Akash Samaroo
Lead Editor-Politics
akash.samaroo@cnc3.co.tt
The Ministry of Homeland Security has secured an early shipment of 8,000 passport booklets, providing some relief to what sources at the Immigration Division have described as a dangerously depleted national stock.
However, Guardian Media has been informed that while the new supply will help replenish the dwindling inventory, delays in passport issuance will persist, with a significant backlog and some applicants now waiting as long as ten weeks.
Guardian Media understands the 8,000 machine-readable passport booklets, supplied by the Canada Bank Note Company, the country’s usual supplier of passport booklets, arrived ahead of schedule, having initially been expected during the first week of September.
Another 40,000 booklets are expected to arrive between September 30 and October 7, completing the approximately 48,000 additional passports the Ministry previously announced were being sourced.
The early arrival comes at a significant time because Immigration Division officials have been carefully managing the country’s remaining passport stock for several weeks, slowing the rate of issuance to prevent supplies from being exhausted before additional booklets arrived.
Sources at the Division told Guardian Media the new booklets represent roughly one month’s normal supply, while the stock already on hand amounts to slightly more than another month’s supply.
With the additional shipment now available and another 40,000 booklets expected within weeks, officials believe there should be enough stock to carry the Division through the end of October and possibly into mid-November.
But the improved inventory position will not immediately translate into a return to normal passport processing times.
Guardian Media understands that the slowdown in issuance remains in effect because of the size of the backlog accumulated while officials were attempting to conserve the critically low stock.
There is, however, concern within the Immigration Division that production now needs to be increased, particularly to deal with applicants whose documents have been pending for more than two months.
Sources said some citizens have now been waiting approximately ten weeks for their passports, a situation described as unprecedented in recent years and unfair to applicants who have been caught in the backlog.
The latest development follows months of concerns surrounding the country’s passport inventory.
On July 29, Guardian Media reported that the slow issuance of passports was continuing as immigration officials attempted to stretch the remaining stock until the expected September shipment. At the time, the inventory was understood to have reached a critically low level, with concerns that processing applications at the normal rate could quickly exhaust the available booklets.
That followed an earlier Guardian Media report raising concerns about dwindling supplies and increased wait times for citizens seeking new or renewed passports.
The Ministry of Homeland Security subsequently sought to reassure the public, maintaining that Trinidad and Tobago was not running out of machine-readable passports and that citizens could continue to apply for and receive the documents.
In July, the Ministry disclosed that 50,000 machine-readable passport booklets had been received in October 2025, followed by another 12,000 in June this year.
It also said the Immigration Division issues fewer than 6,000 passports per month on average and announced that approximately 48,000 additional booklets were expected in September.
However, despite repeated questions from Guardian Media, the Ministry did not disclose exactly how many unused passport booklets remained in stock.
The Ministry had maintained that the additional shipments would provide sufficient inventory to maintain passport services while Trinidad and Tobago transitions to a new electronic passport system.
But information obtained by Guardian Media indicated that the immediate problem was the amount of stock available to bridge the gap until those additional supplies arrived, forcing immigration officials to regulate the pace at which passports were produced.
The arrival of the first 8,000 booklets now eases some of that pressure.
However, the backlog created during the period of restricted issuance means the effects of the shortage are likely to continue being felt by applicants even as the country’s physical stock of passport booklets improves.
The challenge now facing the Immigration Division is balancing the need to increase production and clear applications that have been outstanding for several weeks against the need to ensure the newly arrived stock is not exhausted before the much larger shipment lands between September 30 and October 7.
Meanwhile, the Government is continuing work on its transition to an e-Passport system.
The Ministry previously said an Expression of Interest process had been completed and submissions were being evaluated.
The proposed system is expected to introduce passports with embedded electronic chips and biometric technology, along with enhanced security features and Trinidad and Tobago’s updated Coat of Arms.
