JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Friday, April 4, 2025

2024 starts with murders in Tobago and Belmont

by

458 days ago
20240102

Se­nior Re­porter

ot­to.car­ring­ton@guardian.co.tt

The coun­try’s first mur­ders for 2024 were record­ed in Bel­mont and To­ba­go.

The first oc­curred in St Barb’s, Bel­mont, around 8 am and the vic­tim was Wa­ter and Sew­er­age Au­thor­i­ty (WASA) em­ploy­ee Adunde “Stems” Tele­maque, 41.

Res­i­dents told po­lice they heard a se­ries of loud ex­plo­sions and saw three masked men armed with firearms run­ning along the road­way. The men dis­ap­peared in­to a near­by track.

They lat­er found the body of a man ly­ing in a pool of blood and alert­ed the po­lice. Of­fi­cers from the Port-of-Spain Di­vi­sion and the Homi­cide Bu­reau re­spond­ed.

Po­lice said Tele­maque sur­vived an­oth­er shoot­ing in­ci­dent some months ago.

In­ves­ti­ga­tions in­to his mur­der are be­ing led by of­fi­cers from the Homi­cide Bu­reau Re­gion One.

When Guardian Me­dia vis­it­ed St Barb’s yes­ter­day, res­i­dents ex­pressed con­cern about in­creased crime in the area in re­cent months and blamed the up­surge on gang ac­tiv­i­ty.

In the oth­er in­ci­dent, 27-year-old Ka­reem Small was fa­tal­ly shot at a park in Pa­tience Hill, Scar­bor­ough.

Po­lice said Small was with an­oth­er man, iden­ti­fied as Keron No­ray, 27, when res­i­dents re­port­ed hear­ing loud ex­plo­sions. When they went to the scene, they found Small ly­ing mo­tion­less and No­ray with gun­shot wounds.

As­sem­bly­man Nigel Taitt, who vis­it­ed the scene, said he knew the vic­tim but didn’t know him to be in­volved in crim­i­nal ac­tiv­i­ty.

“I’m sad, I’m hurt. I know the vic­tim quite well,” Taitt told re­porters.

“He come like my own child so I am feel­ing it. He’s a very ac­tive per­son. I don’t know him to be in crim­i­nal ac­tiv­i­ty what­so­ev­er.”

He ap­pealed to cit­i­zens to put down the guns.

“Let us stop it please, please, I am beg­ging, both Trinidad and To­ba­go. Let’s put down the guns. We are not get­ting any­where with the guns,” he said.

Taitt al­so not­ed that there had been com­ments on so­cial me­dia blam­ing Chief Sec­re­tary Far­ley Au­gus­tine for the in­crease in mur­ders on the is­land. To­ba­go end­ed 2023 with 15 mur­ders.

“How can you blame the Chief Sec­re­tary for some­thing like this?” he asked.

“This has noth­ing to do with pol­i­tics. This is about the youths be­ing mis­guid­ed by the mu­sic, by so­cial me­dia. How the Chief Sec­re­tary name could call in this? What we have to do is re­port the per­sons who are il­le­gal­ly car­ry­ing firearms and in­volved in crim­i­nal ac­tiv­i­ties.”


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored