JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Thursday, April 3, 2025

A year of bloodshed

Killers keep police busy with record-setting year

by

Anna-Lisa Paul
87 days ago
20250106

Se­nior Re­porter

an­na-lisa.paul@guardian.co.tt

The past year has seen new records be­ing set as T&T record­ed its high­est-ever mur­der toll at 624 and with the pub­lic clam­our­ing for the au­thor­i­ties to take back the coun­try from crim­i­nal el­e­ments – a State of Emer­gency (SoE) was an­nounced on De­cem­ber 30, in the hope it would bring a sting­ing halt to this grim pe­ri­od.

While the cit­i­zen­ry waits with bat­ed breath to see the ef­fects of the SoE, Po­lice Com­mis­sion­er Er­la Hare­wood-Christo­pher has as­sured the T&T Po­lice Ser­vice (TTPS) will con­tin­ue its valiant and ro­bust ef­forts to com­bat the crim­i­nal el­e­ments.

In a re­lease on Jan­u­ary 1, she said the seizure of il­le­gal arms and am­mu­ni­tion and the dis­man­tling of the crim­i­nal gangs re­main their most ur­gent task.

Look­ing back at 2024, which saw blood be­ing spilled in places pre­vi­ous­ly con­sid­ered off-lim­its, such as hos­pi­tals, and with guns as the favoured weapon of choice – over 40 women and ten chil­dren were slaugh­tered in heinous cir­cum­stances that brought the na­tion to its knees.

Au­thor­i­ties record­ed a surge in mass shoot­ings, which in­clud­ed 33 dou­ble homi­cides; eight triple homi­cides; four quadru­ple homi­cides; and two quin­tu­ple homi­cides.

Au­gust was the blood­i­est month of the year, hav­ing record­ed 68 killings in that pe­ri­od.

While both killings and kid­nap­pings led to tears and prayers, some in­ci­dents and grue­some dis­cov­er­ies rocked the pub­lic.

Among the in­ci­dents that stood out was the dis­cov­ery of Han­nah Mathu­ra’s skele­tal re­mains in a shal­low grave on March 12 at the fam­i­ly’s Bu­tu Road, South Val­sayn home.

The re­mains of Han­nah, 18, who was nev­er re­port­ed miss­ing, were said to have been buried in a shal­low grave be­hind the fam­i­ly home in 2017.

The po­lice were tipped off by a male rel­a­tive, who showed them the lo­ca­tion of the grave. An ex­ca­va­tor was used to dig up the body.

Han­nah’s par­ents, An­drew and Alana, were sub­se­quent­ly charged with her mur­der.

Alana died whilst in the care of prison au­thor­i­ties on No­vem­ber 1 while An­drew re­mains in­car­cer­at­ed.

Al­so in March, in­ves­ti­ga­tors were forced to comb through a hu­man grave­yard of bones dis­cov­ered at Dog Is­land, which bor­ders the swampy area off Pro­duc­tion Dri­ve, Sea Lots.

Act­ing on in­for­ma­tion, law­men wad­ed through the marsh to find the macabre scene where hu­man bones had been strewn across the man­grove; along with the re­mains of a body hang­ing from a tree, with what ap­peared to be a hu­man skull with bul­let holes in it.

And even as the coun­try strug­gled to ac­cept what was be­ing un­earthed in the Mathu­ra mur­der, their grief and out­rage es­ca­lat­ed with the bru­tal be­head­ing of four-year-old Ama­rah Lalitte on April 8.

Lalitte was beat­en and then de­cap­i­tat­ed by a male rel­a­tive af­ter an al­leged ar­gu­ment he had with her moth­er at their home at Fifth Street, Arou­ca.

This, even as ex­tor­tion de­mands spiked and busi­ness own­ers were run­ning scared. Kid­nap­pings for ran­som in­creased to six be­tween Jan­u­ary and Oc­to­ber 2024, com­pared to three for the com­par­a­tive pe­ri­od the year be­fore.

The most talked about was that of Fe­lic­i­ty res­i­dent Ko­mal Ma­haraj, who was re­port­ed­ly tak­en af­ter he went to an ATM at Price Plaza, Ch­agua­nas, at 2 pm on Ju­ly 19.

Al­most two weeks af­ter he went miss­ing, the 40-year-old was re­unit­ed with his fam­i­ly af­ter an undis­closed ran­som was al­leged­ly paid.

Ma­haraj claimed to have been tak­en to Venezuela and was re­leased in the sea off the south west­ern coast of Trinidad.

The kid­nap­ping of busi­ness­woman An­isha Ho­sein on May 18, as she was set­ting up her dou­bles stand with her hus­band in El Do­ra­do, Tu­na­puna, brought many to their knees, as the na­tion prayed for her safe re­lease.

Af­ter an undis­closed ran­som was re­port­ed­ly paid by rel­a­tives for her safe re­turn, Ho­sein, 27, was re­leased un­harmed on May 23 in the Ca­roni area.

Car­ry­ing out ex­ten­sive ex­er­cis­es based on in­for­ma­tion, of­fi­cers lat­er en­gaged in a fire­fight as they con­front­ed four sus­pects at a house at St John’s Road, St Au­gus­tine – re­sult­ing in the four dy­ing.

The dead men were iden­ti­fied as Christo­pher Nor­ie­ga, of Five Rivers, Arou­ca; Tevon May­nard, of Kel­ly Vil­lage, Ca­roni; Akeem “Scheme” Pun­nette, and Joshua “Boun­ty” Allen, of Kel­ly Vil­lage.

Po­lice claimed the men were mem­bers of the Re­sis­tance gang.

As in­ci­dents of de­mand­ing mon­ey by men­ace in­creased, this spawned the es­tab­lish­ment of the Ex­tor­tion Task Force head­ed by As­sis­tant Com­mis­sion­er of Po­lice (ACP) Richard Smith.

Al­so in May, the coun­try was left won­der­ing who re­al­ly ran things af­ter a se­ries of il­le­gal­ly in­stalled CCTV cam­eras were dis­cov­ered through­out the North Cen­tral Di­vi­sion (NCD), which were re­port­ed­ly be­ing used by gangs to spy on the po­lice at var­i­ous sta­tions along the East-West cor­ri­dor.

As­ton­ished law en­force­ment agents rushed to dis­man­tle the ex­ten­sive net­work of cam­eras and wire­less routers, which were said to be worth hun­dreds of thou­sands of dol­lars, that had been set up on util­i­ty poles in the di­vi­sions by crim­i­nals.

And even as this was be­ing ad­dressed, Prime Min­is­ter Dr Kei­th Row­ley ad­mit­ted the Gov­ern­ment had been blind-sided by de­vel­op­ments at the Strate­gic Ser­vices Agency (SSA).

Af­ter in­for­ma­tion sur­faced that the coun­try’s top se­cu­ri­ty agency had al­leged­ly been com­pro­mised with the es­tab­lish­ment of a mil­i­tarised op­er­a­tional unit and had been in­fil­trat­ed by a re­li­gious “cult” that want­ed to re­place the “coun­try’s po­lit­i­cal lead­er­ship,” Row­ley, as head of the Na­tion­al Se­cu­ri­ty Coun­cil, act­ed quick­ly and de­ci­sive­ly to con­tain and quash any mutiny.

Trou­bling is­sues force SSA shake-up

Brig Gen An­tho­ny Phillips-Spencer was re­called from his post as Am­bas­sador to the US to lead the au­dit in­to the SSA, which even­tu­al­ly saw for­mer di­rec­tor Ma­jor Roger Best be­ing sent on ad­min­is­tra­tive leave in ear­ly March.

He was lat­er ar­rest­ed on May 16, along with pas­tor Ian Brown, a for­mer spe­cial re­serve of­fi­cer as­signed to the SSA, along with for­mer se­cu­ri­ty su­per­vi­sor Portell Grif­fith and Sgt Sher­win Wal­dron, for­mer­ly as­signed to the Spe­cial Op­er­a­tions Re­sponse Team.

The group was ar­rest­ed af­ter a two-and-a-half-month-long in­ves­ti­ga­tion in­to a wide range of al­le­ga­tions against SSA agents and was ques­tioned on the trans­fer of the weapons from the po­lice to the SSA.

On the heels of this breach of na­tion­al se­cu­ri­ty, Cana­di­an blog­ger and pop­u­lar YouTu­ber Christo­pher Hugh­es, who is known as Chris Must List, was ar­rest­ed by po­lice of­fi­cers of the Spe­cial In­ves­ti­ga­tions Unit (SIU) in May, af­ter be­ing in­formed he could face pos­si­ble charges un­der the An­ti-Gang Act and Im­mi­gra­tion Act.

The 45-year-old was charged with mak­ing a sedi­tious pub­li­ca­tion and plead­ed not guilty to the of­fence last Sep­tem­ber.

With his mat­ter set to go to tri­al lat­er this month, Hugh­es, who is out on $100,000 bail, could face a $3,000 fine or two years im­pris­on­ment if found guilty.

Through­out the year, as the mur­der rate in­creased, re­ports of home in­va­sions in­creased, and kid­nap­pings be­came more pro­nounced than in pre­vi­ous years. Calls were made by the Op­po­si­tion and oth­ers for Na­tion­al Se­cu­ri­ty Fitzger­ald Hinds to be re­lieved of his port­fo­lio. In­stead, Prime Min­is­ter Dr Kei­th Row­ley an­nounced in late Ju­ly that MP for Port of Spain South, Kei­th Scot­land, had been ap­point­ed Min­is­ter in the Min­istry of Na­tion­al Se­cu­ri­ty with re­spon­si­bil­i­ty for the T&T Po­lice Ser­vice.

Re­ports of ex­tor­tion, es­pe­cial­ly against busi­ness­peo­ple, al­so in­creased, lead­ing to the es­tab­lish­ment of an Ex­tor­tion Task Force head­ed by As­sis­tant Com­mis­sion­er of Po­lice Richard Smith.

Among the con­cerns the TTPS ex­ec­u­tive would have to ad­dress al­most im­me­di­ate­ly was the in­crease in the num­ber of re­ports of per­sons dressed in po­lice tac­ti­cal wear who were re­port­ed­ly en­gaged in kid­nap­pings, home in­va­sions and shoot­ings.

This led to CoP Hare­wood-Christo­pher in­struct­ing po­lice of­fi­cers to re­turn their tac­ti­cal gear in or­der to re­turn to the tra­di­tion­al pa­trol or­der III uni­forms (grey and blue) in Oc­to­ber.

In a mem­o­ran­dum de­clar­ing the or­der, Hare­wood-Christo­pher ex­empt­ed on­ly the Guard and Emer­gency Branch, In­ter-Agency Task Force, Na­tion­al Op­er­a­tions Task Force and the Mul­ti-Op­er­a­tional Po­lice Sec­tion from this process.

Al­though many com­plained of do­ing so un­der duress, they braved the sun and rain to com­ply.

Oc­to­ber was par­tic­u­lar­ly bloody, af­ter record­ing two heinous mur­der in­ci­dents in which moth­ers and their young chil­dren were killed as a re­sult of do­mes­tic vi­o­lence.

In the first in­ci­dent on Oc­to­ber 8, Tara Ram­sa­roop and her 14-month-old daugh­ter Ja­da Moti­lal were killed by a male rel­a­tive at their home in Bar­rack­pore.

This fol­lowed six years of abuse and nu­mer­ous pro­tec­tion or­ders be­ing ig­nored.

And as cit­i­zens re­mained aghast, they were again con­front­ed with a sim­i­lar sit­u­a­tion fol­low­ing the killing of Lau­ra Sankar, 34, a maxi-taxi dri­ver, at her Post Of­fice Trace, Princes Town home.

The moth­er of two was chopped to death by a male rel­a­tive, even as her teenage son at­tempt­ed to in­ter­vene.

He was lat­er forced to flee with his younger sib­ling to seek help for Sankar, who was lat­er found hacked to death.

Over in the sis­ter isle, the qui­et and easy-go­ing na­ture of res­i­dents be­came dis­rupt­ed as a record 26 mur­ders were record­ed in 2024.

Gang war­fare forces Govt to call SoE

De­cem­ber was an­oth­er month of blood­shed with two par­tic­u­lar in­ci­dents, lead­ing the TTPS to pro­vide the Gov­ern­ment with in­for­ma­tion which would lead it to trig­ger the SoE.

In the first in­ci­dent on De­cem­ber 28, Trevor Williams, 31, of Clifton Tow­ers, East Dry Riv­er, Port-of-Spain, was gunned down out­side the Besson Street Po­lice Sta­tion.

Po­lice said Williams and sev­er­al oth­er men had ac­com­pa­nied Calvin Lee, aka “Tyson” or “Dan 6,” to the sta­tion so that he could sign the bail book. Lee had been charged with firearm-re­lat­ed of­fences and was al­so ques­tioned in re­la­tion to ex­tor­tion and shoot­ing of­fences pre­vi­ous­ly and had to re­port to the sta­tion as part of his bail con­di­tions.

Po­lice said when Lee, Williams and the oth­er men were leav­ing the sta­tion at 3 pm, men armed with high-pow­ered ri­fles who were wait­ing in a parked pan­el van op­po­site the sta­tion, got out and am­bushed the group. Williams was shot sev­er­al times but Lee man­aged to es­cape.

The fol­low­ing day, five men were gunned down in Priz­gar Lands, Laven­tille.

They were iden­ti­fied as Cleon Lu­g­in, 37, Der­ron Cal­liste, 35, Kam­bon Omowale, 39, Garet Smart, and Ryan Lessey, 24. Lessey, Cal­liste, Lu­g­in and Omowale were from Priz­gar Lands, while Smart was from Thoma­sine Street. Ac­cord­ing to po­lice re­ports, at 8.30 pm, a group of men were lim­ing near the St John Shop along Priz­gar Lands Cir­cu­lar, when a blue Hyundai Elantra and a white Nis­san AD Wag­on pulled up.

A group of gun­men got out of the ve­hi­cles and opened fire on the lim­ing group. Six peo­ple were hit but one sur­vived.

Po­lice linked this at­tack to the killing of Trevor Williams out­side of the Besson Street Po­lice Sta­tion.

Act­ing At­tor­ney Gen­er­al Stu­art Young an­nounced the SoE on De­cem­ber 30, say­ing that Prime Min­is­ter Row­ley, as head of the Na­tion­al Se­cu­ri­ty Coun­cil, had been giv­en in­tel­li­gence by the TTPS which sug­gest­ed that gangs were gear­ing up for a se­ries of reprisal at­tacks and planned to use high-pow­ered weapons to do so. He said the threat to pub­lic safe­ty from such a fall­out was what ul­ti­mate­ly forced the Gov­ern­ment to trig­ger the SoE.

De­spite this, the year end­ed with an­oth­er bru­tal killing.

In what was the last act by the killers for the year, state pros­e­cu­tor Ran­dall Hec­tor, 43, was gunned down as he left church with his wife and two chil­dren. Hec­tor had ear­li­er de­liv­ered the ser­mon at the Sev­enth-day Ad­ven­tist (SDA) Church, Stan­more Av­enue, Queen’s Park West, Port of Spain.

Hec­tor, who con­duct­ed spe­cial pros­e­cu­tions for the State and was a for­mer Se­cu­ri­ty Ser­vices Agency (SSA) le­gal di­rec­tor, was walk­ing to his car on Stan­more Av­enue with his wife and two chil­dren when he was am­bushed by gun­men who pulled along­side him in a black SUV and Nis­san B15 sedan.

In her New Year’s Day mes­sage, the top cop ad­mit­ted, “We may not have achieved our tar­gets, but we have made sig­nif­i­cant progress in our ef­forts to­wards achiev­ing them, and even though it may not be im­me­di­ate­ly ap­par­ent, I can as­sure you that the coun­try has ben­e­fit­ted from it.”

She urged the coun­try not to dis­count or un­der­es­ti­mate the sub­stan­tial amount of in­tel­li­gence and op­er­a­tional work done by the TTPS in pre­vent­ing, de­tect­ing and pros­e­cut­ing crime.

Hare­wood-Christo­pher claimed, “The high ev­i­den­tial thresh­old that cur­rent­ly ex­ists for the lay­ing of gang-re­lat­ed charges has op­er­at­ed to un­der­mine our ef­forts to im­prove our de­tec­tion rate,” adding, “The TTPS re­mains ful­ly com­mit­ted to pro­tect­ing and serv­ing our Na­tion.”

Look­ing ahead to 2025, she reaf­firmed the TTPS’ com­mit­ment to do bet­ter as she said their ef­forts were be­ing, “con­stant­ly erod­ed by the ac­tions of a per­sis­tent crim­i­nal el­e­ment whose on­ly busi­ness, it seems, is to in­vent and per­pe­trate crime.”

She ap­pealed to cit­i­zens to as­sume per­son­al re­spon­si­bil­i­ty in the fight against crime.

Is­su­ing fight­ing words, she urged, “Wher­ev­er we are, and what­ev­er we do, let us use our au­thor­i­ty and our in­flu­ence to ef­fect the change every­one wants and is cry­ing out for.”


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored