JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Thursday, April 3, 2025

Clico policyholders: Don't pay any former directors

by

20150605

Pe­ter Per­me­ll, chair­man of the Cli­co Pol­i­cy­hold­ers Group, said for­mer di­rec­tors of Cli­co should be paid on­ly when the re­sults of the Sir An­tho­ny Col­man Com­mis­sion of En­quiry have been re­viewed.

"We are call­ing on the Min­ster of Fi­nance to halt these pay­ments and for those who were paid to re­turn the mon­ey if they got paid and their names have not been cleared as yet. Those di­rec­tors would have had a fidu­cia­ry re­spon­si­bil­i­ty to the com­pa­ny and there­fore the col­lapse of Cli­co clear­ly shows that that fidu­cia­ry re­spon­si­bil­i­ty was not clear­ly car­ried out," he told the T&T Guardian.

"There are ques­tion marks over the heads of the di­rec­tors over the col­lapse. Un­less the Col­man Re­port comes back and says there are spe­cif­ic di­rec­tors they have is­sues with and there are oth­ers there are no prob­lems with, on­ly then should di­rec­tors con­sid­er them­selves cleared."

The en­quiry in­to Cli­co and the Hin­du Cred­it Union (HCU) be­gan in 2010 and last year Col­man pre­sent­ed the re­sults of the HCU en­quiry to Pres­i­dent An­tho­ny Car­mona. How­ev­er, the Cli­co part of the re­port is still be­ing worked on and has not yet been sub­mit­ted.

Ac­cord­ing to re­ports, more than $36.1 mil­lion has al­ready been paid out to for­mer Cli­co di­rec­tors. Those pay­ments were processed be­tween April 30 and June 2 and rep­re­sent half of what the ex di­rec­tors are en­ti­tled to. It was paid out at ac­crued rates rang­ing be­tween two to 12 per cent.

On Wednes­day, the Cli­co Pol­i­cy­hold­ers Group ex­pressed con­cern at re­ports that Fi­nance Min­is­ter Lar­ry Howai and the Gov­ern­ment ap­peared to be un­aware or un­cer­tain as to whether pay­ments had been made to the for­mer Cli­co di­rec­tors.

The Cen­tral Bank has said that Lawrence Duprey, for­mer CEO of the CL fi­nan­cial Group, for­mer group fi­nan­cial di­rec­tor An­dre Mon­teil and Gi­ta Sakal, for­mer cor­po­rate sec­re­tary will not be paid un­der the terms of the 2015 Cli­co Res­o­lu­tion Plan un­til civ­il mat­ters filed against them are com­plet­ed.

Per­me­ll said oth­er Cli­co di­rec­tors should not be tak­ing any mon­ey un­til the en­tire mat­ter is cleared up.

"In the same way I am ask­ing the Cen­tral Bank not to pay, I am ask­ing the di­rec­tors not to col­lect. It works both ways," he said.


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored