GEISHA KOWLESSAR ALONZO
bpTT has moved to pause its Kanikonna project—a planned subsea natural gas development project located off the southeast coast of T&T—as it sharpens its focus on advancing the sanctioned Manakin-Cocuina cross-border gas development, a decision that underscores both capital discipline and the urgency of boosting gas supply in the Columbus Basin.
In August 2025, resource centre OilNow stated that several major fields remain in the final investment decision (FID) queue, including Woodside/bp’s Calypso, Perenco’s Onyx, and bpTT’s Kanikonna.
These projects, once sanctioned, would be critical in shoring up future gas supplies.
The Manakin-Cocuina field is a significant natural gas resource that straddles the maritime boundary between T&T and Venezuela, located approximately 68 miles off Trinidad’s southeast coast
bpTT confirmed to the Sunday Business Guardian that the move to pause Kanikonna forms part of an ongoing review of its portfolio as it seeks to maximise production while remaining within its 2026 budget.
In clarifying its position, bpTT emphasised that its core development pipeline of projects remains intact.
“bp Trinidad and Tobago (bpTT) can confirm that we have been assessing various options in our portfolio as we work toward maximising production from the Columbus Basin.
“Following the issuance of the OFAC General Licence 50A this year, we have brought the Manakin-Cocuina Trinidad/Venezuela cross border option back into our 2026 plan. Our teams are moving forward with plans to progress this project given the value it can unlock both for Trinidad and Tobago and for bp.
“Kanikonna is another one of the project options in our portfolio that was being considered. Through our investment governance process, we have taken the decision to pause Kanikonna and prioritize Manakin/Cocuina which allows us to stay within our 2026 budget,” bpTT said in its response when asked to clarify whether Kanikonna had been cancelled.
The strategic shift comes amid renewed momentum for the Manakin-Cocuina field, which straddles the maritime boundary between T&T and Venezuela.
The project has been reintroduced into bpTT’s 2026 plans following the issuance earlier this year of the United States Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) General Licence 50A, which allows certain energy activities involving Venezuela under defined conditions.
Within industry circles, the prioritisation of Manakin-Cocuina has been widely viewed as a pragmatic move, particularly given the project’s sanctioned status and its potential for faster delivery of gas volumes.
Energy expert Gregory McGuire dismissed concerns about the shelving of Kanikonna, noting that the project had never reached the level of formal approval required to be considered part of the company’s committed pipeline.
“Why does this question even arise. Kanikonna was never a sanctioned project and should not, and as far as I’m aware, was not in the projections from available sources. Therefore I cannot see why that must now form the basis of any discussion,” he said.
Instead, McGuire argued that bpTT’s decision reflects a logical prioritisation of resources.
“I think it is obvious why Manakin Cocina is being prioritised because the project is already sanctioned and represents one of the quickest paths to boost gas supply,” McGuire explained.
That urgency is closely tied to the needs of T&T’s downstream energy sector, particularly Atlantic LNG, where both bp and Shell each hold a 45 per cent stake.
“ We must always bear in mind that both BP and Shell hold 45 per cent each of Atlantic. Therefore they have a vested interest in proving up new gas to keep the plants running,” he said.
Despite this, McGuire cautioned against overconfidence in the ability of new projects to fully address domestic gas constraints.
“Whether their new developments will have sufficient gas for NGC and our petchems is a question that can only be answered in time. There is some optimism in the market that there will be but I think we need to wait before crowing.
“We need to have the confirmed numbers for reserves and flow rates before any realistic projections can be made. That will be 15 to 18 months away.” he added.
The company’s announcement has triggered a range of follow-up questions from the Sunday Business Guardian seeking deeper insight into the implications of pausing Kanikonna and advancing Manakin-Cocuina.
Central among these are issues related to capital allocation. Queries have been raised about what portion of bpTT’s 2026 budget had initially been earmarked for Kanikonna, and whether that funding is now being redirected toward the cross border project.
Closely linked are questions about comparative project economics including seeking clarity on whether Manakin-Cocuina requires lower initial capital expenditure than Kanikonna or whether its advantage lies primarily in a faster timeline to first gas—an increasingly critical factor in T&T’s supply constrained environment.
Uncertainty also surrounds the future of the Kanikonna project itself. Questions have been posed about how long the pause is expected to last and whether there is a risk the project could be shelved entirely if Manakin-Cocuina demands greater resources.
There is also interest in understanding how far Kanikonna had progressed technically, including what seismic, drilling or engineering work may already have been completed prior to the decision.
Regulatory risk has emerged as another focal point.
While OFAC General Licence 50A has reopened the pathway for Manakin-Cocuina, stakeholders are questioning how bpTT plans to manage the volatility historically associated with US sanctions policy.
Clarification has also been sought on whether the current licence extends across the full life of the project or would require renewal to sustain development through to commercial production.
Further attention has been directed at the anticipated value and timeline of Manakin-Cocuina.
Questions have been raised about how the project would contribute to bpTT’s production levels in the Columbus Basin over the next three to five years, and when key milestones—such as a Final Investment Decision and first gas—are expected.
Beyond project delivery, the economic implications of pausing Kanikonna are also under scrutiny.
Further questions also sought to seek estimates of the local content value associated with the project, including employment opportunities, contracts for local firms and broader supply chain activity that may now be delayed or forgone.
Additionally, the pause has raised broader questions about domestic gas security.
Questions regarding fiscal considerations were also raised, seeking to examine how revenue streams from a domestic project like Kanikonna—through royalties and petroleum profits tax—might compare with those from a shared development such as Manakin-Cocuina.
In response, bpTT said it “will share more details when we are in a position to do so” as it stressed, “There has been no change to bpTT’s sanctioned projects and we continue to progress these as planned. Kanikonna is not a sanctioned project and was one of our project options being considered.”
Efforts to reach Energy Minister Roodal Moonilal were unsuccessful as as he did not respond.
Young Comments on bpTT project reprogramming
Former energy minister Stuart Young, when contacted on the issue, noted that bpTT is a very strategic company and always plots its gas production schedule years in advance to hold a consistent production pattern.
He noted the decision to reprogramme Kanikonna for Manakin-Cocuina is very layered and indicative of much more than appears on the surface.
However, he said, “I hope that it is not based on the irresponsible and misguided management of our energy sector by the Kamla Persad Bissessar government and concerns of bpTT regarding the management of the gas sector for the next few years until there is a change in administration.”
Young said he was aware that stakeholders in the gas sector are very “dissatisfied with the current administration and in particular the behaviour of the incompetent NGC chairman and the board.”
