JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Friday, April 4, 2025

63 tested in new COVID surveillance plan negative

by

Chester Sambrano
1808 days ago
20200423
Minister of Health Terrence Deyalsingh.

Minister of Health Terrence Deyalsingh.

SHIRLEY BAHADUR

Even as calls in­crease for more lo­cal test­ing to be done to get a bet­ter idea of the state of the COVID-19’s spread across the coun­try, Health Min­is­ter Ter­rence Deyals­ingh says some 63 sur­veil­lance tests done for the virus have re­turned neg­a­tive.

Two weeks ago, Deyals­ingh had an­nounced that one health cen­tre in each coun­ty would be se­lect­ed and any­one show­ing symp­toms (cough­ing, sneez­ing, fever) would be test­ed in a plan to ramp up test­ing.

Speak­ing at yes­ter­day’s vir­tu­al me­dia brief­ing, Deyals­ingh said, “What is re­al­ly a sig­nif­i­cant de­vel­op­ment are the 63 sur­veil­lance tests that we have done since last week Tues­day to now, all neg­a­tive.”

At the time of the brief­ing, it was al­so re­vealed that 37 peo­ple had been dis­charged to date, with nine of them be­ing sent home on Tues­day. But the evening up­date, a to­tal of 1449 sam­ples had been test­ed and 115 had been pos­i­tive. The death toll re­mains at eight.

Deyals­ingh al­so said there was one sus­pect­ed child case be­ing housed at the Princess Eliz­a­beth Cen­tre.

Ad­dress­ing the is­sue of pos­si­ble com­mu­ni­ty spread, Deyals­ingh re­it­er­at­ed that it is still too ear­ly to say. He ex­plained that it will on­ly be de­ter­mined by sci­ence and in­for­ma­tion from con­tact trac­ing.

As it re­lates to the reg­u­la­tions cur­rent­ly in place to pre­vent the spread of the virus, he said as we get clos­er to April 30 the CMO will be in­form­ing the Gov­ern­ment on how we have con­duct­ed our­selves as a na­tion un­der the mea­sures.

“I would like the Chief Med­ical Of­fi­cer to give us a pass­ing grade,” he said.

He ad­mit­ted there were fail­ures and gave the ex­am­ple of COVID-19 par­ties, but, ex­pressed the hope that the coun­try could get a “B plus” for its ad­her­ence to the reg­u­la­tions.

COVID-19


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored