JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Thursday, April 3, 2025

US says no travel ban list exists

by

16 days ago
20250318

The Unit­ed States says there is no list of a draft trav­el ban af­ter some Caribbean Com­mu­ni­ty (CARI­COM) coun­tries had pub­licly called on Wash­ing­ton to con­firm or de­ny such list ex­ist­ed.

“Well, first of all, there is no list. What peo­ple are look­ing at over these last sev­er­al days is not a list that ex­ists here that is be­ing act­ed on. There is a re­view, as we know through the pres­i­dent’s ex­ec­u­tive or­der, for us to look at the na­ture of what’s gonna help keep Amer­i­ca safer when deal­ing with the is­sue of visas and who’s al­lowed in­to the coun­try,” said US De­part­ment of State spokesper­son, Tam­my Bruce.

“But what has been tout­ed as some­thing as an item through the State De­part­ment just sim­ply isn’t the case,” she added.

Over the last week­end, the New York Times news­pa­per re­port­ed that six Caribbean coun­tries, name­ly St. Lu­cia, An­tigua and Bar­bu­da, Do­mini­ca, St. Kitts-Nevis, Cu­ba, and Haiti, have been in­clud­ed in a pro­posed list of coun­tries fac­ing po­ten­tial trav­el re­stric­tions un­der the Trump ad­min­is­tra­tion.

Ac­cord­ing to news­pa­per, the pro­pos­al de­vel­oped by diplo­mat­ic and se­cu­ri­ty of­fi­cials cat­e­goris­es coun­tries in­to three lev­els of re­stric­tions: a “red” list of 11 na­tions whose cit­i­zens would be flat­ly barred from en­ter­ing the Unit­ed States, in­clud­ing Cu­ba and Venezuela; an “or­ange” list of 10 coun­tries, which in­cludes Haiti, for which trav­el would be re­strict­ed but not cut off; and a “yel­low” list of 22 na­tions, in­clud­ing the four East­ern Caribbean na­tions, which would be giv­en 60 days to clear up per­ceived de­fi­cien­cies, with the threat of be­ing moved to one of the oth­er lists if they did not com­ply.

An­tigua and Bar­bu­da for­mal­ly re­quest­ed clar­i­fi­ca­tion from the Unit­ed States and in a diplo­mat­ic note sent to the US State De­part­ment last Sat­ur­day, the An­tigua and Bar­bu­da Em­bassy in the US ex­pressed deep con­cern over the  March 15 ar­ti­cle in The New York Times.

“The Em­bassy ex­press­es its deep con­cern about these re­ports and re­spect­ful­ly re­quests clar­i­fi­ca­tion re­gard­ing whether the De­part­ment of State has, in fact, drawn up such a list nam­ing An­tigua and Bar­bu­da,” stat­ed the diplo­mat­ic note ob­tained by the Caribbean Me­dia Cor­po­ra­tion (CMC).

“The Gov­ern­ment of An­tigua and Bar­bu­da has re­ceived no pri­or no­tice from any branch of the US Gov­ern­ment re­gard­ing this mat­ter, and thus, would be grate­ful for any of­fi­cial in­for­ma­tion the De­part­ment of State can pro­vide,” it added.

The gov­ern­ments of the oth­er Caribbean coun­tries al­so ex­pressed sim­i­lar con­cerns with Cas­tries say­ing that it had re­ceived no of­fi­cial com­mu­ni­ca­tion from the US, while St Kitts and Nevis and Do­mini­ca said they were al­so seek­ing clar­i­fi­ca­tion.

Bas­seterre said that since Au­gust 2022, it has main­tained an open di­a­logue with the US gov­ern­ment, par­tic­u­lar­ly re­gard­ing re­forms to its Cit­i­zen­ship by In­vest­ment (CBI) pro­gramme, through which for­eign in­vestors re­ceive cit­i­zen­ship of the Twin Is­land Fed­er­a­tion in re­turn for mak­ing a sub­stan­tial in­vest­ment in the so­cio-eco­nom­ic de­vel­op­ment of the coun­try.

St. Lu­cia,  An­tigua and Bar­bu­da and Do­mini­ca al­so have a sim­i­lar CBI pro­gramme and the four coun­tries re­cent­ly an­nounced clos­er col­lab­o­ra­tion among them­selves and the Unit­ed States to en­sure the pro­gramme is not abused by crim­i­nals and oth­er un­de­sir­able in­vestors.

An­tigua and Bar­bu­da al­so in­di­cat­ed that all ap­pli­cants un­der­go rig­or­ous vet­ting by recog­nised in­ter­na­tion­al agen­cies, in­clud­ing IN­TER­POL, to en­sure that no one with a crim­i­nal back­ground or cur­rent charges, in­clud­ing ter­ror­ism, is con­sid­ered.

WASH­ING­TON, Mar 18, CMC

CMC/ah/ir/2026

 


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored