour­na­ment in Lopinot, where an­oth­er tour­na­ment play­er con­tract­ed the virus and is cur­rent­ly be­ing treat­ed for it.

Af­ter the up­surge in COVID cas­es—169 as of yes­ter­day morn­ing—UNC chair­man Pe­ter Kan­hai called for peo­ple to wear masks, but UNC feels wear­ing masks on vot­ing day shouldn’t be manda­to­ry. The PEP par­ty, how­ev­er, is ap­peal­ing for post­pone­ment of polls, not­ing al­most one mil­lion peo­ple could be out on vot­ing day.

UNCCOVID-19


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored