As the Government moves forward with its police post initiative, the latest element of its strategy to address Trinidad and Tobago's enduring crime problem, important questions remain about how the programme will operate and whether it can deliver sustainable results.
Since taking office following the April 28, 2025 general election, the United National Congress has relied heavily on States of Emergency (SoEs), beginning with the first declaration on July 18, 2025. Given these extraordinary measures, citizens are entitled to ask whether the latest approach will accomplish what previous initiatives have not.
Recent comments by US Ambassador-designate Jennifer Johnson-Carroll on the continued use of SoEs suggest that concerns about crime and security in Trinidad and Tobago extend beyond our borders.
Public scepticism is also rooted in unresolved questions surrounding the existing security strategy. Citizens were told that restrictions on civil liberties were necessary because of a serious threat posed by criminal elements to State officials. Yet many of those detained under Preventive Detention Orders have not faced significant criminal charges.
As the Government, supported by the Trinidad and Tobago Police Service and the Defence Force, advances another phase of its crime-fighting plan, citizens deserve greater transparency, particularly with the current SoE scheduled to end next month.
This is especially important because police posts and joint police-military patrols are not new concepts. Similar measures have been implemented in the past with varying degrees of success. While some communities benefited from temporary reductions in criminal activity, few would argue that such interventions produced lasting change.
Crime fighting has consumed significant public resources for decades, often without commensurate results. The Government therefore has a responsibility to explain why this initiative merits additional investment, particularly at a time of fiscal restraint and competing national priorities.
The murder toll currently stands at 231, lower than at the same period last year. While this decline is encouraging and some policing divisions report reduced criminal activity, public fear remains high. Crime levels continue to be troubling and reflect longstanding weaknesses in national security management.
These realities make transparency essential. Citizens should be told how the police posts will be staffed and operated. How many police officers and soldiers will be assigned to the facilities? Given ongoing manpower challenges, where will these personnel be sourced? What vehicles, equipment and logistical resources will be required? How much will be spent on operating the facilities around the clock, as indicated by Homeland Security Minister Roger Alexander?
Equally important are questions of accountability. The public has not been adequately informed about the procurement process. Was the project competitively tendered? What criteria were used to award contracts? Who were the successful bidders? What is the total cost to taxpayers?
These are not unreasonable questions. They are matters of public interest and public accountability.
The Government should move quickly to address them. Before the project is fully implemented, citizens deserve a clear explanation of its objectives, costs, operational framework and expected outcomes.
