JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Friday, April 4, 2025

Agriculture Minister: Food hampers delivered to all constituencies

by

Renuka Singh
1414 days ago
20210521
Minister of Agriculture, Land & Fisheries, Clarence Rambharat.

Minister of Agriculture, Land & Fisheries, Clarence Rambharat.

OFFICE OF THE PARLIAMENT

Agri­cul­ture Min­is­ter Clarence Ramb­harat yes­ter­day gave the as­sur­ance that food ham­pers are be­ing de­liv­ered to all con­stituen­cies.

Ramb­harat at­tend­ed the post-Cab­i­net press brief­ing yes­ter­day at the Diplo­mat­ic Cen­tre, St Ann’s and took Unit­ed Na­tion­al Con­gress (UNC) Mem­ber of Par­lia­ment for San Juan\Barataria Sad­dam Ho­sein to task for not pro­vid­ing names of those in his con­stituen­cy that need the food ham­pers.

At a me­dia con­fer­ence on Wednes­day, Ho­sein said that Ramb­harat was not pro­vid­ing ham­pers for his area.

“It sur­prised me that of all the MP’s he would be one out in the pub­lic talk­ing about that be­cause I re­ceived sev­er­al mes­sages from peo­ple in his con­stituen­cy,” Ramb­harat said.

Ramb­harat read out one mes­sage from a mem­ber of Ho­sein’s con­stituen­cy who said that when she con­tact­ed the MP’s of­fice she was told that there were no ham­pers to give out.

“I know for a fact that we have sent 200 (ham­pers) to that con­stituen­cy,” Ramb­harat said.

Ramb­harat said that the Gov­ern­ment promised 600 food bas­kets and then dou­bled that to 1,200.

“But you will on­ly get your ham­pers if you had in­di­cat­ed that I have 100 names, I have 100 fam­i­lies to give it to. So MP Sad­dam Ho­sein was re­al­ly a shock to me be­cause so far he has on­ly giv­en 200 names,” Ramb­harat said.

The Min­is­ter said that af­ter Ho­sein’s me­dia con­fer­ence on Wednes­day, he ex­pect­ed him to sub­mit 400 names to NAMDE­V­CO for ham­pers.

“I checked and they said to me, no we’ve got­ten noth­ing,” he said.

Ramb­harat said that MP for Moru­ga, Michelle Ben­jamin re­quest­ed an­oth­er 200 to add to the 400 she al­ready got­ten and it was be­ing pre­pared for dis­patch.

Ramb­harat said that Ho­sein “need­ed to get his head ex­am­ined” af­ter he on­ly sup­plied 200 names yet went on a me­dia con­fer­ence seek­ing to blame the Gov­ern­ment for not sup­ply­ing what he nev­er re­quest­ed.

Two non-gov­ern­men­tal or­gan­i­sa­tions in that same area reached out to NAMDE­V­CO and bas­kets were pro­vid­ed to them.

“That gives me some as­sur­ance that while Sad­dam Ho­sein sits wher­ev­er and does noth­ing, two NGO’s got pack­ages,” he said.

He said that while pack­ing up the ham­pers if ex­tras are avail­able, they would be sent to the NGO’s.

Ramb­harat said that Oropouche MP Dr Roodal Mooni­lal has al­ready sur­passed the 400 and may go be­yond the 600 lim­it.

“If he goes be­yond 600 in his com­mu­ni­ty and we are able to deal with it, we would,” he said.

Ramb­harat gave the as­sur­ance that the food ham­pers un­til the end of Au­gust and in the next fi­nan­cial cy­cle will be­come a per­ma­nent part of the Gov­ern­ment’s food out­reach pro­gramme.


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored