JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Friday, April 4, 2025

Small, medium enterprises loan programme starts

by

Sascha Wilson
1742 days ago
20200627
Minister of Finance Colm Imbert

Minister of Finance Colm Imbert

There is good news for small and medi­um en­ter­pris­es as the Gov­ern­ment’s $300 mil­lion loan guar­an­tee pro­gramme is ex­pect­ed to kick off this week.

Fi­nance Min­is­ter Colm Im­bert made the an­nounce­ment dur­ing Sat­ur­day’s Min­istry of Health vir­tu­al press con­fer­ence, not­ing the pa­per­work had been com­plet­ed and ad­ver­tise­ments will in the news­pa­pers this week. He said the pro­gramme will be man­aged by First Cit­i­zens and Re­pub­lic Bank but Roy­al Bank and Sco­tia­bank have al­so in­di­cat­ed their will­ing­ness to join the pro­gramme.

“I am told by FCB that they ex­pect to process the first loan by Thurs­day next week and that this is ex­pect­ed to move very swift­ly,” Im­bert said.

“The Gov­ern­ment is pay­ing all of the loans, which range, de­pend­ing on the size of the or­gan­i­sa­tion, from $75,000 up to $325,000 and these are in­tend­ed to as­sist with pay­roll ex­pens­es and oth­er op­er­a­tional ex­pens­es. The Gov­ern­ment will pay all of the in­ter­ests on these loans, so the loans are in­ter­est-free for small and medi­um en­ter­pris­es and the Gov­ern­ment’s al­so guar­an­tee­ing 75 per cent of the loan. So this is a very gen­er­ous loan pro­gramme and it is all in the con­text of try­ing to help the busi­ness peo­ple to keep peo­ple in jobs.”

The en­ter­pris­es will not have to make any pay­ments for the first two years, Im­bert said. How­ev­er, he not­ed that the pro­gramme is for en­ter­pris­es with an an­nu­al turnover of be­tween $1 mil­lion and $20 mil­lion. For those that make less than $1 mil­lion in sales a year, he said the Cab­i­net has ap­proved a $30 mil­lion grant pro­gramme which they are now fi­nal­is­ing with the Na­tion­al En­tre­pre­neur­ship De­vel­op­ment Com­pa­ny.

Im­bert said Gov­ern­ment had al­so made $100 mil­lion avail­able to cred­it unions. He said these in­sti­tu­tions will make loans avail­able to mem­bers at a max­i­mum of $5,000 per month for three months at very at­trac­tive rates with mora­to­ri­ums. To speed up the process, the cred­it unions will be us­ing their own finds.

“As the cred­it unions process the loans, they will ap­ply to the Min­istry of Fi­nance for re­im­burse­ment on a month­ly ba­sis, so that is in train and we ex­pect to re­ceive the first ap­pli­ca­tion from the cred­it unions short­ly.”

He said they are al­so mak­ing a fur­ther $100 mil­lion avail­able to cred­it unions for small busi­ness­es but the de­tails are still be­ing worked out. Im­bert said Ex­im Bank has al­so been pro­vid­ed with an ad­di­tion­al US$25 mil­lion for three months for the im­por­ta­tion of es­sen­tial foods, phar­ma­ceu­ti­cals, san­i­tary prod­ucts, per­son­al pro­tec­tive equip­ment and oth­er es­sen­tial sup­plies dur­ing the COVID-19 pan­dem­ic.

Giv­ing an up­date on so­cial re­lief and fi­nan­cial grants, he said as of June 24, 42,000 peo­ple had re­ceived salary re­lief grants for April and May while the So­cial De­vel­op­ment Min­istry has processed 29,000 in­come sup­port pay­ments. In ad­di­tion, he said food cards have been giv­en to 29, 399 new peo­ples at a cost of $45 mil­lion, ad­di­tion­al sup­port was giv­en to 25,000 ben­e­fi­cia­ries at a cost of $17.14 mil­lion, while 20,500 peo­ple who have chil­dren on the school feed­ing pro­gramme re­ceived food cards at a cost of $31.4 mil­lion. Rental as­sis­tance has al­so been pro­vid­ed to $1,133 fam­i­lies at a cost of $4.8 mil­lion.

COVID-19


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored